Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

30+ mph E-maxx

Old 02-04-2005, 01:45 PM
SkrapIron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30+ mph E-maxx

Ok , I have seen post after post from people who want to ride me out of town on a rail, because I dare say that the E-maxx is only about a 23 mph truck. I am saying that in it's STOCK setup, with 2 6 cell 7.2 volt packs, it is only capable of the afore mentioned 23 mph. How do you get 30 mph out of the E-maxx? Please read the following clip of an article published by Traxxas :

"Here’s a cool trick that many of you may not know about; installing two 7-cell battery packs into your E-Maxx. That’s right! 14-cells for unbelievable dirt-churning power. Now you can run side-by-side with your buddy’s T-Maxx and still reap the benefits of the high-torque, twin 550 Titan Motors.

In a recent test performed here at Traxxas, box-stock E-Maxxes were blazing well into the 30 mph zone when outfitted with performance-matched dual 7-cell battery packs. The extra 2.4 volts really has an impact on the performance of the electric monster.

Now, some of you may be wondering, “Will this hurt my EVX?” The experts at Novak Electronics (designer and manufacturer of the EVX) have informed us that as long as you stick with the stock Titan motors there should be no problems created by using extra voltage. We do not recommend operating the EVX on 14 cells with any other motor system than the stock Traxxas Titans. The use of after-market, modified motors along with 14-cells, could permanently damage the EVX and will also void the 30-day factory warranty.

Of course all of the typical preventative maintenance checks should be made before running the mighty E-Maxx, such as making sure that the drive-train operates smooth and freely, that the pinion/spur gear mesh is adjusted correctly, and that the slipper clutch adjustment is tight. If there is any kind of binding in the drive system then, the problems will be amplified with the extra power and exceptional damage could result.

In order to take your E-Maxx to the next level you’re going to need two 7-cell battery packs. Off-the shelf 7-cell battery packs that are commonly available from your hobby dealer will not fit into the E-Maxx chassis without modifications. We’re going to show you two different options for building your own custom 7-cell packs. "

Surprise! It's a fast truck, when properly equipped, with 2 custom 7 cell 8.4 volt packs. However, your run time is going to be cut by about 30% ( the dirty little secret ) to around 9 minutes.

At 8.4 volts, the titan motors are turning about 32000 rpm. compared to around 24000 rpm at 7.2 volts. The motors will wear faster, at the higher voltage. Hence speed costs. In this case, longevity of the motors.

So what?

We need a bit of Truth in Advertising. It is the same truck, but runs much faster with the CUSTOM setup ( Yes the 7 cell battery is considered CUSTOM) We have a responsibility to the people who use this site as a reference to give accurate information when we make a claim. Simply giving a result, without explaining how it was achieved is misleading and can disappoint many first time RC modelers when their vehicle doesnt live up to our claims. This is even more true, when we make changes to a stock setup.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:49 PM
45mph pede
Banned

Default RE: 30+ mph E-maxx

Well... if you say 7cells unstock, then my running of the emaxx at 32mph was unstock. . .

The stampede hitting 27mph was on 7cells... so is that to consitered unstock because millions of people can get them on a case of false advertising.
-Wes
Old 02-04-2005, 02:21 PM
SkrapIron

That's what I mean by, Truth in Advertising. You ran a stock truck with a pair of high voltage batteries. You and I both know that. But if a noob were to come by and see your post, they could run right down to Hobbytown and dump $359.00 on an E-maxx and a pair of batteries and expect the same from their truck. It's not accurate, even though it's correct. You see, there is a qualifer to your statement. By adding a higher voltage source to your truck, you got better performance results. But, you either had to modify your chassis to accept a standard 7 cell pack, , or you bought custom batteries. Again, soemthing a noob wouldn't think about or understand. Even the type of batteries will make a difference. We use matched cells. that equates to more available voltage and more current. Most people just starting out get a radio shack sport pack and expect the same results. Again, we need to be careful in how we approach our posts.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Mike Ledbetter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 02-04-2005, 02:31 PM
SkrapIron

Thanks for the research Mike! A bit more expensive than the $15.00 Pirannah 1500 Nicd!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:34 PM
SkrapIron

Pede,

Your stampede at 27mph. What was your setup? Obviously a 7 cell pack, but what was the rest of your setup?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:49 PM
45mph pede
Banned

Thats not my pede, thats traxxas testing it.
-Wes
Old 02-04-2005, 02:56 PM
SkrapIron

Gotcha,

I haven't seen the Traxxas data, but yeah. If they were using a 7 cell pack for the test, they probably qualified it with, you know, the little *. Then you have to read the small print at the bottom of the page .. * results acheived using a 12 volt car battery, the motor out of a dust buster, running down hill, with a tail wind. your results may vary.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:35 PM
RaVen1357

The speed of 30 mph is posted and propagated by Traxxas, but if you look real close at the bottom of the catalog page, it does tell you how they did it.
They used 2-7cell 2400mAh packs, just like you noted. Of course they tell you the "30 mph" part real big and the "7-cell packs" in 3 point font.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:45 PM
YzakB4DDRG

