Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

trinity motoors

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:17 AM
rc10b4_racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trinity motoors

hey guys i just wanted to make this thread so people can talk about there trinity motors and specs such as speed acceleration ect… if anybody knows I was wondering how fast a speed gems pro 10t pyrite would go on a b4 with 6 cells. I do know that a speed gems pro 16t goes 31mph on a t4 and a TI worlds 10t which is slower goes 38mph. im guessing it should hit 40. I own a SGpro 13t kobal and 10t pyrite.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Shmoke_fatsk
Banned

Default RE: trinity motoors

only 38mph?, with a reedy 10T in your t4 RC driver got it past 40mph 41.87mph! in a T4, but yeah i would stick with reedy motors trinity has ripped me off so many times it not funny all there stuff is a waste of money, and i dont like it, i truly have a reason not to like it, reedy makes very good motors mabey not V2 and cobalt technology!, but it'll hang with them anyday!, get your self a reedy KR 10x2 and it'll rip in your T4 faster motor then the ti!, the kr's are there strongest and fastest motors! reedy makes!, but yes stick with reedy!, you cant go wrong!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:39 PM
softair0

HEy,

i have a duratrax evader ext and i was looking to upgrade the motor

and good recommendations waht i should put in it? thanks
Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 PM
j.m.

Softair guy, What is your esc rated for?

Everybody else:

Guys, you got to get an orion. Very high quality stuff, and about half the price of the others.

Take my sv2 pro for example.

The second i got it, i new it was absolute high quality since is hit about 20,000 rpm on 4 volts(half dead battery that had been sitting for about 2 weeks since my car broke.)
Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 PM
pede_187

Is this a bad combo: TRX Stampede geared 14/87/Novak XRS/Trinity speed gems 15t motor. My esc keeps shutting down. Should I gear lower (these speed gems motors sure do pack a punch)?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:42 PM
softair0

stock only 20 turns
Old 02-12-2008, 04:14 PM
ericke1

I have an old Tekin Rebel rated for 10T+ motors, any suggestions on a good low cost alternative? Perhaps 12T or 13T, wants speeds of about 35-40mph.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:47 PM
j.m.

get this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFSW6&P=7

One of the best low turn motors money can buy, and it's still not that expensive.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:54 PM
ericke1

Thanks, will these work with that motor or should I just go deans?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTJ21&P=ML

How does that motor compare to these?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPLS0&P=FR

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TRIC1056&P=K
Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
j.m.

The Jansen edition is going to be the same motor with different colors/markings. Just like this one:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFSY7&P=7

The speed gems motors are okay, but not nearly as good as a revolution.

Deans are a must, and the revolution motors will not work with that type of connector, as there is nothing for them to connect to. I'm pretty sure you have to solder directly to the brush hood.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:00 PM
cheech4

agreed,,, those motors are the best, but if the price is steep for you and thats steering you away from them, then i suggest the orion formula or the orion method motors which are orion budget motors. IMO budget in price not in performance.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 AM
freestylingford

Yea I agree the orion sv is definitely a strong motor performance wise but not as durable as the revolution or any other v design. So its worth the extra cost in my opinion I have owned all of those motor designs and you get what you pay for. But if all you do is clean the motor after every pack ,..change brushes every 7runs (bashing)........... I don't know for racing but I usually don't see much difference in the neg brush anyways in 7 runs " so someone else might know the number for racing.I am talking about 12t 10t 15t motors by the way this is on 6c most of the time. Seldom on 8 cells. Its easier to rattle brushes as they get short which can cause comm deformation especially at high rpm. And thats where your v design helps. So like the guy above said it depends on your wallet. But doesn't every thing?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
justinep

I personally was always a fan of their hand-wound motors. Even the Speed Gems were a great bang for the buck!

I remember doing some 6 cell speed testing back in the day and the 10t S.G. with a 6 cell 2000mah pack on a Tamiya TA0-3 chassis did 26mph and the handwound D3 10t did 31 (quite a difference). I never really strayed too far from Trinity when buying motors, except for the Reedy Fury 10t quint (which lasted only 10 runs).

I just bought the Trinity DUO 3.5t Brushless and... I love it! The power band is smooth with a consistant, POWERFUL top end!

I got nothing bad to say about Trinity motors. I'm a big fan!

- J
Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 AM
ericke1

But I dont understand why the Jansen motor, if it is the same, is cheaper than the other one? Why wouldnt everyone just pick up the Janesen one?

Trinity Revolution also makes a 10T motor, will that be much better in performance than the 12t, the price is identical, I confirmed with Tekin the following, direct quote:

"I guess if you're looking for the
best speed you can get with the Rebel, a 10T is the only
thing that's going to get you there. You'll need to be sure
that your motor isn't running over 155* F after a 6 minute
run or so and you'll know that you're not over-working the
Rebel. Keep it on 6 cells and you will be fine.

You cannot use brushless with the Rebel, it is a completely
different operating system and brushless motors have 3
wires, one for each phase, and some have a sensor harness so
the ESC knows the position of the rotor. If you want to go
brushless check out our R1 ESCs and Redline sensorless
motors. For sensored systems, our RS will be out soon."
Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
j.m.

