Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HBX, Who else owns one??

Old 07-12-2009, 01:58 PM
remuspt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HBX, Who else owns one??

If anyone wants to try this widening of the Bonzer's footprint, i belive that better than the conversion listed on [link=http://www.rcdaggerweb.com/clyde/fisheye/view.php?gallery_id=164]this link[/link] one could use Tamiya Bush Devil\Super Blackfoot axles (part#2595082), the ones listed on the link (Clod) do not have the holes for the pin that the hex fits to and the Bush Devil ones do and are longer than the TL-01 so maybe they are better suited for this type of conversion with less parts needed.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:44 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: remuspt

I use the Bonzer for bashing, mainly offroad but some onroad, it has a 3000KV brushless ezrun motor, medium/hard dampers and now has new HPI MT Mesh wheels with Dirt Hawg II tires, should correct some of the overgearing but my problem is the wheels are a different offset so they almost scrape the knucles and i wanted some clearance and improve the stance.

I had found the extensions but there's a problem, when you add something to widen the stance and distance the wheel from the knucle you loose thread to screw the nut that secures the wheel, and i'm at the limit, that is why i wanted to find something with more thread, that way i could try wheel extensions...

ummmmmm, why do u need more thread to fit the wheel extensions???? have u seen there web site? [link]http://www.wheelextensions.com/index.htm[/link]
from what i can understand these extensions bolt on to your orignal thread then simply bolt the wheels onto the extension using supplyed parts
Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 PM
phmaximus

hows i fited the carbon gear shafts & tuned gear set, the metal shafts weigh 18g all up & the carbon ones were 2g yay i saves 16g overall
Old 07-12-2009, 07:59 PM
remuspt

Wow, i didn't know there were such extensions, they look great, tanks for the info.

For now is solved my situation (new wheels different offset) with a shim beteew the hex and the wheel, but i will keep these extensions in mind
Old 07-21-2009, 02:21 AM
double00

Hey all, Even though I have not given much input, it seem this thread is dying!!!!!!!, c'mon guys. I look foward to reading all the updates and veiwing your videos but its drying out! Here's my update, my bonzer is waiting for me to give him a new gearset. I stripped my gears front and rear after about 30 mins of playtime running a 6xl 2880, mamba max on 3s. hopefully a new gearset will do the trick but i doubt it as this motor is intended for much larger monsters!! First I lost the rear wheels so i was left with the biggest front wheels burnouts that lasted as long as i held the throttle. As a dedicated bonzer owner I will rebuild once again! but if that fails then i may buy him a erevo friend so i can use my motor.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:31 AM
bluefisherking

Ha ha - talk about overpowered! No wonder the gears packed in... but I bet it was fun while it lasted!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 PM
bluefisherking

ORIGINAL: double00
... it seem this thread is dying!!!!!!!, c'mon guys. I look foward to reading all the updates and veiwing your videos ...
Well, if you want more, here's something I've tried out today, with a view to modifying one of my Bonzers. I wanted to try some axle/wheel extensions, but was worried that they wouldn't take abuse, so I bought some (from www.wheelextensions.com ) and put them onto my test truck, which is made up of all the parts I had left over from upgrading my Bonzer and Dual Hunter(!). It uses all the same suspension arms, hubs, axles etc as the BOnzer, and I even put on a Bonzer body, so it should be relevant to fellow Bonzer owners... It has an 80A EZrun ESC and a 70A 4811kv motor driving only the rear wheels (and shock towers made out of chopping board - thanks yaleforscale!) ... so in the dry it wheelies like crazy, but in fact it had just finished raining quite hard so lots of wheelspin instead.

There are a couple of pics below - you'll see that the extensions look a little odd, but fit just fine. One of them was tricky to get the pin on, but I think that the axle was bent, so if I had used new axles it would have been fine.

I also took a quick video doing some back flips, jumps and a couple of dead-on collisions against one front wheel which send the truck spinning (about 1:00 and 1:10 into the video) - i.e. just the sort of thing that should test whether the wheel extensions are going to fail.

In fact they work just fine... See what you think.

