Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Evader RTR - How best to slow it down?

Old 12-09-2005, 05:01 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evader RTR - How best to slow it down?

This may sound silly. I need to replace my wife's old old old nikko buggy. I think top speed on this thing was maybe 5 mph, but it was pretty reliable and very difficult to break at that speed. I'm eyeing the Evader RTR, but that's wayyy too fast. I would like to gear it down and install a slower 27 turn motor, but I can't find any info on which spur/pinion gear combos will fit or what RPM the motors will run. Any hints out there?

PS: I need to get all this for Christmas.

thanks much.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:12 PM
SkrapIron

Default RE: Evader RTR - How best to slow it down?

Ok, A 27t stock motor is going to be FASTER than the photon speed motor. Yes, the Photon technically has fewer windings, but the gauge and quality of the wire is what makes the most difference. My kids both have Evader Pro's, with Reedy MVP stock motors ( 27t), and both clock in at about 24mph. ( the Photon tops out at 20! )

Slowing down the truck is not as easy as putting in a smaller gear. I understand your concern, but that's the wrong approach. By undergearing a motor ( specifically to slow it down ), you will in turn damage the motor by overheating it. It does so, because the motor is ofrced to operate at it's maximum RPM , all the time. Not good for the motor.

If I can interject, the stock Evader ST ( Plastic ) is brittle. I bought the stock EP St for my son last June. For the 7 weeks we owned it, it was waiting for parts 5 out of the 7 weeks.

If speed is a concern, Please consider one of the Tamyia RTR models. They are a step up from the Nikko's that you are used to, but very durable. If you truly want the Evader, I would recommend the 'Pro' version, over the plastic version. The Graphite is actually stronger than the plastic used on the stock truck.

My kids are 5 and 7 respectively. They both have Evader Pro's, and have learned to drive them very well. Don't worry about the top speed being too fast. My son got the hang of it at age 4. Just go to an empty parkinglot to practice. That way, they can go fast, and learn how to judge the truck, without hitting anything.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:30 PM
bgi

I read your gearing article, so I got the overheating issue down pat. I'm not stuck on the Evader. I missed the difference that the Pro has stronger graphite parts, but I do like the improved ESC features that protect the drive train. I liked the idea of "free parts" but concerned about waiting on them. I'll check out the Tamyia. Thanks!

The solution might be to glue some stiff foam under the transmitter trigger to reduce it's throw.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:44 PM
SkrapIron

With the 2pl radio, that comes with the Pro RTR, you can dial out that throw electronically. By retadring the End Point Adjustment, you essentially limit the trigger travel, and acheive what you're looking for.

If you don't mind me asking, why the concern over the truck being too fast? I really don't hear that one very often...[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I LOVE my re-release Tamyia Hornet. The RTR version comes with a 23 turn motor, so it is slower (around 15mph). The Gravel Hound, Rising Star, etc are all excellent entry level 4wd buggies. Each is sub 20mph in top speed, and made from ABS plastic, so they're plenty durable.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:59 PM
jkrustchinsky
Banned

shame on you, you let your poor wife drive a nikko, trust me the evader aint fast!!
Old 12-09-2005, 06:13 PM
bgi

Hahaha... We got these Nikkos at sears clearance at least 15 years ago. They were pretty slow. She just likes to putt around with them. The E-Maxx we had was way too fast for her. She kept crashing it into trees, so it made her nervous. Plus, she's afraid she will run over her Shih-Tzu if she looses it. She LIKES the slow ones! GIMME A BREAK! LOL!!! (Just messing with you guys.) I orderd a QD buggy an an extra battery. The seem pretty tame. They're cheap enough, if she wants an upgrade (better car), we can work on that.

thanks for the help, guys.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:49 PM
cavfighter

at least your wife is interested lol. mine wouldnt mind my truck getting splatted on the road. Then of course I would just get another one. SHE WILL NOT WIN! LOL! crap she already made me sell my dirtbike because of the kids so now I will have to bring the kids to this hobby as Skrappy said. Take care man.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:41 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

lol cav that is hilarious...