Sure why not. But keep in mind that you will have to buy new gears as well.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:06 PM
jwrAMC

Can anybody help me identify and spec this Trinity Speed Gems 2 motor?

I recently bought a used Blackfoot (original version) and it had a Mtroniks Viper RV15 ESC and a 9-tooth pinion gear on this motor.

I didn't attempt to run the thing, as it's being downgraded to 100% stock for 'shelf queen' status.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7064222

But if this motor is worthy, I'd like to run it in my new BF Xtreme that is currently being built.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7096055

All info and ideas appreciated.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 PM
justinep

I have a speed gem (1st gen) and its the same color so, after doing a little research onthe difference between speedgems 1 and 2... NOTHING! They don't make "these" anymore but, I am willing to bet it is the same as mine, which is...

Speedgems (Orange color, I forget what they call the color)
12 turn Triple (almost positive its triple wound)
ball bearings
machine wound

Just double check that the esc can handle the turn.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM
jwrAMC

Here's a reply I got over at TamiyaClub.com:

"It's a Trinity Speed Gems 2 Topaz, they were identified by the colour of the can and endbell.

That makes it an 11 triple wind motor, very unsuitable for a truck."

He sounds pretty darn sure of that info, eh? I believe the ESC is RV15 to mean 15-turn limit...so it's entirely possible I've been given a fried ESC (or not).

Here's the bulk of my reply to his answer:

"Sooo... consider me a twit on the various specs that apply to such motors. About all I know is the lower the number of turns the.....'better'? Is this number giving me an indication of relative torque, horsepower, RPM limit.....how does 'turns' apply to performance (if you don't mind 'learning me some'.

If this motor *IS* in good shape...what *IS* it intended for? Would it also be 'far too much' for a TL01?"

Anybody here that can offer some guidance are invited to do so. And its much appreciated.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:36 PM
justinep

Lower the turn means....

If you have an 11 turn triple.. that means you have 3 (triple) wires wrapped around the armature (rotating device inside the can) 11 times. The lower the turn generally means the faster the motor (also shorter runs times and more heat). Single, Double, Triple, Quad, and Quint mean... the lower the wind generally means more torque off the line and the higher wind means little more top end. Your motor is probably fine...heres all the Trinity Speedgem 2 color/ specs...

X9210 'TOPAZ' 11 triple
X9211 'RUBY’ 16 triple
X9212 'SAPPHIRE’ 17 single
X9213 'DIAMOND' 12 double
X9214 'ONYX' 14 double
X9215 'AMETHYST' 17 double
X9219 'PLATINUM' 13 triple
X9220 'ZIRCON' 9 double
X9224 'GARNET' 13 double

Your RV15 is intended for 15 turns and higher. Your buddy was running an eleven turn triple on it which could definetly cause thermal damage and a fried board. I'd be willing to bet the ESC is done for. There's planty of great ESC's for brushed modified motors with and without reverse that can handle that more and even unlimited $70+. If you are going to get a new ESC I would save up and get something you won't need to upgrade later. The Traxxas Velineon ESC is $120 and can handle Brushed, Brushless (sensored and sensorless), 9 Nimh cells or up to a 3cell Lipo. Also check out the mamba max's and Novak. I fyo plan on staying in the hobby its a good idea to get it right the first time or you'll be upgrading in 3 months as this hobby disease takes over your wallet!!!

Let us know what you do.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:40 PM
justinep

BTW.... Your motor is perfect for a touring car like the TL01 (I run a 10 turn quad in mine with 8 cells with no problems aside from swapping brushes)!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:17 AM
j.m.

8 CELLS!!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 AM
jwrAMC

Thx Justin.

I'm just getting back into RC (in a big way, it seems) after 20 years away from the hobby...and I was more a practiced-driver than techy-builder back then. So I have a lot to learn on the specs end of things.

I've pulled my old original Blackfoot out of a box, dusted it off and have disassembled it with plans to return it to "Let's see what we can break today" status.

I bought the second 'pampered' original BF to return to 100% stock 'display only' duty and it came with the ESC and SG2 motor....so I figured to move them to the basher instead.

I also bought a pampered TL01 that's en route to me now, so now I'm thinking I'll run that 'stock' for a little while, then buy a kickazz ESC for it and drop the SG2 in it.

I guess I'll invest in a new motor for the new Xtreme I'm building. Any recommendations for a very torquey unit with a medium improvement in speed? Preferably something ready-ro-run (or is everything still 'solder it yourself'?). I'm hoping this ESC isn't fried, and will use it on the basher if so, so a 15T limit applies on the motor choices.

