Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C.

My 'vader is a heavily modified EXT. Too much history to go into . . . . .but I got tired of the stock wheels. (The old style) So Igot some EXT2 wheels (The new kind). I found that they just did not cut it withmy brushless system (Hobbywing 60a / TACON 32KV motor) andthe way Idrive it. (They broke)

Ive got Proline Caliber tires and RPM wheels now. The HobbyTown guy set me up with these. The setup isnot high profile, but they have managed to leave barespots in my yard, so I think they hook up pretty good. I'd get another pair. The wheels are black. I knid of wanted mine to be a sleeper.

My son has larger wheels with Proline Gladiators on his, and Ihad to gear his down. Motor and ESC just got too hot. But it's not brushless . . . .

Oh yeah,in one of your prior posts, you were asking about the spring pins in the dogbones.They are not a problem, but make sure you keep your wheels tight (but not too tight), bc I have broken the spring pins on my axles (wheel side). In fact, keep extra spring pins on hand.

Also the ball studs on the rear hub carriers can pull out. Duratrax makes a longer stud that fits. Then you can put a nut on it. See TowerHobbies for details on that.

Keep lots of spare partsas they are cheap. I've got several sets of front swing arms.

I hate breaking something after I've gotten some place fun and ending the day.

Good luck with yours.

NTR

Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: NoTraxxisRustler

My 'vader is a heavily modified EXT. Too much history to go into . . . . .but I got tired of the stock wheels. (The old style) So I got some EXT2 wheels (The new kind). I found that they just did not cut it with my brushless system (Hobbywing 60a / TACON 32KV motor) and the way I drive it. (They broke)

Ive got Proline Caliber tires and RPM wheels now. The HobbyTown guy set me up with these. The setup is not high profile, but they have managed to leave barespots in my yard, so I think they hook up pretty good. I'd get another pair. The wheels are black. I knid of wanted mine to be a sleeper.

My son has larger wheels with Proline Gladiators on his, and I had to gear his down. Motor and ESC just got too hot. But it's not brushless . . . .

Oh yeah, in one of your prior posts, you were asking about the spring pins in the dogbones. They are not a problem, but make sure you keep your wheels tight (but not too tight), bc I have broken the spring pins on my axles (wheel side). In fact, keep extra spring pins on hand.

Also the ball studs on the rear hub carriers can pull out. Duratrax makes a longer stud that fits. Then you can put a nut on it. See Tower Hobbies for details on that.

Keep lots of spare parts as they are cheap. I've got several sets of front swing arms.

Good luck with yours.

NTR

Thanks a lot for the information, it is much appreciated. It has been raining about the whole time i have had this truck so far, but its stopped today so i may run it some this afternoon. Wont be able to have any real fun till i get the brushless in it though

Thanks for the info on the spring pins. As for the spring pins in the axle itself that the wheel keys on to... Could you replace that with say a losi or associated pin and possibly have a stronger setup? I know the losi pins are a little long, but you could grind them down slightly and they look to be the same size i believe. I have noticed that if i tighten the rear wheel nuts too tight that it starts to bind slightly, but i dont want to leave them too loose either because i dont want to strip the wheel. I think i have found a happy medium, i was just afraid if i tightened them too much, that it would possibly break the spring pin on the axle. Also, I assume if a spring pin in the dogbone did happen to break, you could press a new spring pin in and be good to go?

Also, how are you guys with brushless setting the slipper? I normally lock my slippers, but maybe i need to be a little more careful with this one? I havent changed mine from factory, but its tight enough to pull a wheelie on carpet with the stock motor. I havent heard it slip any that i can think of.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:35 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi never lock your slipper that will force all pressure from the wheels into the gearbox and will cause damage or premature wear.
always adjust it so it slips a little for the first foot or two from flooring it on start up from a stand still.
this will protect your drive train.

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

My 'vader is a heavily modified EXT. Too much history to go into . . . . .but I got tired of the stock wheels. (The old style) So I got some EXT2 wheels (The new kind). I found that they just did not cut it with my brushless system (Hobbywing 60a / TACON 32KV motor) and the way I drive it. (They broke)

Ive got Proline Caliber tires and RPM wheels now. The HobbyTown guy set me up with these. The setup is not high profile, but they have managed to leave barespots in my yard, so I think they hook up pretty good. I'd get another pair. The wheels are black. I knid of wanted mine to be a sleeper.

My son has larger wheels with Proline Gladiators on his, and I had to gear his down. Motor and ESC just got too hot. But it's not brushless . . . .

Oh yeah, in one of your prior posts, you were asking about the spring pins in the dogbones. They are not a problem, but make sure you keep your wheels tight (but not too tight), bc I have broken the spring pins on my axles (wheel side). In fact, keep extra spring pins on hand.

