Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

The official UNOFFICIAL thread of Tamiya Frog - LB strikes again!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The official UNOFFICIAL thread of Tamiya Frog - LB strikes again!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The official UNOFFICIAL thread of Tamiya Frog - LB stikes again..

Sweet The Frog boxart from Tamiyabase.com!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30027.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	632292  
Old 03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Lunchboxer

Here's one for the Brat!

Name:	Pm34993.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	632296  
Old 03-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Grantothismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LB,

Thanks for posting my pic - that is pretty nice of you.

I will post a better pic of my original 1983 version, built on the Monster Beetle.

Things that I used from my Monster Beetle - 2.2 tires just like on the Lunchbox. Rear oil shocks. Rear skid Pad. Font steering knukles to hold the 2.2 tires.

If you have ever ran a frog in the day, the rear has a tendency to bottom out quite easily. This leads to the plates to bend a bit creating slop in the diffs and then - STRIP - the two pot metal diff gears strip created the most dreaded clicking sound.

Thorp use to make a ball diff for the Frog that was well worth the money - but are very hard to find these days.

I wonder if companies are going to remake some of the aftermarket stuff for the frog since it has been re-released. They might be missing out.

Good luck on the build - I compared my new manual to the old and in many cases it is EXACTLY the same - same picture, words, and advice. Gotta love Tamiya - why change a good thing.

The TamTech stuff is hot in Japan. They have whole race series and 5 different vehicles already for this class. The are 1/16 instead ot 1/18 for whatever reason - Tamiya just likes to be different. I like the quirky nature of Tamiya, but even I get disappointed with some of the ideas. I bought the Nitro Thunder when if first cam out because I thought what a great idea - a 1/10 buggy like the 1/8 scale without all the hassle. The vehicle was disappointing for the fact that it was an answer to a question that nobody is asking. The engine was anemic, there was little part support and it just never ran like I thought it should. I should have just got a TNX.

Oh well - live and learn.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Grantothismo

LB,

That box is an original Brat - do you have it? Or just got the picture for their site?

You can tell the difference in the car picture in the upper right. The MSC and the steering setup are the clue. The old Brat used equal length tierods to the wheels and the new one uses the same as the frog. Also the aluminum shocks are missing.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Lunchboxer

No, that's from the website, Tamiyabase.com

Yeah, MSC is a give away..

What do you mean by the equal length tie-rods.. ?! You mean the Frog does not?? Or?

ORIGINAL: Grantothismo

LB,

That box is an original Brat - do you have it? Or just got the picture for their site?

You can tell the difference in the car picture in the upper right. The MSC and the steering setup are the clue. The old Brat used equal length tierods to the wheels and the new one uses the same as the frog. Also the aluminum shocks are missing.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Lunchboxer

Thanks for stopping by! We need some real Frog expert here! I will be new to the chassis.. (not new to Tamiya.. had the original Hornet and Wild Willy, and built many many other kits for the LHS when I was young, in exchange for discount, LOL! So I actually got to built some of the cool ones, like HotShot, Bruiser, etc.)

For sure, it would be great if the aftermarket companies decide to re-introduce some of the hop-ups for the old classic!

LB,

Thanks for posting my pic - that is pretty nice of you.

I will post a better pic of my original 1983 version, built on the Monster Beetle.

Things that I used from my Monster Beetle - 2.2 tires just like on the Lunchbox. Rear oil shocks. Rear skid Pad. Font steering knukles to hold the 2.2 tires.

If you have ever ran a frog in the day, the rear has a tendency to bottom out quite easily. This leads to the plates to bend a bit creating slop in the diffs and then - STRIP - the two pot metal diff gears strip created the most dreaded clicking sound.

Thorp use to make a ball diff for the Frog that was well worth the money - but are very hard to find these days.

I wonder if companies are going to remake some of the aftermarket stuff for the frog since it has been re-released. They might be missing out.

Good luck on the build - I compared my new manual to the old and in many cases it is EXACTLY the same - same picture, words, and advice. Gotta love Tamiya - why change a good thing.

The TamTech stuff is hot in Japan. They have whole race series and 5 different vehicles already for this class. The are 1/16 instead ot 1/18 for whatever reason - Tamiya just likes to be different. I like the quirky nature of Tamiya, but even I get disappointed with some of the ideas. I bought the Nitro Thunder when if first cam out because I thought what a great idea - a 1/10 buggy like the 1/8 scale without all the hassle. The vehicle was disappointing for the fact that it was an answer to a question that nobody is asking. The engine was anemic, there was little part support and it just never ran like I thought it should. I should have just got a TNX.

Oh well - live and learn.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Grantothismo

No the tie rods are not. The servo sits to the left so the left tie rod is shorter than the right. Turns better to the left than right or vice a versa - I will have to look at mine tonight and pst some pics of what I am talking about. If you look that the car picture in the upper right on your Frog box you can see what I am talking about.

Great car to build. You have fun - comes with bearings for the diff, but don't forget to get 8 - 5x11 bearings for the front and rear wheels.

