Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

returning fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 02:42 PM
b16_madman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default returning fan

Hi. I used to own a traxxas rustler and had fun with that but I broke it a lot so I got out of the hobby of r/c for a while. (too expensive and I have a real car I mod also)

Anywho a couple months ago I bought a used Schumacher 99 pro that has been hopped up with carbon fiber chassis, and anodized aluminum all over the place. Forgive me I do not know a ton about the on road electrics, except that it's fun as heck to drift inside the big buildings on our college campus.

Setup:
shumacher car
futaba radio and steering servo
traxxas 20 turn? i think motor, it's ho hum, i believe the large gear is around a high 70 tooth
some saddle pack of 1400 milliamp
some esc i forgot who makes it

Run time is probably 15-20 min. Charged up in 15 min or so.

I enjoy this stuff once more, plan to buy a nice new body and some wheels for it. (i'd like to find a old school import body, or a subaru sti body, or something honda)
I'm really into jdm for my real car and it would be fun to make it look like something along those lines also.

I really want it to go a lot faster, so I assume a bettery set of batteries and a quicker motor is in need.

I've heard you can outrun your speed control, any info on this? I don't have pics of it yet, sorry.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:57 PM
aintskeered
Banned

Default RE: returning fan

also get sum new pinion gears...more teeth with more top end-less acceleration...less teeth with more acceleration-less top end i think that's how it goes but it depends on what motor u want and what u want to use it for...also get some ball bearings and tire size also plays a factor in speed...
dave
Old 05-15-2005, 05:25 PM
b16_madman

Assuming that pinion gear is on the shaft of the motor I see where just balls out top speed would be fun. Admittedly I usually drift the thing just playing around, so possibly just lightning bolt accel would be best. I can see now how the turns of the motor affect this little ratio you can cook up.
The ball bearings, do they go on the wheels or something? I've never seen any. Wheel/tire size makes sense, is a staggered wheel/tire size a good idea for 4wd touring?
One more thing, with the awd system what is the ratio of the % of power split, with a long belt to go to the front, and a small to the back? hugghhhrrrggh too many ratios
Old 05-15-2005, 06:43 PM
aintskeered
Banned

the ball bearings is what hooks up to the tire from the arms i think so if u get sum that aren't very smooth then the motor will have to push just that much more to make ur tires spin and robbing u of speed and battery charge.
dave
Old 05-15-2005, 06:49 PM
aintskeered
Banned

i don't want my post time to run out after making a long thought out post so i am posting again with the last bit of info:yes a staggered tire-i have an ok idea of what staggered means,not to sure though-will help with 4wd becuz when using the power of a 4wd rc u won't want to be sliding around in the dirt-r u saying that u will be bashing with it?-and it's almost always a good idea to have staggered tires if ur not a full time racer...good for messing around house( i don't mean inside though!)...i'm a newb to this so i don't know about power split percentage stuff but that doesn't mean that my info isn't valid...
dave
Old 05-15-2005, 09:52 PM
b16_madman

Na I appreciate the info. I'm not going to get tooo big into this hobby simply b/c of college, real car, etc. but I will change it up some.

Staggered tire/wheel: wider rear wheel/tire. I will most likely have to contact Schumacher on the % split of power.

Split: Say you have a 300 hp subaru sti, adjustable (they are at least) you can have 30% in front and 70% in rear, just curious on what the r/c's usually are equipped with.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:02 PM
aintskeered
Banned

oh yah power split well i don't the ratio but yah i actually changed my power split from 50/50 to 70/30 wait if u mean how the power will be supplied then it's even because for all 4wd electrics there are two motors, two batteries-i think two batteries.
dave
Old 05-15-2005, 10:02 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

get some gp3300 batteries from boomboombatteries.com, and a better motor
Old 05-16-2005, 10:08 AM
b16_madman

As important as the better batteries are, a better charger would make sense also to buy. I wouldn't want to spend $50 unless the 15 min quick charger w/trickle charge afterwards will be sufficient for it. This is mainly a precautionary thing not I'm a retarded person. My money definately isn't endless, but I do look forward to upgrading all of those items. A 17 or 15 turn motor with the 3300 batteries would give a lot more zip and hopefully longer run times.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:52 AM
aintskeered
Banned

well i'd actually suggest a $50 charger cuz that's how much mine was and it chargers for about 15min. max depending on if u fully drained the power of ur battery or not and it has had no problems what so ever so far...great charger (DYNAMITE:vision peak2 is the name)
dave
Old 05-17-2005, 03:22 PM
muahaha

battery - bigger mah = more run time, match packs = more punch
motor - smaller number = faster motor = bigger ratio = quicker battery drainage
esc - limit on esc define how low a motor u can use
charger - a better more expensive charger will look after ur battery better.

all tc are 50/50 torque split. closes we can adjust power delivery is using overdrive gear or different type of front diff or a combination of both.

nowadays in rc, u basically get what u pay for.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:19 AM
b16_madman

i see, but i thought schumacher was a good brand? oh well it was only $50