Also the ball studs on the rear hub carriers can pull out. Duratrax makes a longer stud that fits. Then you can put a nut on it. See Tower Hobbies for details on that.

Keep lots of spare parts as they are cheap. I've got several sets of front swing arms.

Good luck with yours.

NTR

Thanks a lot for the information, it is much appreciated. It has been raining about the whole time i have had this truck so far, but its stopped today so i may run it some this afternoon. Wont be able to have any real fun till i get the brushless in it though

Thanks for the info on the spring pins. As for the spring pins in the axle itself that the wheel keys on to... Could you replace that with say a losi or associated pin and possibly have a stronger setup? I know the losi pins are a little long, but you could grind them down slightly and they look to be the same size i believe. I have noticed that if i tighten the rear wheel nuts too tight that it starts to bind slightly, but i dont want to leave them too loose either because i dont want to strip the wheel. I think i have found a happy medium, i was just afraid if i tightened them too much, that it would possibly break the spring pin on the axle. Also, I assume if a spring pin in the dogbone did happen to break, you could press a new spring pin in and be good to go?

Also, how are you guys with brushless setting the slipper? I normally lock my slippers, but maybe i need to be a little more careful with this one? I havent changed mine from factory, but its tight enough to pull a wheelie on carpet with the stock motor. I havent heard it slip any that i can think of.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 AM
cummins driver

I know, I just hate slippage Once i get the brushless in it ill play with the slipper and see if i can find a spot where it works good for me.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Isn't that the way it goes . . . .I'll never forgetthe year Ibought a new motocross bike and it seemed like it snowed until June . .

I have not looked too much into the Losi pins. A knowledgeable person at your LHS could help. Also, if Losi has downloadable PDF's you could probably reasearch a bit. The biggest thing is to keep fresh pins in them. There is definitely asweet spot on tightening the wheels too.You should buy a few axles and have them in your tool box.I have broken a few.

The pins in the dogbones won't be a problem. But may I recommend that you get some o-rings and use them instead of the springs? (one on the trans side and one on the axle side)The springs will fall out if you breaks something on the rear. Associated sells O-rings for this purpose.

Finally, Irun my slipper pretty tight, and have not had problems. But Ihave an RC10T4 tranny in my vader. I also tend to be a judicious with the throttle.Imay have trouble if Itotally abused it.

My 'vader is a heavily modified EXT. Too much history to go into . . . . .but I got tired of the stock wheels. (The old style) So Igot some EXT2 wheels (The new kind). I found that they just did not cut it withmy brushless system (Hobbywing 60a / TACON 32KV motor) andthe way Idrive it. (They broke)

Ive got Proline Caliber tires and RPM wheels now. The HobbyTown guy set me up with these. The setup isnot high profile, but they have managed to leave barespots in my yard, so I think they hook up pretty good. I'd get another pair. The wheels are black. I knid of wanted mine to be a sleeper.

My son has larger wheels with Proline Gladiators on his, and Ihad to gear his down. Motor and ESC just got too hot. But it's not brushless . . . .

Oh yeah,in one of your prior posts, you were asking about the spring pins in the dogbones.They are not a problem, but make sure you keep your wheels tight (but not too tight), bc I have broken the spring pins on my axles (wheel side). In fact, keep extra spring pins on hand.

Also the ball studs on the rear hub carriers can pull out. Duratrax makes a longer stud that fits. Then you can put a nut on it. See TowerHobbies for details on that.

Keep lots of spare partsas they are cheap. I've got several sets of front swing arms.

Good luck with yours.

NTR

Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 PM
cummins driver

Yeah, i was thinking the springs will probably get lost They are somewhat noisy as well If you spin the wheels.

What are some good black (or maybe chrome) spoked/hole type 2.2 wheels for the evader? I really really like the stock rims, but i have heard they arent that strong. Is this the general concensus? Might put some wheels/tires on my christmas list for this thing and im looking at options.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 PM
cummins driver

Will these wheels work:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXLF5&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXLF6&P=M

If so, those are probably the ones i will get since i really like that style wheel. Unless you guys think the stockers hold up ok?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

hpi's should fit with some traxxas hubs out back, up front options are a little limited tho... rpm makes some chrome's..

the lug
Old 10-28-2011, 09:05 PM
rclugnut10

yeah those are the RPM's i was talking about, they should also have some chrome ones...

the lug
Old 10-29-2011, 08:32 PM
cummins driver

Well i ended up with my brushless system in the truck tonight Hobbywing/EZrun 35a ESC and Tacon 3930kv 3650 size motor.

