Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

4wd off road buggy EXOTIC: PLEASE HELP BJ4 or Predator X10

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

4wd off road buggy EXOTIC: PLEASE HELP BJ4 or Predator X10

Old 10-06-2005, 09:47 AM
scud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd off road buggy EXOTIC: PLEASE HELP BJ4 or Predator X10

I'm having areally hard time deciding on a Predator X10 and a BJ4. First, I understand full well the parts-problem of buying a european buggy. But realize if I buy it, I'll buy a bunch of parts kits to go with it.

Basically, the BJ4 is equally as unavailable- it's like the 4wd class dropped dead and no one wants to get behind it (no major manuf anyway- otherwise associated would just pay those guys and start producing a 4wd kit).

I want a sexy 4wd FAST kit- I hear the predator is lightening fast. I'm not really crazy about the Losi XXX-4 - i far prefer shart drive and I never really dug the losi stuff.

if anyone has OTHER 4wd options to share, by all means do so. But im curious to know what you think
Old 10-06-2005, 11:07 AM
scud

Default RE: 4wd off road buggy EXOTIC: PLEASE HELP BJ4 or Predator X10

see links for pictures:

Predator (WOW): http://www.ttechracing.com/newx10.html

BJ4

http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/index.php/cPath/21
http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/produc...products_id/28
Old 10-06-2005, 01:44 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

I FEEL the bj4 is crappy compared to the predator. the predator will eat the bj4 alive. super low cog, and very light, along with superior technology.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:25 PM
wookie_racer
My Feedback: (8)

^ ditto ^, plus it looks a whole lot better.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:35 PM
scud

yeah, yeah... i hear ya. except every time I hear someone talking about the x10, it's always pertaining to a break down. I just don't want to be creating my own headache here, because getting parts from across the pond takes time - not to mention why hasn't anyone offered US distribution yet?!?!?!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:22 PM
JMan8108

ive never driven the predator and until i do the vote stays with BJ4 for me. If you drive it and its setup rite I dont see how a buggy could run quicker laps. I love that thing
Old 10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

the bj4 is crappy compared to the predator. the predator will eat the bj4 alive. super low cog, and very light, along with superior technology.
Why are you so quick to jump to conclusions about everything? I swear if anybody goes into the mini/micro forums and reads some of your posts they will see what I mean. Every thread about a new car/truck usually leads to something like this from you "wowwwwwwwww i cant wait for it to come out because im surely getting one!!!" or "it looks like a pos" or"wow this looks much better than _____" when in reality you have never driven or seen more than 75% of the cars/trucks you talk about. Be serious for a minute. We all know that you arent buying a new rc for a long time unless you get one for christmas. If you dont get one then, you arent getting a new one anytime soon. How do you know that the predator will turn out to have almost no parts support, impossible to get parts in the us (or wherever the creatror of this thread lives)? Point is, please re-read your posts before you hit the little ok button. No need to say that you are going to get every new truck that comes out because you know that you arent.

Anyway, I always thought about this, but why does nobody talk about the yokomo buggy? It doesnt look THAT bad and it might be able to compete with the buggies mentioned in this thread if set up properly.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Doahh

I don't own either but I have looked at both of their features and the Predator is a much better buggy
Old 10-06-2005, 08:32 PM
lacrosseman7

the bj4 is crappy compared to the predator. the predator will eat the bj4 alive. super low cog, and very light, along with superior technology.
Gimme a break. Exact opposite. The pred looks nice and that is about it. The thing will bottom out on every jump with it being so low. By the time you get a thick enough oil the car will be bouncing on landings. The pred is not a well backed car either, and i dont see it winning any worlds. The BJ4 worlds edition is hands down the best 4wd car now. Parts are from the b4, so i dont see how the parts availability is a problem, and all the other parts are directly available from the manufaturer. Jason Rouna and all the other guys at Jconcepts are great guys and will be a great help. For lots of setup info and other stuff regarding the bj4 go to rc10b4.com and check out the bj4 forums.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Platinum_Racing

The BJ4 was built by Associated drivers who wanted to have a competative stake in the 4WD class. It was rushed into production in 6 or 7 months by recycling B4 and TC3 parts. I would prefer to have a vehicle that was built from the ground up. That way I know what I am getting was designed to handle what I am putting it through, and that it is not some Mikey Moused hodge podge of hybrid parts.

Another option that catches my eye is the Durango. It's got similar features and all the capabilities of both of those cars. It may not be as popular or as well known, but it looks like a well built machine.

For more information on the Durango go to [link]http://www.rc10.de/[/link].

Hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:26 PM
MBX5T Maniac

the only reason the predator hasn't won any races, is because it didn't have any good drivers. the bj4 is seen winning because of the driver. if they suddenly changed to the predator, it would probably start showing up in some major races.

another car to consider is the kyosho lazer 4wd buggy. once it is finished, expect to see it winning a lot of the major races around the country
Old 10-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Racer L

What about the Durango? I know it's not one the you asked about, but it looks like a good car to me! The new Losi looks just like it!
Old 10-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Platinum_Racing

Platinum_Racing: Durango.

[sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 10-06-2005, 10:20 PM
MBX5T Maniac

i only like the look of hara's durango. it looks the best. the body i mean.

but the lazer by kyosho is gonna be sweet!
Old 10-06-2005, 11:22 PM
JMan8108

the only reason the predator hasn't won any races, is because it didn't have any good drivers. the bj4 is seen winning because of the driver. if they suddenly changed to the predator, it would probably start showing up in some major races.

another car to consider is the kyosho lazer 4wd buggy. once it is finished, expect to see it winning a lot of the major races around the country
mayhem have you ever or do u currently race 4wd 10th scale??? u dont know what is involved and needed to win in 4wd, i highly doubt u hav ever driven a 4wd let alone raced one. pleaz dont give ppl advice on subjects you know nuthing about.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:25 PM
MBX5T Maniac

not 1/10, but 1/8, yes
Old 10-06-2005, 11:32 PM
JMan8108

not 1/10, but 1/8, yes
well that does a lot of good on this subject.... and i didnt ask if you drove 8th scale.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:08 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Listen,

If you dont have experience with something, DONT judge it.
Just because you've heard "XXXX is crappy", or because YOU think it "sucks", doesnt mean that it is.
Now I dont want to have to delete posts just because of this.

Kindly refrain for absolute judgements like "This is the best", or "This is the crappiest". That is YOUR opinion and says nothing about what someone else thinks. There is no objectivity here, so obviously there is no clear solution.

-Ram
Car Mod Team.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:43 PM
JMan8108

ORIGINAL: BUGGIES_R_US

Listen,

If you dont have experience with something, DONT judge it.
Just because you've heard "XXXX is crappy", or because YOU think it "sucks", doesnt mean that it is.
Now I dont want to have to delete posts just because of this.

Kindly refrain for absolute judgements like "This is the best", or "This is the crappiest". That is YOUR opinion and says nothing about what someone else thinks. There is no objectivity here, so obviously there is no clear solution.

-Ram
Car Mod Team.
Thank You!!!
Old 10-08-2005, 07:07 AM
scud

I agree with platinum on this one. Lots of guys have posted on this and just said "oh yeah, pedator much better" - if you're aren't going to explain why don't bother posting. Platinum: thanks for some really meaningful feedback. I agree completely with you - the fact that the current BJ4 is built of recycled Tc3 parts (and LOOKS it) is what is preventing me from ordering

not to mention, richard seems alot more like a company than the BJ4 crew- not to say those guys aren't great at R/C: the world already knows that. I just don't think they're much a company - there's no phone number you can call for support- they won't send you one if you ask... the kits are "pre-order" -- I mean it's almost like when you order the kit, the guys go to the hobby shop, pick up a TC3 kit and B4 kit and start reassembling they're own kit out of those parts! It just doesn't seem like a real business yet.. those guys should hire me as a business manager so they can have a real company and start making real production buggies...

I may go for the predator- but I'd prefer to have something more "local" even though having a predator is tempting as hell. sooner or later, someone is going to get wise and start distribution in america on this thing... stupid that someone hasn't already.

what about the Losi? I'm not crazy about belt drive either- but how is the XXX-4? would it inherently be alot more maintainance then a shaft?

ORIGINAL: Platinum_Racing

The BJ4 was built by Associated drivers who wanted to have a competative stake in the 4WD class. It was rushed into production in 6 or 7 months by recycling B4 and TC3 parts. I would prefer to have a vehicle that was built from the ground up. That way I know what I am getting was designed to handle what I am putting it through, and that it is not some Mikey Moused hodge podge of hybrid parts.

Another option that catches my eye is the Durango. It's got similar features and all the capabilities of both of those cars. It may not be as popular or as well known, but it looks like a well built machine.

For more information on the Durango go to [link]http://www.rc10.de/[/link].

Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:08 AM
scud

this is a completely unsupposrted comment - I'd love to know the backup to this, so this otherwise meaningless comment would have some weight... what features? what dont you like? explain yourself- otherwise this comment is bull****.

