Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need help in selecting a fast 1/10 4WD car

Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 AM
ericss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help in selecting a fast 1/10 4WD car

Hello,

I would like to get your advice on selecting a fast 1/10 4WD car (on road or off road), on a limited budget of around $150, which shall include adding ball bearing and/or new motor.

I have a Stampede, Evader, and Tamiya Baja King. But they are not fast. I would like to get a kit as I like to build it. I searched already and found that the TT-01 seems to be a good choice. Following are what I find seems to fit my limited budget:

Tamiya 4WD High Perform Mercedes-Benz CLK-DTM Kit $95
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...p?&I=LXGMS1&P=7

Tamiya Audi A4 DTM 2005 TT-01 Finished Body Kit $105
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...p?&I=LXLKY9&P=7

Tamiya Enzo Ferrari TT-01 Kit $90
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...?&I=LXDYC4&P=ML

Please let me know if you have any experience on these cars. OR let me know if you know there are better choices. Thanks in advance.

Eric
Old 04-09-2007, 11:16 AM
DLS II

Default RE: Need help in selecting a fast 1/10 4WD car

I think a TA-05 is a better choice. I've delt with both Tower and Ultimate Hobbies-both good. Ultimate has the # 58375 Mobil 1 SC (TA-05) for 134.95. Check it out. Don
Old 04-09-2007, 07:13 PM
andrew222

I agree. Ta05. Best bang for your buck. Almost as fast as a trf415 but costs a fraction of the price.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:42 PM
annie_himself

Just upgrade the 'Vader.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 PM
ericss

DLS II, andrew222,
Thank both of you. It is really eye-opening, I did not know Tamiya has belt driven 4WD.
Ultimate Hobbies is $25 cheaper than Tower, but no stock.
BTW, what budget ESC would you recommend? The futaba MC230CR is $45 but support only 20+T.

annie himself,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I think I could upgrade the Evader for my sons. What would you recommend to upgrade? I hope to limit the upgrade to $50, if that is possible.

Eric
Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 PM
ericss

Any one tried the www.rcmart.com?

I found it is only $109 from rcmart. Price too low?! Here is the link:
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...d464ef39dac8c8

Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:53 PM
rcxboy

rcmart is a great store, but i would avoid buying whole kits from there if you live in the US. I bought my DI from them, but that's because there isn't any good online stores where i live.

It'll be about $30 shipping for that. Just buy it from tower and use a coupon. Look on their main page, i think there's $15 off $150 or more, $20 off $175 or more.

You could also try these, but they might only work for people not in the US. better deals though.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Raguvian

ORIGINAL: ericss

Any one tried the www.rcmart.com?

I found it is only $109 from rcmart. Price too low?! Here is the link:
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...d464ef39dac8c8

Thanks again.
That's a good deal, but the only thing is that the TT-01's come with ESC's. Stock though, neither is fast, and if you want to upgrade, you'll need a new ESC anyways.
TA05 comes with full ballbearings, which is $20 extra for TT-01's so it's a better deal if you're upgrading the motor. And you don't have to buy a new driveshaft either, like you do for the TT-01.
But TT-01's with 12T motors are fast, just regear it lower and you'll be having a blast.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:49 AM
ericss

rcxboy,
You made a good point. Thanks.

Raguvian,
In that case, would you think getting a cheap TT-01 (with ESC) and change the motor and bearing is a good deal?

Again, thanks every body for the suggestion.

Eric
Old 04-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Raguvian

rcxboy,
You made a good point. Thanks.

Raguvian,
In that case, would you think getting a cheap TT-01 (with ESC) and change the motor and bearing is a good deal?

Again, thanks every body for the suggestion.

