Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Soldering difficulty

Old 11-29-2004, 03:09 AM
thecrow2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldering difficulty

I am currently running sidebyside stick packs and was rcomended to switch to flat packs so I can equalize, how hard is it to solder battey packs together, I have little soldering experience only soldering together PCB's at school to make things like moisture detectors. How hard would this be?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:16 AM
Dannyhaddon

Default RE: Soldering difficulty

youve gotta use atleast a 30w solder iron if your not using this then the solder isnt likely to stick
Old 11-29-2004, 09:31 AM
aliens8mycow

The hotter the better actually - a 30w iron is probably minimum, and I would expect it to be difficult to get things done with that. A 60w iron or butane iron would be much easier to work with.

Just make sure you flip the batteries opposite directions before you get started so you get + connected to - down the pack. You can get battery building jigs for $10 or so, which will hold them while you solder. Just as easy, you can get some shoe goo and put a bit between each cell and then let them sit overnight before you solder anything. Then you can stand them on end and solder away.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:43 AM
someoneelse
My Feedback: (1)

What they said sounds accurate to me, but make sure to use some flux on all of the contact points, it will make your life easier
Old 11-29-2004, 11:13 AM
muahaha

u might want to pick up a dean's battery jig to make life simple for u. iron choice, i prefer to use an 80watt iron, less time the iron has on the battery the better. especially with nimh batts.