Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Novak ESC Help.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:09 PM
y7deluxe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novak ESC Help.

I called Novak over the phone and they walked me through setting up my Reversible 12t Rooster ESC since I was having problems with it (they walked me through the same things I had already done). The problem I was having was that after setting it up, if it was in its fwd/brake/rev profile setting, the brakes wouldn't work. When I hit the brakes(while the car was rolling forward 5-10mph), it would just instantly nail it into reverse. When I changed the profile over to fwd/brake it would then work just fine and have forward and brakes (no reverse). Anyhow, Novak told me the product was defective and asked me to send it back in. Well I just recently bought a used Novak Super Rooster ESC and it's giving me the same problems...

With two totally different speed controls doing this, I wonder where the problem exists. The new speed control was on a second car. I used the same battery and the same receiver/transmitter.

Also, one last piece of information. The Reversible 12t Rooster speed control replaced my old DYN4925 Dynamite 4925 Tazer 15T ESC. The Tazer 15t worked perfectly fine with fwd/brake/reverse

Surely I don't have two defective ESCs when NOVAK tech support has never heard of this issue before. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Mark_M

Default RE: Novak ESC Help.

what tx/rx are you using?
Old 05-05-2007, 07:45 AM
doox

guy at the track here was having the same problem the other day, different model novak though, its brand new also.. can't recall what one it was.. was about 60 dollars I think he said.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:11 AM
y7deluxe

I am using an Airtronics M11 with an Airtronics 92836 FM 75mhz super micro receiver. I also run this exact same setup in my HPI Savage, FG MT5, Serpent 950r and in my Kyosho MP-6 International... never had any problems. Also, if I put the Tazer 15t ESC back in, it works fine with fwd/brake/rev.

EDIT: The only difference that there is mechanically when I hook up the Tazer 15t ESC, is that it has plugs between the motor and the ESC, where the other two ESCs are soldered directly to the motor.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:58 PM
y7deluxe

anybody???
Old 05-05-2007, 11:21 PM
y7deluxe

I was also thinking that my Tazer ESC was setup under a different receiver/transmitter and the settings just happened to work out with my transmitter/receiver. So maybe it's my transmitter/receiver combo. I will borrow my friends transmitter/receiver and try it out and see if it helps at all.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:22 AM
y7deluxe

I hooked up my helicopter transmitter/receiver instead of waiting on my friends transmitter/receiver. It had the same problem, no brakes when fwd/brakes/rev profile was on. I then tried a NICD battery, just in case it didn't like the LIPO battery. Neither of the two attempts made any difference. I guess I am just that guy who has the type of luck that gets Novak to say that they have never heard of anything like it before. Oh well, thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Novak2

ORIGINAL: y7deluxe

I hooked up my helicopter transmitter/receiver instead of waiting on my friends transmitter/receiver. It had the same problem, no brakes when fwd/brakes/rev profile was on. I then tried a NICD battery, just in case it didn't like the LIPO battery. Neither of the two attempts made any difference. I guess I am just that guy who has the type of luck that gets Novak to say that they have never heard of anything like it before. Oh well, thanks for the help.
I would suggest that you send an updated e-mail to [email protected] explaining your further efforts.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:42 PM
y7deluxe

I've spoken to Steve on the phone and I'm e-mailing Charlie. Steve's conclusion was to send it in. I'm still talking with Charlie on what he thinks. I'll update you when I hear back. Thanks for the help.