Anyway I have never heard of wanting a slower car.... I would look at a traxxas stinger motor it is really really slow but lasts a long time. Depending on what you put it in, you should get around 20-18 mph.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Speedmunkey
Banned

An old Lemans 05 would effectively cut the top speed in half and last till hell thaws out after the big freeze... However, the best apporach is with a radio capable of limiting the end point throw of the trigger, as Skrappy suggested.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:14 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Here's an idea bgi, if you are into batteries then use an old stick pack with 1 cell removed for 5 cells. It will slow the top speed and also will make the truck a bit more lazy and easier to control. It will not have the neck-snappy resonse of a geared down vehicle.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:42 PM
bgi

Hey, u-dud, that's a good idea. Too bad I gave away most of my crap-o-la Shark packs. I'll remember that if I get a 6-cell buggy. The Tamyia uses the silly 8-cell AA packs.

I miss my E-Maxx. It was good fun. I may pick one up off a friend that's out of the hobby.

She has a toy to play with when I'm flying my planes...
Old 12-10-2005, 07:59 PM
white_mexican5
Banned

what happened 2 ur E-Max?
Old 12-10-2005, 08:18 PM
white_mexican5
Banned

[&o] i cant find out. how do u get a photo under the thing that says basic member when u post a message
Old 12-10-2005, 08:30 PM
bgi

ORIGINAL: white_mexican5

what happened 2 ur E-Max?
gave it to my nephew
Old 12-10-2005, 08:33 PM
bgi

ORIGINAL: white_mexican5

[&o] i cant find out. how do u get a photo under the thing that says basic member when u post a message
I was going to say: those images are "avitars" go to the user control panel & upload yours!

Then I checked. I have no idea... They changed it.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Speedmunkey
Banned

Had a thought on your motor needs.. Why not got a 55 turn lathe motor? Monster torque but slow as Christmas compared to a 27t...

[link=http://integy.automated-shops.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=561&p_catid=26&sid=4wSJJh1G12nI23a-08105487706.20]Integy makes one..[/link]
Old 12-11-2005, 10:35 AM
cjg

I agree with the earlier comment that a 5 cell pack is the best way to acheive your ends. Gearing will only slow it so much, even a 55t motor will have loads of torque and make it really snapping in handling.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:47 AM
happywing

Get a Rustler. They're slow out of the box.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:52 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

slow, like 20 mph, and tough as hell!!

Here, read my review on it:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35...tm.htm#3556655
Old 12-11-2005, 02:48 PM
jkrustchinsky
Banned

i let my girlfriend drive my hummer a crapload of times, it had a mvp 27t stocker freshly cut so it probly did around 25mph, for a tramiya hummer it was flying and hard to control, she tore off a suspension arm twice and broke the grill piece out of the hard body, she also stripped one of my tie rods,

it sorta made me sick to watch her do this but whatever, its a toy
Old 12-13-2005, 12:50 AM
happywing

My son (6) has had a Stampede for a couple of years. He runs a 27T Monster Pro now, but we started out with the stock motor and a zip tie. Yes, a zip tie. I put it around the transmitter grip. It stopped the trigger from going all the way to full. No worries about gearing or anything special. When he was ready to go faster, I cut the zip. Easy.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:19 AM
bgi

I was thinking of something simple like this to limit the trigger. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:21 PM
SkrapIron

A zip-tie on the transmitter to limit the throttle travel?? The 5 cent solution, for the 50 dollar problem!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:10 PM
bgi

More like 0.1 cent. ;-) Much simpler than re-programming the ESC when I want to drive it!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:42 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

That is a really smart idea! I spent hours trying to figure out how to limit the throttle for other ppl and that is all it would have taken....................................... IT KILLS ME!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.