Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Dark Impact Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:52 AM
BitHed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Dark Impact Thread

Click image for larger version

Name:	DARKIMPACT1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	2239828
*Photo courtesy of TAMIYA...

...Well I may as well get this ball rolling...Released April 1 here in Japan...I picked one up on the 2nd and I am still in the build...This is one decent buggy...Its my first TAMIYA because there was never really anything that tickled my interest and they always looked too cheesy for my liking but the Impact is a seriously nice machine...A few niggles with the build but the usual TAMIYA quality and idiot-proof instructions...

...I am skipping the usual route and going straight into a brushless ride...An AON 5800L (the 'L' is for LITE...It comes sans the built-in heatsink) but i have to put in a TAMIYA brushed motor to participate in the TAMIYA point series (Beginners League ) which is really what I got it for...

...It is still very new and there is only ONE on E-Bay (shows you how popular it is LOL) but someone somewhere must have one Hope we can share...Peace...
Old 04-03-2006, 02:57 AM
RC_Diablo

Default RE: Official Dark Impact Thread

Lol most Tamiya buggys do look cheesey dont they this buggy looks nice though you said it was just released in japan I wonder when it will be released here or is it already?????????????
Old 04-03-2006, 03:04 AM
BitHed

...Diablo I havent checked TAMIYA USA so Im not sure...Probably NOT as no-one seems to be talking about it...Check it out and let us know :d

EDIT: TAMIYA USA has it up as 'Coming Soon'...Whatever that might mean...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58370

...Here is TAMIYA's Promo Blurb...

QUOTE..."This 1/10 scale 4WD buggy is specially designed to excel in off-road buggy racing. It features a mid-rear mounted motor and longitundinally mounted battery for optimum balance for jumping. Battery is inserted through the bottom of the chassis, eliminating need to remove body, which makes routine maintenance easy and quick. High performance shaft drive 4WD combines with suspension system featuring extra long suspension arms for improved stability and off-road handling.

High performance 1/10 4WD buggy chassis designed for off-road racing

4-wheel independent double wishbone suspension features CVA oil dampers and extra long suspension arms for improved stability and handling

Includes sealed diff gearbox indispensable for off-road running

Features full ball bearings

Includes 540 type motor

Newly designed off-road tires and wheels featured larger diameter and width, and new tread pattern designed for excellent running and control on hard dirt tracks

Tires: High Density Spike Tires K (4WD/Front, 62/25), High Density Spike Tires K (Rear, 62/35)

Wheels: Large Dish Wheels (4WD/Front, 62/25), Large Dish Wheels (Rear 62/35)
Old 04-03-2006, 09:17 AM
snorfargle

It is listed on tower...[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMFW1&P=7]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMFW1&P=7[/link]

I like this buggy and I was considering one as a basher, but I heard it has no slipper clutch, so I dunno if it would be good for bashing in my yard (lots of loose dirt). What do you think about the bashing factor?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:28 AM
tinky-winky

Looks as if it has much more ground clearance than the gravel hound etc.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:48 AM
fugaziiv

i'm very interested in this bad boy, lets keep the info coming!
Old 04-03-2006, 11:25 AM
BitHed

...I will maybe race with it but i bash ALOT...I have an E-ZILLA and a MinFerno ST and wanted something in between...I wouldnt have gotten it I didnt believe it would bash with the best of them

...Ground clearence will be between about 2.5-3cm...Sorry im metric

...The 'pinned' tires are super grippy and strong...Sidewalls are stiff and the inner foams are the 'compressed' foam as opposed to the typical 'fluffy' foam....You know what I mean...These tires were a major factor in my getting this kit...They are just too goo to pass up...

...Bearings arent gluggy at all and roll nicely...I added a shot of my favourite lightweight bearing oil just to free them up a little more...

...IMPORTANT!! If you can, when you get this kit go ahead and et a pack of TAMIYA Flourine pivot balls...Slightly lighter than stock and the flourine gives you a MUCH better ride...Maybe 6-10 USD a pack depending on your seller...The stock balls work but why bother? Upgrade right from the start [8D]

...Shocks are the usual TAMIYA fare...3 pistons provided...1 hole, 2 hole, 3 hole...STOCK OIL IS 900 WEIGHT...TAMIYA lists that in the MIDDLE of their HARD series...800 (pink), 900 (clear) and 1000 (light blue)...I went with a much lighter 300 (orange) and the 2 hole pistons that i will use with stock springs until harder springs come out...I prefer a lighter oil with a harder spring to let the car 'float'...Stock springs are typical TAMIYA...

