Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

maxamps

Old 08-26-2007, 04:17 PM
hurricane-fibers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: maxamps

Here are some pics so you can see they shorted out right at the cell.

Just in case they dont work for some people here are the links to the pics.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=100_0711.jpg
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=100_0710.jpg
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=100_0709.jpg
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=100_0708.jpg
Old 08-26-2007, 05:14 PM
BackFilp 360

[X(][X(] wow
Old 08-26-2007, 05:22 PM
J-Cube

Wow indeed! How did that happen? Does anyone here know why that would happen? I don't want to order from Max Amps next summer (when I go brushless ) only to have an expensive battery do the same to me! What charger did you use? Did you balance your cells? What was the current when you did charge it? Could you have just over discharged it or do you have low voltage cut-off enabled in your boat? I definitely don't want that to ever happen to me! The only LiPo I use (in my heli) has never had any trouble and I've always balance charged it and I bought an LGG-1 from Tech Model Products to ensure I never go below 3V per cell.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:27 PM
hurricane-fibers

Trust me I have a low cut off and everything I never even let it hit that I have a brand new triton charger I use.
lets put it this way I use a Thunderpower 11.1 2070 mah and its only rated for 53 amps an i have run this lipo probly close to 40 times with no problems.
An max amps lipo's is supose to handle over 100 amps
and after first test with them the volts were 12.02 volts
second test they were 11.86 volts
only ran the rigger for testing so much power the first time I had to bring it back in and put a smaller prop on it was running a 32 mil put a 27 should be running a 40 mil for this motor.(was way to fast for the size of pond I was running it in)
so thats why I never even got to fully run the lipos.
the second time it gliched a few times and I thought there was something wrong with my esc or receiver.
the third time when the cells quit it gliched again and I was not able to get it back to shore.
So I know I never over discharged them or let them get to low.
I have been building lipo packs for many years and have never had any thing like this happen.
Thats why I thought it was a fluke till I seen that all 3 cells were the same.
I have no idea what I am going to do with the new cells I won't use them thats for sure I guess I got ANOTHER $200 paper weight.

Also if I over discharged them they would have puffed up or something like that I have had lipo's do this from over discharge.
and if you look at the copper tabs if I did run to many amps through them they would be discolored and they are not.
you can see on the tabs were the copper is joined to the nickel its all discolored and this is were the tabs fell off at right were they are joined.
Also I can't figure out why just the positive tabs did this and why the negative one's didn't.

Here is two more pics.
As you can see on the tabs the little X's the nickel is still there the rest that go's into the cell just disinagrated
All the tape that they put on it there was burned off around the positive tabs.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:02 PM
J-Cube

I'm perplexed. I don't think i should buy from Max Amps. [&:]
Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Turboprop130

I just got thru running my maxamps 6000 7.4V with my Novak GTB & 3.5 motor. The highest temp I recorded from the pack was 114 degrees, meanwhile the motor was 154 and the esc was 183. And that was running it non-stop at almost full throttle. I just bought a trinity team IB 4200 pack and I'll never buy one again. I ran it once and it melted though the bottom of the pack and one of the cell's actually split open and was leaking. I will post a pic. I have come to hate all EPIC brand cells. I'm sticking with lipos from now on.

This IB 4200 pack was junk. This was the first time I ran this pack.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95398.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	567.7 KB
ID:	750371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58758.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	529.7 KB
ID:	750372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25495.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	580.3 KB
ID:	750373  
Old 08-26-2007, 08:50 PM
BackFilp 360

maxamps is a good company the prices are a little less than everyone else and they have great customer service and they make custom packs i own a 4000 3s and a 5000 2s and coming next is a 6000 3s dont let other peoples experince stray you away that is the only pack ive seen short
Old 08-26-2007, 11:44 PM
JAM MaxAmps

Interesting, I happen to be out here in Spokane and will check into this.