Trust me, you couldn't do with a 12v car battery and a dust buster motor, the thing will literally heat upto 200 degreesF is less than 10 seconds.... and if that little fan blade thing is still stuck on the armature shaft... prepare to have S-H-A-R-P plastic fragments stuck on yourself... the room you're working in, if outside, then nearby trees.... It's literally suicide to try taht... wait... nevermind, that was with a 23volt batrery. it wouldn't hurt as much using a 12volt... just a little word of advice....Dying hurts like hell....
Old 02-04-2005, 06:02 PM
45mph pede
Banned

I haven't seen the Traxxas data, but yeah. If they were using a 7 cell pack for the test, they probably qualified it with, you know, the little *. Then you have to read the small print at the bottom of the page .. * results acheived using a 12 volt car battery, the motor out of a dust buster, running down hill, with a tail wind. your results may vary.
Actualy it says it right under the speed... If you chose not to read that, then thats your problem. Thats also only on 7cells. Not down a hill and all that other crazy stuff you talked about. Yes they probably ran it for 300yards, but pretty much every other company does that with there trucks.
-Wes
Old 02-04-2005, 07:04 PM
mudman257

ORIGINAL: YzakB4DDRG

Trust me, you couldn't do with a 12v car battery and a dust buster motor, the thing will literally heat upto 200 degreesF is less than 10 seconds.... and if that little fan blade thing is still stuck on the armature shaft... prepare to have S-H-A-R-P plastic fragments stuck on yourself... the room you're working in, if outside, then nearby trees.... It's literally suicide to try taht... wait... nevermind, that was with a 23volt batrery. it wouldn't hurt as much using a 12volt... just a little word of advice....Dying hurts like hell....
......you want to explain that one? that sounds interesting!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:16 PM
SkrapIron

The sarchasm of my last post has been lost. I think I'll just use a weed-eater.....But I need another disclaimer for that.

Could you do me a favour, Pede? I just spent about 10 min. looking over the Traxxas site. I did not find any information on the Stampede reaching 27mph. Perhaps for the edification of all, you could post the URL where we could see the data. I'm curious what Traxxas wrote in the article. They do tend to be pretty misleading in their claims. How else could the convince people that their Rustler is somehow in the same catergory as a Losi XXX?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:34 PM
45mph pede
Banned

Serously skrap iron... CHILL Its a hobby...

Hobby/An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hobby
Hobby = Fun/pleasure

Sorry, I miss-spoke its 23mph, and heres the link: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...hreadid=110579
I know you guys dont like links to other forums, but thats the only place they realy say that info.
Thanks,
-Wes
Old 02-04-2005, 09:47 PM
SkrapIron

Thanks for the post, Pede.

I think you are overlooking the purpose of this forum. Like I said in post 1, WE who are veterans in the hobby have an obligation to post information that is ACCURATE. Had I not asked you to check your stats, someone reading this thread might just beleive the 27mph claim and taken it as gospel. Dude, I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but when you post something and pass it off as fact, make sure it is. Especially here. I really get tired of some of the rediculous claims that people espouse as fact with not a shred of proof behind it. I was a noob too. I looked to forums like this for answers. We are the experts, like it or not. We need to post those answers.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Brianfast
Banned

no Its at the bottom of the page where they tell u
Old 02-04-2005, 10:52 PM
aliens8mycow

ORIGINAL: SkrapIron

Thanks for the post, Pede.

I think you are overlooking the purpose of this forum. Like I said in post 1, WE who are veterans in the hobby have an obligation to post information that is ACCURATE. Had I not asked you to check your stats, someone reading this thread might just beleive the 27mph claim and taken it as gospel. Dude, I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but when you post something and pass it off as fact, make sure it is. Especially here. I really get tired of some of the rediculous claims that people espouse as fact with not a shred of proof behind it. I was a noob too. I looked to forums like this for answers. We are the experts, like it or not. We need to post those answers.
I'd have to agree with pede here - we're getting a little on the technical side. As an open forum, every member has the right to say what's on their mind, whether it's true or not, just as you have a right to tell them that they're wrong. And not trying to fuel the flames, but what online forums did you frequent in 1981?
Old 02-04-2005, 11:51 PM
supernova803

SkrapIron, do you look for controversy in every post you put?
Old 02-05-2005, 09:25 AM
DarkSavageX

i dont know about you guys but i really dont care about the speed. its a monster truck. its wasnt made to go fast. the emaxx is for tourqe. sure you can make it go faster. but whats the fun in that. if you want fast get a car
Old 02-05-2005, 11:06 AM
SkrapIron

Funny Alien. I used my TRS80 with its external tape drive.... When I started, there was only LHS that carried anything for rc at all. Most of what I bought was through catalogs. Truth is, I learned most of what I know about RC building an flying model airplanes on a 27mhz am radio. Most of what I know is learned through ALOT of trial, and ALOT of error, over the last 24 years.

supernova,
I don't look for problems, but I will point them out when I find them. Its the same thing with my kids. When they make a mistake, I have to make sure they learn from it. My dad did the same thing. I guess it comes from being a parent.