Eric
If you're going to upgrade the motor, you're going to need a new ESC anyways.
Ballbearings plus aluminum driveshaft is about $25, in which case you'd be better off buying the TA05 and saving some money and buying a better car overall.
If you're going to keep the stock silvercan, then get the TT-01 and get the ESC with it. But stock, it's not fast at all.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:06 PM
thaphillips

Shipping a kit from Hong Kong (rc mart) is going to cost around $40

TA05 is far superior to the TT01
Old 04-10-2007, 02:38 PM
andrew222

I was being a cheapstake when I got my first RC, a TT01. Don't do what I did. In this hobby your going to want more and more and more and more. Do yourself a favor and saveup a bit more. SERIOUSLY. If you don't have a charger already, get one thats lipo compatable. Get buy a esc with no turn limit...better yet buy a brushless esc, which can run brushed motors aswell and also give them a boost in power. Just set yourself up so that you don't have to buy additional equipment when your ready for an upgrade. One last thing. GET THE TA05 DAMNIT
Old 04-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Raguvian

ORIGINAL: andrew222

I was being a cheapstake when I got my first RC, a TT01. Don't do what I did. In this hobby your going to want more and more and more and more. Do yourself a favor and saveup a bit more. SERIOUSLY. If you don't have a charger already, get one thats lipo compatable. Get buy a esc with no turn limit...better yet buy a brushless esc, which can run brushed motors aswell and also give them a boost in power. Just set yourself up so that you don't have to buy additional equipment when your ready for an upgrade. One last thing. GET THE TA05 DAMNIT
He has a $150 limit.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 PM
ericss

Thank you all for the suggestions. Maybe I need to get approval from my real boss for $50 more budget.

Sorry, some more questiions that need your suggestion:

1. Basically I want a platform (the car) that is upgradable but still decent when it is stock. (asking for too much ). So I think I would choose the TA-05 with a hope that I can upgrade the motor later. In this case, I need to get a bargain ESC, which could support lower turn motor. I have been on and off in RC car for more than 25 years. My old futaba 230 ESC is still working fine. But I think there should be something better out there. So please recommend some bargain ESC on your spare time.

2. Is there buggy that run on TA-05? (Yes, I am going to check myself also). The place I run my cars is not that 100% smooth. So a buggy might fit the bill better. But I am afraid that the buggy is not as fast as the on-road, given the same motor and battery.

Again, thank you all for the help.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 PM
rcxboy

1. Just use your old ESC if it still works fine and you have no other use for it... i still have my MC112b in use..

2. You might want to look at the DF-03 chassis for a good buggy in that price range...
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 PM
DLS II

You might go back to Ultimate Hobbies- they have a TA-05 base car in stock. I think it's within $5 of that Mobil 1. Also Duratrax has a line of speed controls at good prices. Don
Old 04-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Raguvian

If you want a buggy, get the Dark Impact (DF03) that was already suggested. Usually offroad vehicles are shaft drive and not belt drive, so you won't find anything based on the TA05.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:54 AM
ericss

rcxboy, DLS II, Raguvian,

Thanks. I will check more closely myself. Another three dump questions:

1. How does the Dark Impact compare to say, Baja King. If I have the Baja King upgraded with all ball bearing and oil shock, will it perform similar to the Dark Impact?

2. How does the speed of Mobile 1 compare to Dark Impact? I would like to get a buggy if possible, but speed is also important. I know there is no free lunch. Just want to get a feel of the different in speed.

3. To me, belt drive seems quiet than shaft drive and waste less energy. However, I don't think changing to alumimium help a lot as the rotational energy of the shaft is much much less than that of the wheels. Am I thinking right?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 04-11-2007, 07:10 AM
rcxboy

1. The DI has a superior suspension setup and drivetrain to the Baja King, i'd guess it would handle a lot better... I have never seen a Baja King, but i doubt it will perform as good as a DI, especially on the track. The DI has pretty good tires too.

2. Mobile 1? I assume you mean an onroad car of some sort. The onroad will be a bit faster, but not much, i would think. But with an onroad you've got a hugely decreased range of places to run.... You can always get a faster motor anyway.

