Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Mf2 Question

Old 10-15-2004, 11:07 PM
-Fast-Eddie
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mf2 Question

Well I just finished putting my Losi MF2 together after a fun day of work. Well got everything mounted and meshed the pinion and spur good, but it seems my truck just has this really loud winning sound to it. I checked the gear mesh again and again and that was not it. *it's a metal pinion* ripped apart the transmission just to make sure nothing was loose and that didn't seem to be it either. Im just wondering if it could be the metal pinion and the plastic kevlar whatever spur that Losi includes. Any suggestions?
Old 10-16-2004, 08:26 PM
haydn fan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Mf2 Question

Hey Java, you might want to make sure that the pinion gear is the right pitch for the spur (check the manuel). And I know that you checked it over and over again but it sounds like your mesh is too tight. A good way of checking it is to stick a piece of note book (or a little thicker type of paper) in-between the pinion and spur press the two gears together, tighten the motor screws and pull the piece of paper out, that should be the right mesh for the gears. Try that, and let me know how it went and sounded . I would imgine that your mesh was to tight! That's how you learn Enjoy and have a great day!

Rachmaninoff
Old 10-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Speedmunkey
Banned

What kind of motor is it? I ask, cuz I run a D6 sometimes, and it has a very loud whine to it. My Epic has the same whine. I also run a metal pinion and the kevlar spur, and I have no whine when I don't run the Epic or D6..
Old 10-17-2004, 10:04 AM
-Fast-Eddie
My Feedback: (2)

I'm running a fantom stock. Tryed my monster stock, epic stock, pk2k pro.... when the motor is out of course it sounds fine, but when it's in it's horrbile sounding. I check my gear mesh and it's not tight the pitch's of the pinion and the spur are the same.. both 48.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:59 AM
muahaha

have u check the slipper clutchm, it might be lose. or there might be a binding somewhere in the drivetrain.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:20 PM
toddmcm77

Your diff is slipping .... VERY BAD. IT might be the slipper, but that really sounds like your diff is loose.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Memopad

I think you'd know if it was your diff or your slipper....

My guess is that since the truck is brand new, even though you have the gear mesh set good, the gears still have to wear into eachother a little bit. Since you've double checked everything and nothing is bad, i'd try to ignore the sound for a while and just drive the truck and see if it goes away. If it doesn't then you can start looking for other problems, but i'm guessing its just a new truck that needs to be run in a bit.