...You would also do well with a pack of 8-10 SOFT WEIGHT O-rings for the shox...TAMIYA stock are cheap and nasty and hard so get some 30 or 40 weight softer ones, smear with AE Green Slime and insert [8D] A MUCH better ride...

WEIRD!! The REAR lower hinge pins have 2.5mm worth of forward / back play in them...I added 2.5mm worth of shim to the rear of each pin...The rear bumper fits between the pins so no problems with anything hitting...I have no idea why there is THAT much left-over pin...

...INTERESTING!! There is NO way to get a regular heat sink on the motor...It slides into a gap just in front of the rear gear box / diff and is covered by a weird plastic 'lid' with elongated holes in it...Heat build up could become a problem...

...COMPLAINT!! As sexy as this buggy is and even though it comes with all these 'trickle-down' improvements TAMIYA is STILL too cheap to provide us with adjustable turnbuckles right from the start [>:] The threaded shafts are right hand threads on BOTH ends, making them essentially non-adjustable while attached to the car...No doubt the adjustables will be out soon but come on TAMIYA...Raise the bar a little why doncha...

...The linkage from the steering servo mounted rear right to the steering rack is RIDICULOUSLY long...14.3 cm from balcup to ballcup!! lol...Oh well...Servo saver is regular TAMIYA but you could probably go well upgrading to a KIMSBROUGH...

...Body is very low-profile, very unlike the Rising Storm and recent other TAMIYA buggies...The REAR shock tower is actually quite in the way of the rear spoiler...Another unusual design aspect...

...There are 4 metal bushings in the steering raack whch i havent assembled yet...I will try to replace them with bearings...Unfortunately TAMIYA GP rules require me to stay 100% stock or i cant run...Yeah right [>:]
Old 04-03-2006, 02:14 PM
RC_Diablo

Hmmmmm sounds like the buggy still has a few problems BUT for $150 It might be worth it
Old 04-03-2006, 04:36 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Tamiya 4wd buggies are da bomb...i was thinking about this one as i like how it's lighter than the rising storm, has more adjustability, and looks kool
Old 04-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Flyojumper

Lighter than the rising storm? Nice. Do you have the exact weight figures of both?
Does anyone know how limiting is the lack of slipper clutch? For traction of course and would the lack of it damage the transmission more when you run hot motors or possibly BL?
BTW, how good is the tranny and if stock it can't handle good BL power (say novak 5.5r or LRP neo 3 stars) can it be upgraded to handle it?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:19 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

If the rising storm is capable of handling bl, then this surely will. The RS is like a rock. My evader with mashers is only slightly heavier then a RS. Not sure of the exact weight though.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Flyojumper

So how do you know that this one is lighter than the rising storm? Assumptions that since it's newer it must be lighter? For info, towerhobbies list the rising storm kit as 1195g.
And can the rising storm really handle 5.5r novak or so BL power in its stock form without any gear damage? If so, that's quite a feat and I've never heard about it until now.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:42 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

The rising storm's tranny is all metal besides the spur gear...and the spur gears aren't that bad either. The RS is capable of handling the ss5800, and i don't see why not the 5.5 as long as your not on the throttle without lifting for a whole run. I've run 550 motors and the only reason i stipped a spur is because the spur cover ripped off from all the power, but that was even more insane than a bl. It was a 6v 550 running on 7.2v with truggy tires. I am making an assumption which i guarantee is right. The storm's chassis is very wide and bulky when this thing's design is skinny and needs no large servo/esc mount as the storm does.

Hmmm...i wonder if those tires include foams?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Flyojumper

Nice, I didn't know the rising storm tranny was all metal in stock form. I wonder why associated, duratrax etc don't do the same on their buggies and STs...
However the 5.5r is quite a different animal than the ss5800. Still, all metal might be able to handle it, I wonder if anyone on this board has tried this combo.
On your remarks of bulky vs skinny chassis, wouldn't that make the dark impact mor fragile though?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:55 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

Possibly more fragile, but it's a tamiya...have you owned one? You can bash and jump for months without breaking a part, so i don't think 2" off the chassis should make that significant of a difference.

The storm's tranny is alot different then your average 2wd buggy/truck. The spur gear is located in the rear of the chassis, paralell to the shock tower and the motor placed perpendidcular to the shock tower. It uses a shaft to connect the front and rear main gears(smaller metal gears) which then rotate the disk-like gear on the differential cases. If you really wanna see, i can get a pick. I wouldn't doubt that it would handle the 5.5. The only bad thing about the storm is it's limited gearing possibilities. All you have is a 18, 19t pinion with stock spur, and 21-22 with the 67t spur.