ORIGINAL: Doahh

I don't own either but I have looked at both of their features and the Predator is a much better buggy
Old 10-08-2005, 07:17 AM
scud

How could the new Losi look anything like the durango? Losi uses BELT drive- the durango is a shaft (uni) driven car!!!

also, the durango, which DOES look hella-cool, has the funkiest battery mounting method I've ever seen - what are you supposed to do, make a 2x3 6 cell battery pack"stick style" - that looks like a major pain in the ass - I have no problem building SADDLE-style 3x2 pack, but building 3 rows of 2 cells, stick style? that is assinine

so what about losi XXX-4? anyone else scared of belt drive?

and yes- I agree completely about the driver thing- I think either the predator or BJ4 can be driven to a win- they've clearly been thought out well (BOTH) and I dont doubt both are highly competetive. I'm thinking of this from a couple of different viewpoints: practicality, parts availability- but most of all "PROVEN-NESS" - none of these buggies are proven - 1 single worlds title and a bunch of good resulsts doesn't mean **** - again, these are all great drivers.

I want to see someone step up to the plate that KNOWS 4WD racing and make a compettiive vehicle. The kyosho (which I hated until now) is starting to sound like an option...

ORIGINAL: Racer L

What about the Durango? I know it's not one the you asked about, but it looks like a good car to me! The new Losi looks just like it!
Old 10-08-2005, 08:11 AM
lacrosseman7

First off, the bj4 has nothing from a tc3 on it now. The worlds edition has a completly new chassis for the bj, and even the old bj chassis was flat carbon fibre, not what the tc3 has on any kit style. The only part that the bj4 is using from the b4 at the moment is the rear arms and shocks because they are the best in the business. New front arms were designed and a lightwieght bulkhead added. I dont see how you say that jconcepts is not a company. Jason Rouna and the other guys are great guys and you can send him an email or fax anytime. B/c he doesnt have his phone number makes it a bad company? obviosly they arent as my track(long island raceway and hobby) are now selling there products and have come out with some very inovative stuff like the front wing. The bodies they make look amazing and were used on 7 out of ten cars in the a main finals at the worlds. The reason you complain about their preorder is because they are a new company(not bad, NEW)and do not have the machines needed to make the parts. The have other companys make the parts for them.

Now for the reason we don see any x10s around. First, predator has no US distribution. Yo0u need to buy directly from them. The car as a kit costs $575. Tack on $25 in shipping and you have a $600 rolling chassis. No add electronics and you way up there. Now for the fact pred has no drivers. Good drivers go with companys that produce cars that can win. Jconcepts is one of them.

I dont see how you can be so stubborn and not see the potential of the bj4 compared to the x10. You are judging the car based on looks and looks alone, no aspect of performance.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:11 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

Does it really matter if the bj4 is built from tc3 and b4 pieces? I mean I think both of these cars are both successful and why not use their parts? Im not saying that they are built by those parts but if they are then its not exactly a bad thing. Replacements will be easy to find and upgrades aplenty, and we all know how good the tc3 and b4 are. Now losi just needs to make another 4wd buggy out of xxx-s parts and bk2 parts.........
Old 10-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Platinum_Racing

I think the BJ4 does a very good job at winning races, it's already proved that time and time again. I just prefer to have a purpose built R/C car that is designed from the ground up for one purpose. In this case, to be a competative 4WD offroader. That way you know that every little insignificant part was specificly designed to perform it's best through the hardest 4WD races anyone can find. There is noothing wrong with the BJ4, I just think that if your going to buy a car it should be designed accordingly. Sure, My Traxxas Bandit wasn't built to race at all, let alone on pavement. However, my modifications have transformed it into one of the most dominant racers in the Pro-Stock class at my track. It still will never outpace the purpose built TC3's or HPI Pro 4's that run in stock and mod touring, but that's why I have a TC3.

The parts taken from the TC3 for use in the BJ4 were designed for on road racing, not off-road 4 wheeling. The suspension parts and offsets on the B4 were built for 2WD off-roading, not 4WD off-roading. Even though much of those designes were tweaked, the part was still designed for a separate purpose. It is for this reason that 4WD Stampede conversions generally suck when compared to a 4WD monster of it's caliber (Is there one other than the HPI MT?)

In the end, the TC3 is a dominant club racer, the B4 can be called a XXX killer, but what would make anyone think that if you quickly combined the two that you could make the most efficient 4WD buggy? If J-Concepts had gone the way of Durango and TTECH they would have a buggy that was probably 10X better than the BJ4, judging by how dominant they have been with a "strategic compilation of spare parts." The only flaw in my little rant is that they proved that the design works, and that much I really can't argue with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.