Jason
MaxAmps
[email protected]
www.maxamps.com
Old 08-27-2007, 12:19 AM
NitroNuisance

ORIGINAL: BackFilp 360

ok guys i got my 5000 2s but they sent me a stupid vxl pack witch wont fit so im sending it back to get my rightful pack thats why i wonder if they do still have side taps
I did finelly get my pack after about a month and one of the cells wasn't showing up on the charger or with a volt meter. I called, they sent me a new one and it came 2 days later. They said not to worry about sending the other one back. The first pack had the tap coming out of the side and the second one had the tap pointing up. So you can get them either way. Allthough they never asked me they just sent them that way? Anyway I opened up the first pack after I found out I didn't have to send it back and there was a whire inside for the charging tap that was loose. I fixed it and now I have 2-3s 5000hv 20c batterys that are crazy fast for $130.. Needless to say I'm not complaining anymore.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:24 AM
NitroNuisance

I was upset about them telling me twice it allready shipped out when in fact it didn't, also taking a month to get it. But After I called with the problem with the first one, they were good to me. Like I said I really can't complain after getting a free $130. battery after fixing the first one.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:40 AM
hurricane-fibers

Ok for some of the people out there that don't know how a pack is put together I will explain how it all works.

Ok to start with cell 1 the positive is your main positive power and the neg from cell 1 is soldered to the positive of cell 2 and the neg of cell 2 is soldered to the positive of cell 3
and the neg of cell 3 is your main negative.
So with all the cell's together this is what they would look like.
Were the | is this is your positive and negative wires that would come out of the pack.

(main positive wire)
|
+ (cell 1) -
- (cell 2) +
+ (cell 3) -
________ | (this go's to the - of cell 3)
_________(main negative wire)

Now why would just the positive tabs be the only one's effected and not the negative one's (this could be caused by a bad connection in the tabs that go into the cells)
When 2 of the 3 positive tabs are soldered to the negatives?
easy way to look at it would be how the batteries in your radio are the positive of one cell go's to the negative of the next cell and so on.
the is how the volts go from a 1.5 to 12 volts in your radio they run in series if you were to put them all positive's and negative's together you would only have a 1.5 volt but the mah would be times 8 of
what one cell is so if you had cell's that were 700 mah each then you would end up with still only 1.5 volts but 5600 mah by useing eight cells.

If there is any one that doesn't understand what I am tring to say please let me know and I will help explain it better if I can.

Hurricane
(Bill Hayward)
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 AM
austinelse
My Feedback: (1)

Did you build this pack yourself? We do not put the foam on the cells like these cells have here? They look like our cells but we did not build this pack from the looks of it.

-Austin
CEO MaxAmps.com
Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 AM
austinelse
My Feedback: (1)

Bill,

This is one of the reasons why we prefer you order pre-buit packs from us instead of you trying to build them yourself. It looks like you may have soldered too close to the seal on the tab and that may have melted the seal. We would have warrantied the pack if MaxAmps would have built it. I think you need to explain to everyone here that YOU BUILT THIS PACK. Not MaxAmps.

-Austin
CEO MaxAmps.com
Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 AM
hurricane-fibers

I do state in my posts that they are loose cells.
I even give your details about the cells in one of my posts.
An as for soldering to close to the cell you can see in the pics the solder is right on the end of the tabs.
But look at the joint and were the tabs go into the cell and its clear as day were the problem was.
also why would one of them burn off the covering of the cell ?
An once again why was it just the positive tabs and not the negative ones ?
An just so eveyone knows I BULIT THIS PACK
I also state I have been building packs for years in another one of my posts.

When I called about what had happend I even said to the gent I was talking to not to worry about a warranty.
I even said to him hey ---- happens and laughed about it.
I never acspected you guys to warranty the cell but when I took all the covering off and looked at the cells and seen that all three cell did this.
that points me to belive there is really something wrong with the tabs for all the cells to do this.
If there is anything else you would like to know then ask away and I will answer.