[Video is still processing - should be working in a minute]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS0tdJW-zx4[/youtube]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37165.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1241452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92868.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	1241453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56933.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1241454  
Old 07-22-2009, 02:40 AM
phmaximus

nice, thay seem better than i thought.

he he he, might be worth trying a wheelie bar.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:58 AM
double00

Nice video, it looks a fair bit more stable sten standard with the extensions, what difference did they make? Its a shame they dont make a metal gearset for the tl01 cause i wanna keep running my 6xl!! 3s, hey i was recently looking into 4s packs. Im looking at dropping a supercharger into my v8 ute but Have not had the $$$ yet so the 6xl bonzer was the temporary substitute!! I Guess the Equivalent to my bonzer is a ute with 1200 hp!, now that would be fun.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:41 AM
bluefisherking

Yes, the extensions have made a huge difference to stability. Those tyres are Badlands which are very tall and grippy, and they normally cause loads of roll-overs. I had feared that the extensions would lead to breakages elsewhere like the C-hub or knuckle which is why I tried them out on my "experiment" truck (!) but actually they seem to take the abuse just fine...
Old 07-23-2009, 07:05 PM
phmaximus

ok well i think my buggy is finished, & ATM im waiting for the post man to deliver another HPI E-10 & a S13 silvia body, this one im going to keep stock to prove that thay are a good chassis for the price.

cant wait to get the body & paint it, im going to do it the same as my Toyota AE86 Levin, so thay looks like a street drift team.
here is what i mean
oops the pics i have dont have the drft wheels on, but here s a pic of the wheels

Old 07-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Myrslakt

I've looked at wheelextensions site and I can't figure out which ones to buy...

I guess I need 12 mm hexes, but there are several to choose from!

WE008 for the Axial
WE012 for the Stampede, Rustler, Slash and Bandit
WE014 for the Wheely King and MT2

which ones of these for the HBX?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:26 AM
bluefisherking

ORIGINAL: Myrslakt

I've looked at wheelextensions site and I can't figure out which ones to buy...

I guess I need 12 mm hexes, but there are several to choose from!

WE008 for the Axial
WE012 for the Stampede, Rustler, Slash and Bandit
WE014 for the Wheely King and MT2

which ones of these for the HBX?

Thanks!
Yes, I had the same question - I emailed them (Rob I think) and said just to let him know what truck it was and he would send me a Paypal request. So I said that I needed 1", 12mm hex extensions for a Tamiya TL-01/TL-01B chassis.

Actually I suspect that they are indeed the same as one or more of the ones you listed, but at least this way I didn't have to guess...
Old 07-26-2009, 04:42 PM
ifan

I dont why people love thease HBX so much i just cant see no reasons, to make them good they end up really expensive so the only reason that a lot of people want them is because their cheep, but they just arent!! I had a bonzer and i liked it........ until it broke.... every time i drove it [:@] + the stock esc and reciever and transmitters are sh*t! If u want a cheep fun and durable rc car a tamiya Lunchbox is alot better than the HBX and tougher... that said if a RTR is needed E-savage is great [>:] anyways... i dot recomend a bonzer a E-Savage is a much better investment in the end
Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 PM
bluefisherking

Well, yes, I understand where you are coming from, but an E-Savage is £300 which is a lot for someone who wants to try out the hobby, and then try their hand at tinkering (inexpensively). It was a £65 Bonzer that got me into the hobby and at the time I would never have spent the money on the E-Savage. Now, since then I got hooked, and fixing/upgrading the Bonzer has given me confidence to understand what I want and to splash out rather more ... my addiction has lead to another Bonzer, a Taniya buggy, a 6x6 Bonzer, two Dual Hunters, an E-Revo BE, a Savage Flux, an E-Firestorm Flux, a TL-01 road car, an RC18MT, a Micro-DT and that's before you get to the bikes, helicopters and (as of just this week) planes! But I can honestly say that I wouldn't ever have bought (let alone modified) any of them were it not for that first eBay Bonzer. And I still really enjoy that first Bonzer (although in truth the only things actually left from the original are the screws and one prop shaft!)

So you are right - the logical thing to do is buy the best truck day one, but sometimes you want simpler fun right now!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 PM
wheelextensions

Thanks for the Test Video and I'm Glad they lived up to your expectations!!! www.wheelextensions.com
Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM
saxpg

Hi to you all, and thank you for so much good info in whole this topic.
I have my bonzer for almost two years now, and it had only a few minor faults like burned esc ( I tried it on 12V [sm=red_smile.gif] ), dead servo and a few days ago damaged pinon gear. That was my fault because I havent instaled motor properly after detailed cleaning. I am runing on 2S 2200 25C LiPo.

