Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Motor getting hot!!!

Old 01-09-2005, 01:21 AM
xxxt11
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor getting hot!!!

I just purchased a 15t Orion Havok and after 3-4 minutes of running it gets pretty hot. Could it be due to driving in a barn where im just spinning the tires to much or is my gearing wrong. I have a 16 tooth pinion on it.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:30 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Motor getting hot!!!

It could be the tire spin, but unless your doing nothing but donuts I dont think that would be the problem, more than likely its your gearing.

Your gear mesh might be too tight as well, check it first.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:31 AM
Speedmunkey
Banned

That gearing sounds ok to me, assuming the spur is stock. I usually run a gear that is +/- 1 tooth of the motor turn to start with. Sometimes though, that don't work. Drop a tooth and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then you have something binding. Exactly how constantly are you on the throttle? Is it an 8 minute donut marathon? That'll help heat it up real quickly..
Old 01-09-2005, 01:34 AM
xxxt11
My Feedback: (2)

Its not really a donut marathon but in his barn the tires never hook up. And I ran it probably around 4-5 minutes at the most. also the speed control gets a lil warm but not bad. is that normal.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:41 AM
Galifrey

If you have a temp gun the motor should be running at somewhere about 60-70 degrees C...

If it gets hotter go smaller on the pinion or smooth out your throttle use...

Old 01-10-2005, 04:22 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: xxxt11

Its not really a donut marathon but in his barn the tires never hook up. And I ran it probably around 4-5 minutes at the most. also the speed control gets a lil warm but not bad. is that normal.
For the ESC...
Warm to the touch is normal (maybe 90-100 degrees, sounds hot but keep in mind the temp inside your mouth is in the upper 90's), but if you can feel heat radiating off it, or burn yourslef on it then its way too hot, but by that point it more than likely would have stopped working.