Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

XXX-T Sport RTR II???? Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:10 PM
P-Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XXX-T Sport RTR II???? Help

Ok I have looked at some cars now that i am off my missions. I looked at the pede and the lossi. i am leaning towards the lossi. I need a suggestion on some bad ass motor. something crazy. money doesn't exist. maybe sus system. basicly everything that would make this thing ****. Sorry i am a newb. and i am in iraq. i got the battery thing figured out from the help of elmo.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:20 PM
losixxx-nt

Default RE: XXX-T Sport RTR II???? Help

the less # of turns in a motor the more often you will have to cut the comm.
and if you are in iraq then i am sure that there isnt a hobby store around the courner so you would have to buy a lathe
you might be better off getting a 19 turn, but if you get a lathe then get a 12 turn.
also you would need to get a good esc ( super rooster, unlimited motor limit and up to 10 cell batterys)
Old 04-11-2005, 02:33 PM
P-Rat

ooooooo boy this sound like this rc car stuff is going to be nuts. but sweet cause it will give me something to do on my down time. ok first off what is cutting the comm and what the hell do you have to do with a lathe. and how much are lathes?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:38 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I wouldnt get the super rooster, Its quite large/heavy, and is pretty inefficient.

For $80 you can get the tekin G10+, handles 10 cells, smaller/lighter than the super rooster, is more efficient, and just all around better.

The Dually is another good ESC, its $90.

For the motor, Id get a handwound 10x2. Very fast, but not crazy. Youll have to get the comm cut quite often though, possibly every week depending on how much you run it. So yeah, a comm lathe is pretty much necesarry unless youve got a nearby hobbyshop that can do it, being in Iraq though Im doubting youll have one close enough to go to every week or two.

Cutting the comm is putting it on a special Comm lathe, and cutting it back to perfect condition. Once you run a motor the comm gets low spots, burned, dirty, etc. When you cut it on a lathe it comes out perfectly round/clean and good as good new again.

You can get a cheaper lathe for about 80 bucks, then you need a motor for it (about $20), a power supply of some sort, a sharpie marker, and cutting fluid.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:21 PM
45mph pede
Banned

Your in Iraq, I would forget about all of the motor term stuff, and all of the esc's (not totaly becuase you will eventualy want to know what the heck ur doing!) and get a nice brushless motor system. That alone will get you going faster than your friends. Plus you dont need to cut the comm. thus you dont need a lathe.

The losi's are nice, and they are fast, but they break easyer than a rusty, just so you know. They are designed to be fast, and fast, and some times they have to compromise the inner structure or make up of the structure, making it more vonerable to breakage. Traxxas has accsepted that the rusty wont make a-main, so they just build it out of the strongest (also heavyest) stuff out there.
-Wes
Old 04-11-2005, 05:04 PM
P-Rat

cool thanks for the advice. a bruchless huh? so how much do those normally run and what is a good site to pick one up?
any suggestions on types of brushless motors would be real nice. my internet is so slow and it is hard to check around on here. takes me a hour to like look through 3 websites lol.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Elmo6s
My Feedback: (1)

The cheapest brushless setup is the Novak Supersport SS5800, which you can probabely get for about $190. The next level up is the Feigao/Warrior combo from RC-Monster.com, but you need matched cells which will cost you some more money. If you use the Novak system, it will run with my batts (Boom Boom Batteries).
Old 04-11-2005, 06:10 PM
RaVen1357

For the motor, I'm saying the reedy Spec 19. Not terribly fast, but faster than the ruslter's stock motor, and has lower maintinance needs (versus a 10-turn).
A brushless? If money is an issue, Novak has the super sport SS5800 that would fit your bill.

For the vehicle, get the Losi if you plan to race your buddies, the Stampede isn't that good of a performer, but can turn tighter and handle rougher terrain than the Rustlers. As for the XXX-T's ruggedness, mine has been through everything my Rustler went through and came out just as well.

Novak SS5800: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDDD7&P=0
Reedy Spec 19: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGCH1&P=0
Old 04-11-2005, 08:02 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

You guys are forgetting the super STOCK brushless!!!

LOL. I just ordered one because I dont need all that speed that you would get from the super sport. Anyway, how much room do you have to run? It would be great to get a nice brushless motor just to find out you dont have enough room to really get a good value out of it.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGDP6&P=RT

Thats the super stock motor system.

Yes the rusty will take a POUNDING. I cant tell you the stuff that my rusty has been through and survived EASILY. The only problem that I've had with mine is the stripping of gears (went through like two slipper clutches awhile back because I used a pinion that had a different pitch than the slipper clutch [yea I know that wasnt the brightest thing, but I didnt know any better!] and I just recently stripped an idler gear) but other than that, no damage. Ive got some dirt on it and thats about it. Just get bearings and bearing carriers, a brushless motor, and an alum idler gear and your set.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:23 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

That copper thing is the comm. Its what the brushes ride on.

And what like Capone12 said, the rusty will survive alot. When my Rust-O-Pede was a rusty, I smashed it into curbs, jumped off a 5' ramp, and all I did was break the body a little.

Hope this helps
Old 04-17-2005, 08:33 PM
flyinazn10

did you choose what to do? i need a new motor for my XXX-T. although im not in iraq, i dont really go to the LHS too often, and i'm not into having to replace something every week. would i be able to go fast, keeping the stock ESC? im thinking i need to get one with higher performance and match a motor to that....wait err other way around. match esc to motor. so, my budget is tight, no real limit, but im looking for something under $150....unless brushless is REALLY worth it.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:35 PM
flyinazn10

also, anyone know where i could find video of the XXX-T with a certain set up i could be interested in?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Tarkus

See my response here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Firs...2873530/tm.htm

Tarkus
Old 05-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Viper 15

try the novak ss5800 brushless system. no maitinence fast.