Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Stampede motor given up after 3 months...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:25 AM
dickster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stampede motor given up after 3 months...

Hi guys,

My sons 3 month old Stampede motor has just given up - I had to put the Blackfoot Xtreme motor in there for now!!

Any ideas? Is this normal? The Xtreme has been going for 18 months plus!

Cheers

Rich
Old 04-09-2007, 06:18 AM
SavageX78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stampede motor given up after 3 months...

Was it the titan 12t motor?? Theyve had a bunch of people on the traxxas forums that had problems with them. In most cases traxxas just sent them a new motor. I would give traxxas a call, if it was the titan. Or you could get a 17 turn motor and forget about the titan.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:26 AM
dickster

Hi,

Yes, it is the Titan 12t motor, thanks I'll get in touch with them.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 AM
sloppyG

I burnt out my titan too, it was a good chance to upgrade to a faster motor!

traxxas warranty probaly only covers shipping back to you, you may be out as much $$$ to ship the bad motor to them as just buying a new motor
Old 04-09-2007, 10:23 AM
dickster

Yeah, I've ordered another (2nd motor in 2 days!), the only thing that concerns me with these upgraded motors is the maintenance as I am really not into that at all!

Old 04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
paperclip

there really is not a whole lot of maitnence involved except brushes, lathing the com and occasionally cleanig out which is not to bad if u ask me, unless you wanna go brushless.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
SavageX78

ORIGINAL: dickster

Yeah, I've ordered another (2nd motor in 2 days!), the only thing that concerns me with these upgraded motors is the maintenance as I am really not into that at all!

Yeah thats exactly why i went brushless. I got sick of spending more time doing maintanance than i was driving.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:44 PM
xbosnian1x

***, ok i think i saw somewhere that the xl-5 esc only can take 15 ??? turn motors and that the titan is 12 turn..not sure but i think.i have a stock rustler with a 20 turn motor and i bought it in December and havent had a problem since...i was going to get the xl-10 and the titan motor but i heard that they rip up the spur gears..With a 3300 mah battery pack...IS THIS TRUE????????
Old 04-10-2007, 01:07 AM
The_moose914

Xl-5 handle 550 motors down to 12t and 540 motors down to 15t........correct me if im wrong but pretty sure im right (i went brushless)
Old 04-10-2007, 06:16 AM
SavageX78

ORIGINAL: The_moose914

Xl-5 handle 550 motors down to 12t and 540 motors down to 15t........correct me if im wrong but pretty sure im right (i went brushless)

your rite.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:35 AM
dickster

I'll see how long we get from the new motors before they need rebuilding. If it is only a short time we'll go brushless in future if it means no maintenance!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 PM
xbosnian1x

yea just checked,u r right
Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 AM
paintstikker

Just a FYI, the blackfoot has a plain ol' silvercan. They are just about the hardest things to make go out, burn up, or anything.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:35 AM
JacksSpleen

I had my Titan 12T burn up on me in a little over a month. I sent it back to traxxas and they sent me a new one. I have it as a back up. From what I've seen it looks like a lot people have had problems with the titan 12t so it look like a common problem.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 AM
dickster

You're right, its still going strong!

I gave up on the idea of returning the 12t as I cannot see the point of putting another one in there!

ORIGINAL: paintstikker

Just a FYI, the blackfoot has a plain ol' silvercan. They are just about the hardest things to make go out, burn up, or anything.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:06 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine burnt up after about 10 runs! So i bought the Orion 17x2 off tower hobbies. Great motor, more power and a good bit faster. Use a 15 T pinion gear.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
rcplayer

how do you know if the motor is burnt out?

i ran 5 battery packs through my new stampede and it wont go fast anymore.

ive tried performance mode and racing mode, they both go as fast as 50% beginners mode. is my motor burnt out?

i did forget to turn the esc off one night so maybe its the esc?
Old 04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
grumpE
My Feedback: (6)

Almost the same boat as Luis1972. I picked up two of these at christmas at the LHS. One for the boy and one for me. Weather only allowed maybe 15 runs on ech until this week. One of them is running like a total dog and the other is still zipping right along. I mainly fly nitro and know basically nothing about electric. How can you tell if it is dead and can you re-build them or just throw in the towel and replace with better?

Thanks folks.

Eric
Old 04-13-2007, 07:38 AM
SavageX78

ORIGINAL: grumpE

Almost the same boat as Luis1972. I picked up two of these at christmas at the LHS. One for the boy and one for me. Weather only allowed maybe 15 runs on ech until this week. One of them is running like a total dog and the other is still zipping right along. I mainly fly nitro and know basically nothing about electric. How can you tell if it is dead and can you re-build them or just throw in the towel and replace with better?

Thanks folks.

Eric

well they cant be rebuilt. From what ive seen over at traxxas most of the time the problem is either a hung brush or a broken wire inside the motor. Its almost pointless to get it replace cause the replacement might or might not have the same problem.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:41 AM
SavageX78

If you have a 15 turn or higher motor kicking around try it and see if the problem goes away. I dont think the esc would cause this. Also have you a different battery pack?
ORIGINAL: Luis1972

how do you know if the motor is burnt out?

i ran 5 battery packs through my new stampede and it wont go fast anymore.

ive tried performance mode and racing mode, they both go as fast as 50% beginners mode. is my motor burnt out?

i did forget to turn the esc off one night so maybe its the esc?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:58 AM
rcplayer

im using 3300 mah battery packs. the motor is the stock titan. i called traxxas and theyre sending me another one. they told me to break it in this way:

to put the profile on beginner (where its 50% power forward and reverse, with full brakes) and run two battery packs through it so the brushes can be broken evenly,.

something like that
Old 04-13-2007, 10:25 PM
stockerbrian

Sounds like a hung up brush to me. I had this type of fun with all brushed motors where I live, FL, the dirt/sand here is like running the motor through a sandblaster, gets in everything. Only thing is to clean the motor with good electronic contact cleaner, use a slim tool to move the brushes in and out (if you can, I don't have a titan motor to reference) relube the bushings and hope for the best. But a can of contact cleaner is 6$ so I'd have traxxas ante up with their warranty, buy a 19t brushed motor or go brushless.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:52 PM
rcplayer

stockerbrian i will try that. if and when this titan motor goes bad what is a good 19t motor to buy? something reliable and durable. i dont care about speed that much i just want something that will last.

thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 01:53 AM
dickster

Well, that advice is b*llsh*t because I bought it for that reason for my 3 year old son and ran it at 50% for ages.

I have ordered a couple of motors from TH but in the meantime I got a couple of E-Maxx motors off ebay cheap - they look the same as the 12T? I mean in every respect apart from the sticker.

ORIGINAL: Luis1972

im using 3300 mah battery packs. the motor is the stock titan. i called traxxas and theyre sending me another one. they told me to break it in this way:

to put the profile on beginner (where its 50% power forward and reverse, with full brakes) and run two battery packs through it so the brushes can be broken evenly,.

something like that
Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Sproctor61

Yea just got my first RC here, and the motor died last night. Only had it about a month. Called Traxis and they are going to send me another one for free, so I am happy with thier costumer service so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.