The greatest part about the buggy are the trailing arms - who makes trailing arms? Keeps the buggy much more compact without the shock tower in the rear. The other is the inboard front springs - Uses a cantilever to operate the spring from the lower arm - too cool. Really hard to put on a oil dampered shock - but hey it looked great without the springs up front.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Lunchboxer

Crap.. I think I might be out of bearings.. I maybe have like 4 of something left.. but I may have enough.. I usually have some inventory.. let me check tonight.. LOL!!

Yes, definitely like to see some more pics of your cars for sure!!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Grantothismo

I'll post them tonight.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:43 PM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I expect some awesome action shots like this of your Frog EP!

Check it out:

Name:	Wr55057.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	632321  
Old 03-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Lunchboxer

That's pretty sweet!!

Yeah, I am sure I will be taking some pics, as usual!!

ORIGINAL: hunter306

I expect some awesome action shots like this of your Frog EP!

Check it out:
Old 03-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Lunchboxer

Try to make this thread as informative as possible about Frog... doing some research on what hop-ups are out there..

This one looks good.. pretty $$$, though.. the CVD... but it is to be expected.. it is made by Tamiya!

With 3Racing would sell one!!

Name:	By76489.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	632345  
Old 03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Lunchboxer

I think this is the original decal set.. still has the NGK sticker!!

Name:	Jh17130.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	632347  
Old 03-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Checkpointracer

Lunchboxer must really be into the vintage tamiya rc's. To bad a sand viper isn't a vintage. Thats a good thing for me though.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Lunchboxer

LOL, well, I grew up with the old school stuff..

If I want new design stuff, I would probably pick a Losi or AE for RWD buggy...

I might get a Losi XXX-T stadium truck, though...
Old 03-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Grantothismo

That's it LB - Is that your sticker set? You get 30-50 for it on E-bay.

The CVD is worth it, just for the cool factor. I still put the rubber boot over mine. I am still looking for the CRP Front shock set - won't put it n my new one, but definately on my original.

The boot is the coolest thing. They are just starting to make cars with them again - Tamiya had them 20 years ago.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Checkpointracer

But those buggies are for racing. And you told me about a month ago that you're not very competitive..........

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

LOL, well, I grew up with the old school stuff..

If I want new design stuff, I would probably pick a Losi or AE for RWD buggy...

I might get a Losi XXX-T stadium truck, though...
Old 03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Grantothismo

p2k2racer:

How is your Viper? By your name I guess that you have a stocker in it - a P2K2 to be exact.

Any hop-ups?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Checkpointracer

I'll PM you.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Lunchboxer

No no, not mine.. I just download it online.. just want to make this thread contains as much info about The Frog as possible, that's all.. ha!!

Yeah, might need to order some of them CVD next time.. [:@]

That's it LB - Is that your sticker set? You get 30-50 for it on E-bay.

The CVD is worth it, just for the cool factor. I still put the rubber boot over mine. I am still looking for the CRP Front shock set - won't put it n my new one, but definately on my original.

The boot is the coolest thing. They are just starting to make cars with them again - Tamiya had them 20 years ago.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Lunchboxer

Right, but to me, it is like, either old school stuff (i.e., sentimental value) or high performance / new tech.. so to me, the Sand Viper kind of got caught in between.. it is not old, but not the newest either.. so.. not knocking on your car.. I think it is nice.. but everyone has a different collecting philosophy, you know!

Don't have to be a racer to enjoy the race worthy cars.. ha! Just like most people who own Porsche / Ferrari / etc. probably aren't great drivers.. (some are.. but.. majority have never taken their car to even a track day..)

ORIGINAL: p2k2racer

But those buggies are for racing. And you told me about a month ago that you're not very competitive..........
Old 03-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Checkpointracer

Alright I'll leave you alone.....BUT IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND JUST PM ME!!!!!!!!!!

Right, but to me, it is like, either old school stuff (i.e., sentimental value) or high performance / new tech.. so to me, the Sand Viper kind of got caught in between.. it is not old, but not the newest either.. so.. not knocking on your car.. I think it is nice.. but everyone has a different collecting philosophy, you know!

Don't have to be a racer to enjoy the race worthy cars.. ha! Just like most people who own Porsche / Ferrari / etc. probably aren't great drivers.. (some are.. but.. majority have never taken their car to even a track day..)

Old 03-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Lunchboxer

Why PM you?! Ha! If I were to buy one, I'd buy a new kit, though.. hee hee.. but maybe I will start a thread.. hee hee.. on how to build a Sand Viper..

Alright I'll leave you alone.....BUT IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND JUST PM ME!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Checkpointracer

Ah to let me know! I'm trying to start a RCU sand viper club here!

Why PM you?! Ha! If I were to buy one, I'd buy a new kit, though.. hee hee.. but maybe I will start a thread.. hee hee.. on how to build a Sand Viper..

Old 03-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Lunchboxer

Then you should start a thread about it and see if you can get enough traction...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.