Sucker is a little more fun to drive now The slipper is still at stock settings and seems to be working well. Hopefully i can resist the urge to tighten it down more. lol The tires seem to hook up decent on the road. It will spin pretty hard taking off, but then hooks up and you can somewhat drift it around as long as you dont lock up the brakes, because then it just spins out. I can nail it from a stop and pull a wheelie most of the time. I know with a tighter slipper and meatier tires, it would probably wheelie a lot more. Im very impressed with how controllable this thing is to drive with brushless though. It handles the power so much more better than my stampede did just because it doesent wheelie constantly, and it handles much better. Very impressed with how this thing jumps too, and its weird, but this evader seems to track straighter than any R/C I have owned. Im on stock gearing, and it could very easily handle at least 2 more teeth on the pinion i believe. I kind of thought maybe i should have got the 3500kv setup, but im glad i went for the 3930kv. I may jump up to a 22-23t pinion until i get some better tires on it. Id say top speed right now is about 35mph and after a solid 25 minutes or so of running, the motor was only ever so slightly warm, and the ESC was cold to the touch (it was 38* out). Just driving the truck, at least with the stock tires, i really couldnt see having many driveline issues. It seems to handle it in stride. It may not hold up as well with larger, meatier tires, but i cant see having much problem with the little stockers. Im very happy with the truck now though. The only thing i feel its lacking now is probably a set of better tires, then i think it will be a great all around truck[8D]
Old 10-29-2011, 09:50 PM
cummins driver

Pictures Also mounted up my 2.4 system in the truck as well. All thats left to do with the electronics is put my tower pro 996mg in it.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10378.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1680339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83501.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1680340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70527.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1680341  
Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Sweet ! when we bashing ?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi the highest pinion you should use is a 24 tooth with that KV motor but what you have probably is good for all around use i would stick with a 22 tooth pinion.
I just put a 3900kv motor in mine the other day i have the 88 spur gear and only a 20 tooth pinion.
I just ordered a 21 tooth pinion and 78 and 81 tooth associated spur gears anyone ever use these gears?

I like under gearing a little bit this way you never have to worry about tems because the way do gearing for the rc's i think is mosttly on a track and that's much less strain than if when you go to a park or somthing and go through dirt and some short grass and stuff.

O and watch your gear box that top shaft won't last to long you will start hearing a funky sound when it goes.
I tried hardining my top gear and used it like 3 times or so and so far so good.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Link119

Nice to revisit the thread and see it going strong. I just couldnt enjoy my evader on the street, but its nice to talk about it. I still would like to repair it (I like building things). I noticed that dtx didnt mention anything about the shocks on the brushless ext. I would think its the same as the ext2 ones (Metal caps) but its disappointing that there are plastic bodies. I would have liked to see metal shocks (But i hate the st shock design because its harder to change the shock oil.) If they made metal top loaded shocks they would significantly improve the evader.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:44 PM
cummins driver

Well my wife took some video of the brushless for me today Thing is running great so far, and smooth as can be. Driveline is nice and smooth on this truck. I still really like the stock tires for street bashing. They arent so good off road though. lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60UvcByOmnw[/youtube]
Old 10-30-2011, 03:46 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: mc4798

Sweet ! when we bashing ?
IDK, we need to soon. I really want to take this thing out to the track at Richmond and run it some. Might need some better tires first though. lol Think a person could just go over there are run without getting into trouble? lol
Old 10-30-2011, 04:44 PM
thehuntingterminator

subscribed

Well my wife took some video of the brushless for me today Thing is running great so far, and smooth as can be. Driveline is nice and smooth on this truck. I still really like the stock tires for street bashing. They arent so good off road though. lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60UvcByOmnw[/youtube]
Old 11-01-2011, 03:21 PM
wozthefitter

[quote]ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Yeah, i was thinking the springs will probably get lost They are somewhat noisy as well If you spin the wheels.

Save some coin and just cut some nitro fuel line to replace springs you get a heap out of 1" and it fits snug and will usually stayin place when you pop a ball stud, it is also softer than normal orings so compressesmore like springs.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 PM
cummins driver

Yeah I was thinking about the fuel line. I have plenty of that stuff laying around anyways.

My father in law bought a new EXT2 2 days after mine. He ran it in the house about 3 minutes on a stock 7 cell battery and thats it until tonight. I swapped his brushless in for him(same as mine, but 3500kv) and put the tires that were on his speed t on the truck (the big tires on mine in the picture), and we went out to run. We were out about 10 minutes. It was running great, smooth, and had good power on a 7 cell. He was going through the grass with some throttle and then it started making a loud ticking noise. I thought it was a stick in the wheel, but after a little more digging, i found out it was the main gear in the transmission missing some teeth[&:] That didnt make me (or him) too happy. I was hoping id be fine running some bigger tires on my evader, but now im pretty confident that i better not try that until they at least get the metal main gear on the shelves for a good replacement.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:10 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Ya'll should try the new tranny parts that the Brushless Evader comes with.I've got an EXT thatI wanted brushless in, but everything I read said their trannys were puny. Then they came out with theEXT2. But it sounds likethey have some QC issues with things like gears and axles. My solution was to put an Associated RC10 tranny in.