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But, I have alot of experience and I know what works and I know what doesn't. Had I been a kid with this kind of a resource ( this forum ) I could have spent alot less money, and saved a few more models from a grisly death. Yeah, we can exchange ideas, setups and advice. But, when we do, remember that we're not the only ones reading this. This is a public site, where ALOT of noobs get their information. If we go around misrepresenting the facts about what a certain component or car can do, then we are doing a dis-service to those who are asking the questions. Case in point, is my 13 year old neighbor, Mike. He took someone's advice from school and spent $345.00 on an RT10T3 RTR, charger and 2 batteries. He brought it out, and was stunned that his RT10 wasn't anywhere near as fast as his friend had advertised it being. 1. He spent too much money on the kit and batteries. 2. He ran out, bought a 15 turn motor and a 25 tooth pinion ( again his friends suggestion ) and proceeded to roast both of his packs and his ESC. Now he has a stationary model, no batteries, and no money. That's not cool!

I see the same thing with kids at the highschool trying to push 200 hp out of their Honda Civics. The get a cool sounding car, that blows up after a few thousand miles, then they wonder why?

Sorry If I sound like a dad, but I am!
[8D][&:]
Old 02-05-2005, 11:35 AM
45mph pede
Banned

I see the same thing with kids at the highschool trying to push 200 hp out of their Honda Civics. The get a cool sounding car, that blows up after a few thousand miles, then they wonder why?
I drive a stang

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But, I have alot of experience and I know what works and I know what doesn't. Had I been a kid with this kind of a resource ( this forum ) I could have spent alot less money, and saved a few more models from a grisly death. Yeah, we can exchange ideas, setups and advice. But, when we do, remember that we're not the only ones reading this. This is a public site, where ALOT of noobs get their information. If we go around misrepresenting the facts about what a certain component or car can do, then we are doing a dis-service to those who are asking the questions.
I know of about 2 people on this forum that might do that. There are people on these forums with sponcerships, and 30cars, and that have been in the hobby for 40yrs. (hehe a8mc) Yes there are also newbie's, but I know in my heart that no one here would deleberatly misslead some one into buying somthing. Honestly why the the heck would they. Yes people have there own opinions about which basher is the best, or which racer is the best. Thats why its awsome here, you can get 30 different people from accross the world telling you what there set up is, and how and why its better then your current set up.

We have all wasted money on somthing one time or another, my superbrain 959 is a good exsample, but if I were to start a thread right now saying should I get a 959 or somthing eles 99.9% of the people here would say "NOOO! GET SOMETHING ELES!!!"

Im sorry about your neighbor, but theres no reason to go on a crusade here, were not the kid at school telling your neighbor to buy stuff, were the people trying to prevent that. About 40% of the people here are dads, they dont like to see this eather, they have the same feelings as you.

Personaly I have to get about 10 things saying "you need to replace this..." or "this is much better then what you currently have..." to get my parents to let me spend 50$ I think if I told my dad that I was going to buy all this stuff because some kid told me at school it would work, my dad would say no, then I would have to prove to him that the kid was wright. Im glad my parents do this becuase it makes you not rush into things, and helps you think about what you might realy need.
-Wes
Old 02-05-2005, 11:44 AM
aliens8mycow

And as a parent, I've realized that my kids won't learn from my mistakes. I wouldn't learn from my parents' mistakes either - they'd tell me something, along with a long story about their own hardships, but of course I would be different and prove them wrong. We all know how that goes - after we learn the hard way, we realize that they were right. My kids are the same way - I can lecture 'til I'm outta breath, but until they screw up on their own, they won't believe me. ('cause I'm an old dud that doesn't know anything!)

I understand your point about providing accurate info for people that use this site as a resource. I think everyone here tries to do that, whether they have researched for months on a particular topic or whether they just state what they like or what they think. The fact is, though, that none of us have signed any legal disclaimers, and anyone reading this forum needs to realize that you can't believe everything you read. That's the beauty of having 30 or 50 posts on a topic - you can easily see who is making educated statements, and who is just babbling in between, and make your own judgement based on the combination.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:54 AM
SkrapIron

Good for you, Wes! When you say that nobody would Deliberately mislead anyone, you are right. It's the unintentional slip-ups that get us all in trouble from time to time. However, I have read here, and a few other forums where someone is giving bad, or worse plain wrong advice. ( best example " You can get your Trx Bandit to 30 mph, just change the motor and put in a 30 tooth pinion!" What??? I don't think so.) I have watched this forum for over a year, before I ever contributed. I have read alot of advice and setups. Some good, some bad, some brutally wrong. But, it's here where we can exchange Ideas and setups and help each other experement with finding that really hooked up car.

By the way, I could write a testimonial for you to give to your dad that the VIS matched gp3600 cells will directly contribute to better grades in school!

As for me, the snow is melted off the parkinglot. I'm off to run the snot out of my truck![8D] Cabin fever!

later!