3. Belt is more efficient and effective than shaft, for sure, but more expensive. Aluminium driveshaft is needed for the TT01 because the stock part is weak and ineffective, or so i've heard.. i don't think it has anything to do with rotating mass.. Ball bearings are pretty important, numero uno on the hopup list for sure.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:05 PM
ericss

rcxboy,
Thanks. You did answer my dumb questions, right to the point.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 PM
blazew0n

I just got my Ta05 from Ultimate Hobbies last week. The Arta NSX version. Gonna start putting it together this week. Ultimate Hobbies has great prices and fast shipping. They will send you a tracking # also as long as you email them for it. Got mine for $30 cheaper than the other online hobby shops. Highly recommend them.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:13 AM
thaphillips

Ultimate Hobbies will be updating their website tonight to include the Tamiya TA05-R for $219 shipped.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:29 AM
thaphillips

rcxboy, DLS II, Raguvian,

Thanks. I will check more closely myself. Another three dump questions:

1. How does the Dark Impact compare to say, Baja King. If I have the Baja King upgraded with all ball bearing and oil shock, will it perform similar to the Dark Impact?

2. How does the speed of Mobile 1 compare to Dark Impact? I would like to get a buggy if possible, but speed is also important. I know there is no free lunch. Just want to get a feel of the different in speed.

3. To me, belt drive seems quiet than shaft drive and waste less energy. However, I don't think changing to alumimium help a lot as the rotational energy of the shaft is much much less than that of the wheels. Am I thinking right?

Thanks,

Eric

1 - There is no comparison. The Dark Impact is hands down better than the baja king. The Dark Impact is a good buggy for the price. Not the best 4wd off road buggy, but the best cost $300+. If you are racing it can be difficult to find a 4wd class as most electric offroad is 2wd.

2 - The Mobile 1 you are talking about is probably a Tamiya TA05 with a Mobile 1 shell. Comparing the TA05 to the Dark Impact isn't a good comparison. It's apples and oranges. However, the TA05 will be a very competitive car for racing 4wd sedan, right out of the box. You will need a motor and esc before you race though. Speed depends on the motor.

3 - Most on-road cars these days are going toward belts because of torque steer. In off-road the high dollar 4wd use belts, they are also alot of work to maintain. Will torque steer in off road shaft become prevelant with the new brushless motors? I don't know. I would personally choose a shaft drive in off-road because I prefer to spend my time driving over wrenching.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:50 PM
ericss

blazew0n,
Thanks for the info. Please let me know how does it work out. Show us some pictures if you would.

thaphillips,
Thanks for the insight. I will check the Ultimate Hobbies again.
BTW, how much ground clearance does the TA-05 has?
I see that you have all brushless setup. Would you recommend a cost effective bundle for the TA-05 and the Dark Impact.
(I am not into race, I just enjoy driving the car, so I don't need extreme performance).

Thank you
Eric
Old 04-13-2007, 12:20 AM
thaphillips

Here is the cheapest quality combo.

If you are not racing the Mamba Max from BPP is the best ESC at $113
http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=40

Nemesis Blue 540 S - $50
7S For Onroad
8S For Onroad/Offroad
9S For Offroad
http://www.finedesignrc.com/motorsnemesisblue.asp

(Don't be alarmed iF the sticker on it says Nemesis or Wanderer or Feiago......... they are all the same motor.)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

If you are racing Novak is the only 100% option right now. The SS Pro series is the best choice. $260 - $265
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=CKE

However the Novak is sensored.I personally don't like sensored.

Tekin will have a new brushless setup out in about a month. Tekin sent one to some guy at my track to test. He seemed to like it. It's a sensorless and Tekin is pushing to make it's motors ROAR legal. I am crossing my finger that the tekin gets roar legal. Tekin always had good products in the past! All ESC's are legal, so it's only the motor to worry about.

It's the R1 Series - $245 to $330
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...M1102&C=CKETEK

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the ultimate in bashing or laxed rules racing.

Mamba Max ESC $113
http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=40

Neu Motors
http://www.neumotors.com/20061222/11...es%20data.html
1110/1.5D - For On Road $139
1112/1.5D - For Off Road $159

Be sure to check the motor length on the NEU's to make sure it will fit your vehicle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.