Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

4WD T4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 02:06 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD T4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey, im thinking of doing something cool. take a rising storm kit, and a t4 team kit. then i put all the t4 things on the rising storm chassis. then its a 4wd t4! so a rising storm chassis, with t4 a-arms and body posts and shock towers and shocks, and all that good stuff.

how does that sound?

any advice? take note this will be made to race.

it will have the t4's wheels and body too.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:14 PM
traxxspirit

Default RE: 4WD T4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck. its going to be hard as heck though.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:15 PM
MBX5T Maniac

it'll be fun! especially on a rainy day. horray!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Racer L

Why don't you just buy a Durango 4WD, and save some money and time! The Durango is based on the TC3 and 4!
Old 03-27-2005, 03:28 PM
MBX5T Maniac

becuase im talkin about combining the T4, not the tc4, and the rising storm kits together.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:37 PM
krs_fastestmini

a tc4 with t4 shock towers, shocks and a-arms??

maybe??......
Old 03-27-2005, 08:39 PM
MBX5T Maniac

a tc4 costs than a rising storm.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:31 PM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

i thought about doing the same thing (sorda) except mine may be called AWD and used onroad. i have already custom designed a tc3, i can take that and modify the steering and the arm spacing and mounting and will have a awd t4. i think the chassis i have will hold 12 cells flat (no stacking) and would be a creat canadate for a nonsensored brushless. besides, wouldnt it be much more fun to smoke touring cars than trucks??

ps. the 4wd or awd truck will prolly fall into design sometime after i finish the t4 oval conversions.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:51 PM
MBX5T Maniac

okay, so do you think i should go for it?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Speedmunkey
Banned

I think it's a waste of time, cuz combining Tamiya's plastic with anything just ends up with another toy-grade RC. If you wannt do it for the personal satisfaction of saying "I built my own Frankenbuggy", then go for it. But if you are doing it for financial gains or racing, it's a wasted effort.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:27 PM
MBX5T Maniac

how should i make it race worthy. i mean, only the chassis is from the tamiya kit. the rest is t4.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:28 AM
YzakB4DDRG

I disagree on your part Speedmunkey, Tamiya kits aren't like toy-grade R/C vehicles... as I recall from reading and researching, Tamiya is the brand that re-invented R/C... Tamiya was the first brand to come out with the first high-quality R/C vehicles. Though most of Tamiya's kits will not be able to hold up to what we have today (excluding the TRF415)... Tamiya should be given more respect than that. Personally, I think Tamiya is a great brand, they scored big time with the TNX and 415, they may even get better. Honestly, I think the T-Maxx, E-Maxx and the Revo have too much hype, I don't see anything special with them... I don't know why everyone has a T-Maxx, Rustler, or even a Stampede or a 4-Tec... Even with the Evader series of vehicles... maintaining and racing an Evader costs more than twice what the vehicle originally costed...

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread... BACK TO TOPIC:

If you want to make it raceworthy, I suggest a high-end speed control, you have many choices, I'd suggest a Novak Cyclone C2, GT7 or the GTX. I've heard many good things about Tamiya's high-performance VOLAC MS esc and I'm going to pick one up after money gets flexible. I'd also suggest a high performance steering servo and servo saver, for servo I'd suggest Hitec's HS-645-MG or the 945 model. A good motor, personally I detest the Reedy 19-Spec Quad Mag... it'll drain your batteries faster than other comparable 19T motors. I'd also suggest purchasing batteris from Fusion Batteries, they have good quality batteries... But don't take my words to heart, overall it's your model, and it is also of personal preference, so go with whatever suits you.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:43 AM
MBX5T Maniac

so should i do it or forget it?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:42 PM
EdsWords

I would advise you against it.

Even if you succeed all you will have when you are done is a Tamiya Rising Storm with extra long suspension arms and stadium truck wheels & tires.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:53 AM
sean I
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

I agree bad idea,let the experts design.Besides i wouldnt ruin either of those kits on a broke project like that.Hey if you wanna get rid of those kits let me know i will be glad to take them off your hands.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:35 PM
sleepy23

ORIGINAL: sean I

I agree bad idea,let the experts design.
i have to disagree with that comment. the guys the design these vehicles design for production and manufacturability. they make compromises for the sake of keeping the kits cheaper. now granted, i wouldnt just half-***** something together, i would do some computer design and prototyping first.
personally i say go for it, but i would make my own chassis out of cf and then make the needed mounts to get the hardware mounted.
keep this thread alive or keep in touch we me, i do plan on starting on a 4wd or awd t4 sometime in the near future.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:31 PM
MBX5T Maniac

okay, STAY ALIVE THREAD! i don't know if i could afford a custom chassis. how much would that cost?
Old 04-01-2005, 08:04 PM
sleepy23

the chassis costs typically depend on material and if you can do something yourself. if not, i would assume a chassis is gonna run between 50 - 100 bucks
Old 04-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Speedmunkey
Banned

Tamiya makes roughly 14,369 different cars/trucks/vehicular type things.. Of those, 4-5 are worth putting on a racetrack. My comments aren't about those 4 or 5 cars. They're about the other toy-grade cars/trucks/vehicular type things. Don't get me wrong, back in the day, Tamiya was a lot of fun and they still are today. But, 99% of their line is aimed at bashers, and aren't serious racing designs. That's ok, cuz those bashers WANT them that way. I'm not faulting Tamiya for it, just stating a fact. Traxxas is the same way, 100%. They don't target racers. They target newbies that don't know any better, and that wanna drive something without the trouble of building it. That's not a bad thing, that's their niche. The T-Maxx and all the rest of the Traxxas line are so popular for that reason.

My answer to his question was based on the fact that most bashers, paticularly young ones, think you can slap stuff together from multiple kits and have a new kit. Sometimes that works, obviously stadium trucks came about by that method. But more often than not, it becomes a money pit with no forseeable bottom. As stated, it's better to leave the design process to those that are better qualified to make it happen. I agree with Sleepy, most of the time a company's design team is working with money savings on the brain, and not performance. Lots of people at our level have the capability to design a better mousetrap. Lots more only think they do. I don't know Rustler's engineering background, but it takes a bit of knowledge to make a properly functioning vehicle happen. If he's got it, then more power to him. If not, then I don't expect the next BIG thing to come from this project. Good luck with it though.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:27 AM
sleepy23

looks like its gonna require some mods to the suspension arms and the hinge pins and pin holders and shock towers. other than that, i dont think the awd t4 will be too much of a problem. only thing is if i persue this task...it just means more money it will cost me to pimp it out. i think i will keep with the 2wd for now and jjust focus on getting some of my other custom parts made.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:59 AM
jkrustchinsky
Banned
My Feedback: (7)

nothing is perfect, a new manufactureer that made awesome scale cars and race ready cars would be awesome. basically a better tamiya! josh
Old 04-02-2005, 12:39 PM
full-race geoff

1) you can buy a bj4 and put t4 arms on it

or

2) you can modify a tc4 w/ t4 arms
Old 04-02-2005, 01:02 PM
sleepy23

theres no real fun in that though.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:17 PM
S.A.E.W.O.T.
Banned

yea it's us gonna piss u off, and be really frustrating![X(]
Old 04-02-2005, 02:02 PM
full-race geoff

there may be "no real fun" but there are very real reasons to do it this way

1) real ackerman
2) real instant centers
3) real roll centers
4) perfect camber curves

and many other reasons. If you want your car to handle poorly, i recommend using your tamiya chassis. If you want it to work well i recommend using associated suspension geometry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.