Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Dark Impact - Lunchboxer style..

Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
jammystar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dark Impact - Lunchboxer style..

Its Ansmann high speed diff grease specially for brushless systems.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Lunchboxer

Cool.. keep us posted w/ how it works! Hopefully no more melting!!
Old 07-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Garrett Jax

When assembling the differential gears (front and back) exactly how tight should I be cranking down on the cap screw (MA7) to ensure that it is properly tightened. I guess I'm trying to ask just how tight is "tight"? Is there a way to tell when I've tightened it enough? I've kind of got a "gorilla grip" when it comes to handling things and I could probably very easily tighten it beyond its point of breakage.

Also I seem to have lost one of the MK4 10mm shims that go on the front differential assembly ... how important is it to the overall performance of the vehicle?

Just as a note ... I don't race or anything. I just started these little projects so I and my father would have something to do together and maybe run them around the neighborhood and such.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM
jammystar

ORIGINAL: Garrett Jax

Also I seem to have lost one of the MK4 10mm shims that go on the front differential assembly ... how important is it to the overall performance of the vehicle?
This part is important as the bearings press up against his part, it will und up melting the diff. Get some spare's, there only cheap.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:14 PM
86waterpumper

It is usually good to snug it up as far as it will go, and then maybe back it off maybe up to 1/2 of a turn. You will know if it's slipping when you run the car that's for sure. If it does, then don't keep running it, or it will melt the gear quick. However, you certainly don't want to torque the thing enough to where it either snaps off the head of the bolt as some have done, or cracks the glue that holds the metal plates to the outdrives...
Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Garrett Jax

@jammystar: Do you think I can get the shims at my local hobby shop or will I have to order them from Tamiya?

@86waterpumper: Thank you for putting into plain terms how tight to make it. I actually abandoned the project until I could get a better understanding of it. I wish they would put things like that in the actual directions.

Thanks for the heads-up guys. I appreciate the info.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:20 PM
86waterpumper

No worry, when i first built mine, I did them WAY too loose, so it's a typical deal. Those were the first ball diffs I had done, I have always been used to regular old tamiya gears like on the older cars. It definately helps to mash the spring on the diff a couple times with pliers to "break it in" so to speak, and I had already done that very well, but I just underestimated the tightness it would need to be. I tried to just hold the completed diff outdrives in my hand and spin the gear, and this isn't a very accurate test. The car did pretty good it's first run while on smooth pavement, but when I got into some short grass i could hear it slipping. It is much more accurate to do the test once the wheels are on the car, then you have way more resistance when you check it.

I just recently fixed my daughters dark impact up it had laid dormant a few weeks. Put a 14 turn motor in it, but I need a smaller pinion. Is there any other source other than the 23/25 tamiya gearbag? Seems high to spend 10 bucks on a pinion...
Man I had forgotten how much I hate the battery loading on these things. It really trashes the battery wires! Pinches them to death. I ended up cutting open part of the chassis beside the battery wire hole with some snips to hopefully alleviate some pressure on it, but I still don't like the setup. I also took the driveshaft out and played around with it a bit in 2 wheel drive mode. I found I liked it way way more as a 4x4 lol. I need to be practicing some with this thing since my 501x worlds edition is on the way haha.