Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

BUILDING YOUR OWN BATTERY DISCHARGER!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Evader_Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUILDING YOUR OWN BATTERY DISCHARGER!!

i was just wondering if any of you guys know how to build a battery dischrger that uses a bulb. I kinda got an idea of how it will look like, but i dont fully know how to build it. any help would b appreciated. (also, just a question on the side, can a novak ss5800 system pull wheelies in an evader st?)
Old 03-13-2006, 12:20 AM
IB3800

Default RE: BUILDING YOUR OWN BATTERY DISCHARGER!!

Search.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Evader_Newbie

stupid me[:-]
Old 03-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Evader_Newbie

can anyone answer my other question then....can a novak ss5800 system pull wheelies in an evader st??? how much speed can the motor pump into the vader???
Old 03-13-2006, 12:50 AM
raz54

ORIGINAL: Evader_Newbie

can anyone answer my other question then....can a novak ss5800 system pull wheelies in an evader st??? how much speed can the motor pump into the vader???

Yes it sure can. Mine pulls wheelies in the sand now and it has the SS4300. Before it would wheelie over the top of a dune now it flies over it and lands about 10 feet away. It wheelied even with the 21 X 2 motor on pavement but not sand. As for discharging with bulbs it's real easy. get about 4-5 auto tail light bulbs (#1157) and solder them together in series and put on a connector tha will connect to your battery. I connected to the brake light (not the tail light) terminal of the bulb for a faster discharge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80721.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	425201  
Old 03-13-2006, 02:08 AM
Evader_Newbie

thanks for the reply
Old 03-13-2006, 02:11 AM
IB3800

Thats will kill a pack in no-time.Unless it has some kind of cutoff its very dangerours.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:14 AM
Evader_Newbie

what do you mean by that??
Old 03-13-2006, 09:49 AM
raz54

That's odd because you can buy these already made up. I have used these all the time on my nicads and never hurt one yet. I don't need it on my NiMh packs though cause my charger will cycle them when needed.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:29 PM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

The "bulb" style discharger works awesome....but, for those that want something mechanical and knarly....here's what I did. I had an extra stock tamiya 540 motor laying around....And I had crashed my PT-Electric airplane so I had the prop hub...and a couple extra props laying around. I had the aluminum gear box/motor mount from one of my many Blackfoots. I screwed the motor mount to my wood work bench, the motor to the mount, the hub and prop to the motor. Then solder my batt connector to the motor. Now....I admit, this is NOT for kids or with little kids in the room(I keep my kids out of the "Hobby Shop" when I run this). However, the fan cools the batt as it discharges....and because it's somewhat noisy.....I can be doing something else and will know EXACTLY when the batt is discharged well enough. The "bulb" method, obviously, gets dimmer....but who knows how dim....is TOO dim?!???!???! Unless you have a volt meter attached. When the batt pack reaches discharge....you can clearly hear when it's exhuasted. It will begin to "step" down towards the very end. If you run the pack until it's not making any "fan" noise....you've gone too far. Again...the bulb method is nice for travelling or track. But, at home.....in a safe place.....nothing, IMO, beats the fan method. It discharges AND cools the pack.....and you can clearly tell when it's done. Thought you might be interested....Laters
Old 03-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duplicate thread locked.

Continue discussion on the "other" thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4027075/tm.htm