Thanks again....again.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:15 AM
justinep

jwr,

Welcome back to the club brother! I too just got back into cars this past Dec after a 4-5 year heli/plane stint. I've been into this hobby since 1988 so, we are both old timers! I came back and bought the Traxxas Bandit VXL just to get me involved with the brushless units. Since then, I bought another Velineon brushless system, a Trinity Duo brushless 3 turn, an MGM brushless controller and 4 lipos (Wife has taken my cards and wallet now). I strongly suggest that you get a new esc that you wont need to upgrade later (and one that can handle brushed/ brushless, nimh, lipos and at least a 3s lipo - 11.1v). These brushless set-ups are a dream compared to what we were running back in the day. In the 90's a 50mph electric (or nitro) car was the fastest thing int he world and most of us were running in the 20-30mph range. Now we are seeing stock vehicles both electric and nitro being advertised at 70 mph (insane).

The tl01 is a bit of a dogsled stock... I would replace the bushings with bearings and put a 10 turn and 6-7cells and she will "wake-up" and be a solid 30mph parking lot basher.

The blackfoot would be perfect with a 15t and alot of fun! Do you know if the ESC is cooked?

For the Extreme it all depends on what your looking to do with her! What kind of improvements in speed? If you bought a brushless set-up (both motor and esc) you'd be able to keep her at a stock 24mph or put her at 60 with cells and gearing, it's really up to you. I really siggest looking at some brushless units.. Mamba Max (alot to choose from and I would look at the 5700kv... kv= rmp per volt, and the 5700 is not too low and too high). The Traxxas velineon system (motor & esc) is around $165.00 (or $115 - esc, and $90 - motor) features, NO SOLDERING, EZ set-up, capable of 3cell lipos or 9 cell nimh, brushed and brushless motors (you can swap it in your vehicles) and its a very affordable unit that a breeze to understand and work. I'm not a Pro- Traxxas guy but I started with this unit (still love it) and helped me understand this new technology quickly.

So as for you motor..... it depends on the speed control. If you keep your rv15 I would look at some Affordable 15T Trinitys (perferrably hand-wound motors), Orions, and Reedy motors. What batteries or you using?

Welcome back!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
jwrAMC

ORIGINAL: justinep

I strongly suggest that you get a new esc that you wont need to upgrade later (and one that can handle brushed/ brushless, nimh, lipos and at least a 3s lipo - 11.1v).

The tl01 is a bit of a dogsled stock... I would replace the bushings with bearings and put a 10 turn and 6-7cells and she will "wake-up" and be a solid 30mph parking lot basher.

The blackfoot would be perfect with a 15t and alot of fun! Do you know if the ESC is cooked?

For the Extreme it all depends on what your looking to do with her! What kind of improvements in speed? ... I really siggest looking at some brushless units..
So as for you motor..... it depends on the speed control. If you keep your rv15 I would look at some Affordable 15T Trinitys (perferrably hand-wound motors), Orions, and Reedy motors. What batteries or you using?

Welcome back!
Thanks.

When I got the Xtreme, I ordered up a full 'combo' of essentially entry-level stuff to get everything I needed to run, at once. The charger is AC/DC Peak, programmable and can handle Nicd and Nimh. The batteries are a Trinity Nimh 3200 and a basic TowerHobbies 1500 NiCd.

The plan (of the moment) is to 'run what I have' and upgrade bit by bit...not top-out all of them at once.

The idea for the old BF is to run an old 'Race Prep' stock-class motor that is as old as the truck...provided it is still servicable. It will use the RV15, if it too is working. For control, again 20-year-old gear- my old Futaba Magnum Sport. I'll upgrade immediately any of these pieces that are not working and workable.

The Xtreme will get the unused, vintage 'Pocket Rocket' stock-class motor I have on hand, using the Tamiya ESC included in the kit. Control is a new Futaba T2PH.

I have no real idea what is in the TL01 beyond stock components, so I expect to use the SG2 motor in it with a new, high-end ESC that can handle that motor. I think a late-1990s Magnum Sport radio is coming with it, and it will stay 'til it proves lousy or broken.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200199267776

(The SG2 motor and RV15 ESC came with my shelf-queen BF shown here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190194387686)

All have or will get full sealed-bearing kits. The Xtreme is getting a ,oad of alloy suspension bits, beadlock wheels, Moab tires and other goodies, as I find them. The old BF has LOADS of vintage mods that I'll be re-using and adding to. The TL01 will also get upgrades as I find them and as I break original parts.

Intended uses: The old BF is 100% abuse. I used to drive that sucker off a 6' retaining wall with little to no penalty. The Xtreme will be treated mildly better, but will get dirty and wet. The TL01 will see lite use, on paved surfaces, mainly for just racing around for fun. I don't plan to race any of them in any organized fashion- I just find the abundance of rules and guys that master the gray areas to just drive the fun out of everything, so I stick to just small gatherings of hobbyists who like to run them- no refs required.

Trucks are tipsy, so all out speed is very secondary to torque...cuz turning at speed is usually a bad thing. The TL doesn't need to set any records- just want to juice it up enough to not be the dog in every group.

All that making sense?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:22 PM
justinep

you are making perfect sense and doing it perfectly. With all those cars you can sell the radios and get one for $80 with model memory (less to lug). Sounds like you know what yer doing.... and upgrading as you break is the way to go!

Congrats on your new purchases and good luck! When you are up and running post some pics!

Best,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.