Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

brushless motor mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:19 AM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless motor mod

Just wondering if anyone has taken their Novak brushless apart? I saw motor shaft, with the magnets mounted on it, for sale for like 15 bucks. i was thinking of picking this up and trying to mod it to make it lighter. i do have a couple of ideas, none of which i want to share just yet. however it seems to me that if i can get the magents off, then i will be left with the delema of how to get them back onto the shaft, in the correct postion and how to ensure they stay in place. also, is it same to say that the bearings should counteract a very slight imbalance in the shaft due to machining, remaking, or some other process? would i run a high risk of toasting the motor should i modify that shaft? i ask all this cuz i dont want to drop the cash just yet for a new system, but the novak in my offroad t4 is a freakin dog, it needs alot of help in reducing mass.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:21 AM
losiracer753

Default RE: brushless motor mod

no you should wait till you can get the GTB 6.5
Old 09-01-2005, 11:48 AM
AS-EE

then i will be left with the delema of how to get them back onto the shaft, in the correct postion and how to ensure they stay in place
Thats my concern. Also there is another problem, those magnet bars are arranged as N, S, N, S (and so on) around the rotor. There is one thing you can do though. You can use one of the magents as a reference magnet. Now make sure to paint one of the sides of the reference magnet so you don't get confused as to which side is being used to tell if the other magnets are repelling or attracting. Then you can place the magnet bars in respect to which is attracting the reference magnet and which is repeling and ,therefore you will have the orientation back to N, S, N, S (or at least not the same polarity to adjacent ones on the rotor).
Old 09-01-2005, 12:11 PM
SkrapIron

The other consideration is the neodynium itself. The substance is very brittle, and subject to damage from water as well as solvents. How on earth would you dissolve the bonds, without harming the magnets?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:19 PM
sleepy23

well i believe i can modify it w/o too much problem. for 15 bucks, its worth trying..if i screw it up, i just pop the old one back in and send it to novak.
my next system will NOT be a Novak...i plan on getting a second system with some actual power. the 6s will go into the offroader with its 400+ power that skrap determined. a 700 or 1200 watt lehner will be coming to power the evo.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:12 PM
sleepy23

well took the novak apart to look at it, i think i can cut a few grams of rotating mass out of it, just need to check something with our machine shop supervisor to see if its possible.
i did see another possibility to build in a small heat sink into the endball, just wondering if it is worth it ( like 15 bucks for the part)
got bored and swapped out some crews on the motor....dropped .9grams
Old 09-02-2005, 05:51 AM
jaejw1

well the 5.5 novak should be very fast.. once i get mine i will let you know
Old 09-02-2005, 07:23 AM
SkrapIron

Sleepy,

The can itself acts as the heat sink. The windings are embedded on the walls of the can, and the heat is transferred directly to the can. The only way to increase the can's ability to disipate heat is to increase it's surface area. But that will also add weight.

As for the rotor: the mass of the rotor creates inertia to propel the rotor through the field. If you cut the mass by too much, it will also lose inertia, and thus lose efficiency and power. Worst case senario: it lacks inertia to make it from energized winding to energized winding and the motor coggs real badly.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:38 AM
sleepy23

thats all well and great once you get it, but my deal is that i dont want to buy another motor and controller until i sell some other stuff. so what i want to do is see if i can modify what i have first. i personally dont feel like the novaks pack the power i want. now granted, if you are racing, you may not be able to use it all, but you have it there if you need it. but until my stuff sells, i wil be keeping the novak, but just mod it and see how that works.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Speedmunkey
Banned

I considered sticking it on a lathe and cutting some grooves in the magnet. Would lighten it up quite a bit. Then I read how delicate the magnets are, and decided not to bother.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:58 AM
The wise guy

Would that really make a difference in performance by lightening up the shaft and magnets a few grams?. I'd dare to say that the guys at novak engineer their products to offer the best performance out of the box.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Speedmunkey
Banned

heheheheh ok
Old 09-02-2005, 01:39 PM
sleepy23

ORIGINAL: The wise guy

Would that really make a difference in performance by lightening up the shaft and magnets a few grams?. I'd dare to say that the guys at novak engineer their products to offer the best performance out of the box.
haahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thats is the funniest thing i have heard all day. let me clue you in to how the real world of design and manufacturing works.....

COSTS DRIVE EVERYTHING........ why would Novak lighten the shaft for that added little bit of performance when they can already sell it as is?
novaks (and everyone else) has a product sales cost, from that cost and predicted units they can sell, the company works backwards to reduce cost everywhere they can. usually it falls on the design groups to cut corners.

basically it boils down to the pure and simple fact that if you know what you are doing (or are just plain lucky), then there is ALWAYS some way to improve a product from a MASS producer.