Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Using Vinyl Electrical Tape to Waterproof?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 06:32 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Vinyl Electrical Tape to Waterproof?

I was at lowes picking up some rakes and a leafblower for my dad for Christmas and so I can start raking leaves to pocket some extra change and so my dad doesnt have to both untangling 100 billion wires just to use his leafblower that just messed up anyway and while checking out, I saw some of this "Commerical Grade Vinyl Electrical Tape" and it says here that its "Flame Retardant" and "Weather Resistant" so Im wondering if weather resistant means waterproof too. I was thinking about trying to wrap my reciever with the stuff and my servo too and if that would keep them waterproof. Im thinking that it isnt going to work because it says weather resistant instead of weatherproof/waterproof but if it can work, thats an easy and super cheap way to run my rusty in the snow. So does anybody know if this would work? I would just try it for myself but Im not sure how to test it and I only got 2 rolls of it and I only have 1 esc besides my novak one and I sure as heck aint gonna try it on the novak. And that other esc (stock traxxas one) I plan on using it as long as I can until I can get a waterproof one but then Im goign to feel really stupid if I go and buy a waterproof esc and then find out all I had to do was just wrap my stock esc with this tape and it would have been waterproof.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Elmo6s

Default RE: Using Vinyl Electrical Tape to Waterproof?

Just use plasti-dip....
Old 12-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Weather resistant does not mean waterproof. The adhesive will come loose once it gets wet and it will leave a mess when you try and take it off. That's not the solution you are looking for. What do plumbers wrap copper pipe and AC lines with to minimize condensate? That is what I would look at.

Home Depot/Lowes probably has something you can use, just not electrical tape.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:52 PM
jkrustchinsky
Banned
My Feedback: (7)

i tell you what works, NOTHING, you cant waterproof an esc and a receiver that are not built water resistant, BALLOON THEM, you can just bag the electronics and go driving, if its not your style then buy waterproof electrics,

mtroniks and lrp have a bunch of water resistant electronics, and a company named carson makes them too but they are based in europe so its difficult getting a hold of them, hobbypeople.net stocks mtroniks and tower has lrp, your motor is already pretty much water resistant, when your done driving after a day in the water just take the motor out of your car and spray it with duratrax power shot and sprinkkle some comm drops in there,

finding a waterproof receiver isnt easy, i used to have one that was made by tamiya a few years ago that i had a guy cover the inside with some film, but pretty much any receiver will be alright with water on it, as long as its not fully submerged you doint have to bag it, josh
Old 12-02-2005, 07:57 PM
capone12

Haha I was about 80% sure this wasnt going to work and it appears I was right. Soon as I posted this I thought to myself like man, isnt that tape going to leave a bunch of crap on it after it gets wet and just peel away? I think I might have to hit up mtroniks or lrp depending on whichever one has a cheaper esc with at least a 15t motor limit or a little bit higher. To waterproof my reciever last time I ran in the wet, I just ballooned it and then put it in a plastic bag and put vaseline all over the parts where any water could reach the balloon and then zipties all around it with more vaseline on it. It was ugly as heck but at least it worked! I would like a cleaner look though but I really cant find a waterproof reciever but I am thinking about buying a OFNA waterproof reciever box and trying to use that to help waterproof my reciever.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:18 AM
schuh007

I found this really nice Xtreme Tape at my lhs, it fits the job perfect. I've also cut a sheet of pvc and used a heat gun to make a "shell" for everything inside. You can use the leftover pvc to make a nice little servo box.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Evader 53

This is how I waterproof my electric rc: Put the body on, get clear packing tape and conect it from the underside of the chassis to the side of the body, I just ran like this today and only a few drops got into the car.

When you need to change/charge the battery, just peel backs some of the tape, switch the battery, and you're ready to go.

--Pede
Old 09-04-2021, 09:54 PM
jellybenson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I use it. That's what i use for most of my electrical wiring
Old 03-22-2022, 01:48 PM
beliko

While the tape gives a level of protection from mugginess, it isn't waterproof. This applies to most electrical tape.

Assuming you take a gander at the bundling, producers generally use terms like 'Water-Resistant' to portray the tape's properties. Try not to accept that electrical tape is waterproof except if the name unequivocally says as much.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:40 AM
mzanzirc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Nanoworks to further waterproof my electronics.

I used the stuff on a small ethernet destop switch. Sprayed it with the Nanoworks, and dunked it into water, connected to power. Still working today.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:05 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Holy necropost. Some new members have been digging up lots of old threads this morning.

Just about the one and only thing electrical tape is good for is.....masking tape. It can do a wonderful job at that purpose, but I don't like using it for its intended purpose. If I can get a piece of heat-shrink over the wire(s), then I always do that instead. And if I really need to make something waterproof, then I put E600 glue over the joint and under the heat-shrink, then put heat to the heat-shrink while the glue is still wet. It is pretty rare that I ever wrap wire with electrical tape - like only if I have no other choice. And do not ever make the mistake of thinking that electrical tape will keep water out. It may tend to keep rain out, but it is worthless when it is submerged. A product called Liquid Electrical Tape does a fairly good job of that, and I use it fairly frequently for the intended purpose, as well as sealing the ends of cut rope.

You can make gentle curves with electrical tape when used as masking tape, and paint generally does not bleed under it, even if the paint is thin. If you peel off the tape while the paint is still tacky, then you generally get a very sharp and crisp paint line. But only use it for the first line, then mask the rest with regular masking tape (and paper or plastic sheet if the area is large).