But if they have the tranny issues worked out with the new Evader BL, swapping your internals would be worth a shot for you.

I've got the HobbyWIng 60a escs with a 32KV motor. I'm using LIPO and knock on wood, it's all good. Been runningtwo or three times a week all summer, so if it craps tomorrow, Iwould still say it was a positive move.

So that 35a HobbyWIng ESC is good? I went conservative with my selection, the 60a pushes a continuous 60 and bursts 380a. I figured that a motor that pulls 60a should be about right.My ESC never gets hot.

NTR

Yeah I was thinking about the fuel line. I have plenty of that stuff laying around anyways.

My father in law bought a new EXT2 2 days after mine. He ran it in the house about 3 minutes on a stock 7 cell battery and thats it until tonight. I swapped his brushless in for him(same as mine, but 3500kv) and put the tires that were on his speed t on the truck (the big tires on mine in the picture), and we went out to run. We were out about 10 minutes. It was running great, smooth, and had good power on a 7 cell. He was going through the grass with some throttle and then it started making a loud ticking noise. I thought it was a stick in the wheel, but after a little more digging, i found out it was the main gear in the transmission missing some teeth[&:] That didnt make me (or him) too happy. I was hoping id be fine running some bigger tires on my evader, but now im pretty confident that i better not try that until they at least get the metal main gear on the shelves for a good replacement.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
cummins driver

Ya'll should try the new tranny parts that the Brushless Evader comes with. I've got an EXT that I wanted brushless in, but everything I read said their trannys were puny. Then they came out with the EXT2. But it sounds like they have some QC issues with things like gears and axles. My solution was to put an Associated RC10 tranny in.

But if they have the tranny issues worked out with the new Evader BL, swapping your internals would be worth a shot for you.

I've got the HobbyWIng 60a escs with a 32KV motor. I'm using LIPO and knock on wood, it's all good. Been running two or three times a week all summer, so if it craps tomorrow, I would still say it was a positive move.

So that 35a HobbyWIng ESC is good? I went conservative with my selection, the 60a pushes a continuous 60 and bursts 380a. I figured that a motor that pulls 60a should be about right. My ESC never gets hot.

NTR

As soon as the upgraded gears are available, i will have them in mine I dont know if im in love with this truck enough to swap the whole transmission, but im thinking once they get the brushless parts out (tower says late november?) it should be fine. I hope to have some bigger wheels and tires on my evader around christmas, so ill need the upgraded diff gear by then for sure. I believe the tires were 100% to blame for my father in law's failure. However, the truck really should be able to handle that, and im thinking with the upgraded brushless diff gear, it will. I have been running mine much more often and driving harder than he has his and have yet to have any problems, however, I believe the small, light stock wheels and tires on mine are the main things keeping the transmission alive. They weigh so little and spin enough that it cant stress the driveline nearly like some big, heavy tires that have a lot of traction can. My slipper is at factory settings, however, his almost seemed looser than mine from the factory, and i had to tighten his slipper quite a bit to get it to not slip all the time with the large tires on it. I will definately upgrade my diff (im sure he will too) when the parts come out and i will keep everyone here posted[8D]

As for the 35a. I had one in a stampede with some 5" tall tires before this truck. It never once got more than slightly warm (even at the beach running in the sand), and it never gave me any problem. I believe it is easily up to the task of a 1/10 2wd off road after my experiences with them. Hard to beat for the money [8D]
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 PM
rclugnut10

that 35a ez run is a good esc for sure it's surprised me how well it can handle what i've thrown at it... not that i've pushed it but on a 3950kv tacon in a fire storm with moabs no complaints at all...

the lug
Old 11-03-2011, 08:36 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

that 35a ez run is a good esc for sure it's surprised me how well it can handle what i've thrown at it... not that i've pushed it but on a 3950kv tacon in a fire storm with moabs no complaints at all...

the lug
Thats been my experience as well. [8D] They will handle a lot. I dont ever have to worry about going easy on the throttle, or watching temps because it pretty well takes care of itself. Definately cant beat it for the money, and i love how easy it is to set up with the programming card. Im not sure how it would do on 3s? I dont have any 3s batteries, and dont plan to buy any, but i know it could care less what you do to it on 2s in a 1/10 2wd.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 PM
coolguy1975

hey guys.got a ? or 2.im confused...yall opion..do u think it would be worth the money to buy the ext brushless truck..or just upgrade my tranny on my ext2 with the gears when they come out?im not worried bout the 2.4 radio cause im gonna just use my tactic 2.4..and i also plan on just buying a ez run system for it...just dont know which is more cost effective to do??
Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 AM
cumquat

get the bl version. the ez run stuff has spiked in price and the radio is better than the tactic 2.4gig to an extent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.