I have couple of questions.
I have replaced gear set with this one :

Now , when I am going fast and break, or changing from forward to backwards, I hear a crackling sound. Like some of the gears scratching.
Do you have any idea why?

The other thing is this motor . Do you thing this could be good combination with Ez brushless ESC 60A:
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9449&Product_Name=Turnigy_540L_V-Spec_Inrunner_w/_Impeller_810kv]Turnigy 540L V-Spec Inrunner w/ Impeller 810kv[/link]
This motor have impeler so I think it could have good cooling.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Myrslakt

A bit late but... thanks bluefisherking!

I'll send them an e-mail, or... as we have them in this thread... [8D]

Hey, wheelextensions.com, what extensions for our Bonzers?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Cheap Guy

ORIGINAL: ifan

I dont why people love thease HBX so much i just cant see no reasons, to make them good they end up really expensive so the only reason that a lot of people want them is because their cheep, but they just arent!! I had a bonzer and i liked it........ until it broke.... every time i drove it [:@] + the stock esc and reciever and transmitters are sh*t! If u want a cheep fun and durable rc car a tamiya Lunchbox is alot better than the HBX and tougher... that said if a RTR is needed E-savage is great [>:] anyways... i dot recomend a bonzer a E-Savage is a much better investment in the end

Like Bluefisherking stated, the HBX cars are a great way to inexpensively get started in RC cars. My first two cars were a toy store RC car ($30) and a HBX Skyline ($60). Guess which one was worth every penny? The HBX cars are easy and inexpensive to work on and parts are relatively easy to find. My next car was a true Tamiya car, a TB-02 and the HBX proved far more durable. I've moved on to other cars and my HBX car don't get much run time, mainly because I've move "upscale" with Traxxas and Losi cars, which are easier to upgrade and find parts for, but the HBX is what got me started.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:52 AM
phmaximus

I agree, the HBX cars are the best starting point for beginers, thay are cheep so if u get out of the hobby u havent wasted to much money & the inital out lay is affordable. ive seen radio shack/tandy cars more expensive & thay dont have spare & hop-up parts. So saying that the hbx cars can be serviced, maintaned & upgraded. The on road TL-01 chassis can be a good racer, just with the tamiya upgrades & brushed & brushless motor. back in its day it was a good chassis. only thing was when the chassis was turned into a buggy i dont think they ever planed for it to be re-realesed with monster truck wheels. hbx did a ok job doing this but thay never got the gearing problem worked out, meaning with out going brushless its hard to get it to go reliably faster.

long live the bonzer
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 AM
dazzler441

I've been away for a long while and now back sorting out my Bonzer. The reason I started back in the hobby was thankfully down to the Bonzer. It cost me £60 from ebay, you could upgrade the parts with Tamiya and others, you have a great support network of people on this forum who have taken the Bonzer from basic to crazy.
Since my initial purchase, I know have an Assosciated RC10B4, Ansmann Master Smacker & Vapor, Wheely King, and Axial AX10 all thanks to what I learned with Bonzer. Long may it continue.
PS: Glad to see the extensions work a treat and will be ordering some soon, I'm sure I asked the question a long time ago
Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 PM
remuspt

Well, my 3000kv Bonzer is doing great, tested it today with GPS and it went about 50km\h (30mph) and has lots of torque, the motor still gets hot.

Here's a video of a crash at top speed, i didn't think those rocks were that big, the funny thing is i broke the rear shock tower, not the front, i had my cell phone\GPS on top of the shell at the rear inside a plastic blister and it sustained no damage

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxTT6vxhNTs]50km\h crash[/link]
Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM
wheelextensions

If you email me [email protected] with the axle diameter, axle pin diameter, (all four axles must use axle pins) and what hex size you would like, (12mm 14mm or 17mm) we can make them for just about any application.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:35 AM
bluefisherking

ORIGINAL: wheelextensions

If you email me [email protected] with the axle diameter, axle pin diameter, (all four axles must use axle pins) and what hex size you would like, (12mm 14mm or 17mm) we can make them for just about any application.
Hi Rob,
When you supplied mine, I specified that they were for Twin Detonator axle/suspension parts (which is what the Bonzer uses, including the 12mm hex), was that a custom item that you made, or did it correspond to one of the standard items you list on your site? If the latter, it would be worth posting here which one it was so that the HBX/Bonzer owners can know which one to order without having to email you...
Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 PM
lam1na

How much did you pay for your wheele extensions bluefisher ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.