Tamiya has this type of quality in most of their cars. They may not be the prettiest or best performing, but you rarely hear someone complaining abut a tamiya. I have owned 4 and never have regretted it.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:02 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

Oh and it will probably handle that bl, but with the tires i'm running now i would probably blow-out all 4 tires. A reedy quad mag gets them unglued.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Flyojumper

Do you know the internal tranny ratio of the rising storm? (just to calculate the final ratio with the available pinion/spurs you posted)
Sure, seeing a pic of the tranny would be cool if it's not bothersome, do it when you have time or when you work on it.
I haven't personally owned a tamiya yet but yes I have heard and know that they do reliable and durable cars.
BTW does anyone know if that dark impact can use all the standard 2.2" rims and tires?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:03 PM
BitHed

...foams are included...weight is listed at about 1675 grams...It is about right...There is nothing OVERLY heavy on it...Design wise it has everything it needs, (albeit no slipper) but there is nothing on it that is over-built...

...The front and rear towers are slightly flexy in stock form...They are quite high, ie mounted low and the towers are high, so its pretty normal for them to flex but they are defintaely one part you would want to strengthen...Rollon carbon / alloy parts

...The outdrives for the front to rear driveshaft are plastic...They are good and strong and no complaints but they would be better in alloy or steel...Perhaps TAMIYA wants us to buy this upgrade too? I HATE 'planned' weak points [>:]

...It is standing up to brushless so far...
Old 04-03-2006, 07:06 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

ORIGINAL: Flyojumper

Do you know the internal tranny ratio of the rising storm? (just to calculate the final ratio with the available pinion/spurs you posted)
Sure, seeing a pic of the tranny would be cool if it's not bothersome, do it when you have time or when you work on it.
I haven't personally owned a tamiya yet but yes I have heard and know that they do reliable and durable cars.
BTW does anyone know if that dark impact can use all the standard 2.2" rims and tires?
I have seen the final drive ratios somewhere...i need to do a little searching.

I'll snap a pic when i get a chance.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:09 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

70t spur:
18t--10.11
19--9.58

67t spur
22--7.92
21--8.30

These figures are for the storm's final gear ratios.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Flyojumper

1675g? So it's heavier than the rising storm then? (1195g apparently)
Tamiyacrawler (sorry not used to new name yet ) thanks for the numbers, so the internal tranny is 2.60:1 then.
How big are the rising storm tires? (and the dark impact's too?)
Those final ratio would be a lil high for 3.5" tires so it probably has 3-3.2"? Even then it's geared pretty "high" it seems but I don't mind that personally as I prefer top speed over acceleration...
Old 04-03-2006, 07:31 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

The stock tires on mine have been gone since the firs run...donuts on tar

Nearly 500 grams is a massive difference and i don't know about those numbers and if true, the DI has useless weight and will be beat by a RS as the only advantage i see now is turnbuckles and a little bit in the drivetrain.

IT's a little overgeared, but the quad mag had enough torque to make it bounce a little while accellerating if you understand what i mean. And i have onroad tires.

About the username, i like the new one better, how bout you?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Flyojumper

So how big are the tires you are using now? Can they (RS and DI) use the standard 2.2" rims and tires?
About your name, as an evader user I like that new name since it promotes our car BUT I think tamiyas need the love even more and I was used to the old name too so... How about something with a lil of both? lol
Old 04-03-2006, 07:48 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

That'sATamivader! lol jk

The tires i run now are about 3.3-3.4" and are a little smaller than stock. Both of the cars take hex wheels...as usual.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:10 PM
BitHed

...It comes with TWO spur gears...The 'stock' one is 78t and is listed to be fitted as per instructions...The other is a big-ass 85t which is listed as 'not used'...Hmm...it will fit though...and the bigger spur will give us more punch and acceleration...Sounds like a better spur for bashing

...EDIT: The recommended stock piston for the rear is the 3 hole and the 1 hole for the front with stock springs and 900 oil...I will set the 2 hole in the rear and the 1 hole in the front with 300 oil and stock springs...Pump up the preload with some spacers and just hope that the harder springs wont be too far away...

...EDIT 2: The stock pinion is 26t so you can see that the gearing is QUITE different to buggies in the past...The 26t pushes the motor RIGHT to the side of the mount so there isnt really any room to go smaller

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.