Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Company tuned motor, big problem here, help.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Nawabi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Company tuned motor, big problem here, help.

Bought a Reedy Quad Mag (Tuned by x-company, dont want to give out the name just yet) a while ago, I unpacked it this week and fitted deans and was ready to take it for a spin. At first it did fly, for 30 seconds or so, then something strange happen'd. After letting go off the throttle and coming to a halt, the car wouldnt move, stone dead.

What was needed was a small push to the rear of the car, so the motor pinion got a "tapp", then it accelerated as usuall. But this problem is a returning problem, everytime the car comes to a stop, it needs a push to get moving.

I have done some testing, with different ESC, Recievers, Transmitters, batteries, resoldered the wires and deans etc. And I have come to the conclusion that there problem lies inside the motor in some way.

What can this be? The Brushes are almost unused, 2 minutes top. The comm looks clean, the spings feel right.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Tobias - Sweden
Old 01-21-2007, 09:26 AM
bIGmiK

Default RE: Company tuned motor, big problem here, help.

Did you break it in?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Gado

I had the same problem for a different motor. It has to do with the armature and the motor windings coming undone or one of the communicator pads not working. Get the motor replaced.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Nawabi

ORIGINAL: bIGmiK

Did you break it in?
It's Tuned and broken in by a company.

Tobias
Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Doahh

That's a sign of brushes hanging up...

So what company was it?
Old 01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Nawabi

ORIGINAL: Doahh

That's a sign of brushes hanging up...

So what company was it?
Yes that was my thought to, bad connection - Brushes/Comm. But as far as I can tell, the brushes slides in and out without problem. I have even tried to add external (gently) pressure to the brushes, still "stalling".

I wont tell wich company untill I have gotten a response of how we deal with this, it's a good company with exelent motors, with so far great customer support. Dont want to bad mouth them.

I have only so far gotten this answer "Make sure the brushes go in and out of the hoods easily to make sure there is not a hung brush.".

So Im waiting.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Dudelive

Remove the body so as to get to the motor good. When it stops and won't move, atach a voltmeter to the brush wires very gently. Lift the rear and see if it moves, if not what is the voltage? If you have voltage to the brushes it would seem as though Doahh is correct, which it does sound like is the problem.

Also try taking a tooth pick and press in on the brush when it won't move with the rear off the ground. If the motor starts you know for sure there is a bad connection. You do have the motor wires soldered on good, don't you?
Old 01-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Nawabi

ORIGINAL: Dudelive

Remove the body so as to get to the motor good. When it stops and won't move, atach a voltmeter to the brush wires very gently. Lift the rear and see if it moves, if not what is the voltage? If you have voltage to the brushes it would seem as though Doahh is correct, which it does sound like is the problem.

Also try taking a tooth pick and press in on the brush when it won't move with the rear off the ground. If the motor starts you know for sure there is a bad connection. You do have the motor wires soldered on good, don't you?
Thanks for the input, I will check the voltige later today, have my mulitmeter out on loan, got to get it. I have checked to see if it helps to add pressure without result. The motor wires should be fine, looks good and I have redone them to.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Nawabi

Well.

I have now tested the voltige on the brushes, on the brush wires and on the solderings.

At 20 (v) the reading is 7.81v at all places (att full throttle), both when the motor works, and when it has stalled

So the brushes has power.

I have also tried once again to add pressure to the brushes to add contact to comm, still nothing.

So I am out of ideas now, I cant see what can cause this.

Doahh, you said that it could be that the brushes had hang up, Im not shure I follow, Do you meen hanging up as in they are to close to the comm, or hanging up as in not connected to the comm enough?

Please, any help is appreciated.

/tobias
Old 01-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Nawabi

WOHO, I will recieve a replacement motor!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Dudelive

Pull out on the brush by the braided brush wire by 1/8" and turn loose, it should snap back and not just go back. There should be a definite snap to each one, my bet one is dragging when it gets warm or hot because things expand when warm sometimes and the brush hoods can expand ONLY when warm or hot.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Doahh

The brush is hanging up in the hood and is not contacting the comm.. so gonna release he company name yet?