Bill
Old 08-27-2007, 11:54 AM
hurricane-fibers

Ok just got the new cells today.
The tabs on them are a little bit different.
the nickel is folded out and over the edge of the cell the old one's I had came straight out of the cell.
here is a few pics to show what they look like.

maybe I will give these guys a try and hope for the best.
I will be putting the pack together tonight when I get home from work and testing it in the next few days.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 AM
NitroNuisance

ORIGINAL: hurricane-fibers

Here are some pics so you can see they shorted out right at the cell.

Just in case they dont work for some people here are the links to the pics.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=100_0711.jpg
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=100_0710.jpg
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=100_0709.jpg
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=100_0708.jpg
Did they get wet?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 AM
hurricane-fibers

No they did not get wet.
Or warm for that matter.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:24 AM
hurricane-fibers

Quote from Auston===
This is one of the reasons why we prefer you order pre-buit packs from us instead of you trying to build them yourself. It looks like you may have soldered too close to the seal on the tab and that may have melted the seal. We would have warrantied the pack if MaxAmps would have built it. I think you need to explain to everyone here that YOU BUILT THIS PACK. Not MaxAmps.

Quote from Jason===
It's real simple, what this all breaks down to is that your putting to much heat to the tab to close to the cell. If your going to continue making your own packs I would suggest placing a heat sink in the form of a forcep (sorry if spelled wrong) across the tab so that you are only soldering the end of the tabs together. This will take the heat into the forcep and not the seal where the tab enters the cell. Like I stated this is only a suggestion, but it has worked for me in the past.

First of all what would the seals have to do with the tabs disinagrating?
Also I soldered just the ends of the tabs the solder you see on the tabs now is from me takeing the wires off.

Ok well to start with, what this boils down to is that you can't admit it when you have a defective product.
It is plane as day to see where the problem with the cells is.
Any body can see it in the pics I posted.
I sure as hell can tell you I never put to much heat to the tabs.
If I did put to much heat to the cells then why is the burn marks inside the cell and why would the nickel tabs just disintegrate?
Do you know what kind of heat it takes to melt nickel (1453 C) thats what it takes to melt it.
Now the melting point of copper is (1083 C) so don't hand me this ----- that I had to much heat from a soldering iron and thats what made them breakdown.
Now there is no way in hell I can get that kind of heat from a 30 to 60 watt soldering iron
A 30 to 60 watt soldering iron produces max around (426.66 C) and that would be a real good one not a cheapy.
You should know more and understand a bit more about metals befor you jump the gun and say what did it.
Hey heres something for you to try, lets see you make a cell do the same thing as what happend to my cells I bet you can't do it with a 30 to 60 watt soldering iron.
If you can then I will eat my words I want to see a video to prove it.

But I guess I don't know how to solder anything, or know what I am doing.
But I work for Ontario Hydro nuclear powerplant making there sensors and monitoring boards witch I solder all day long and I have never had one fail yet.
I deal with sensors and amps that go from 2 amps to over 2000 so I think I know a little about soldering and what would cause the breakdown of the tabs or any sodering joints for that matter.
I also run my own business and have for over 16 years and let me tell you I would never try to find ways to blame the customer that they did something wrong.
I would do some checking and also testing to try and find the problem first, insted of well you did this and you did that and so on.

Hurricane
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 AM
JAM MaxAmps

You chose to purchase loose cells and make them into full packs yourself. In doing so you take full responsibility for how that pack is constucted and how it performs. We can not be held accountable for any problems that may occur when an individual purchases and decides to try and make their own packs. Our in shop welding system has welded thousands of packs with no trouble and has proven that it is by far the best way to weld the tabs together at this time. You can sit and bad mouth us all you want and say how you work here and do this until your blue in the face. It still, no matter what you do or say comes down to............................

You made this pack yourself and you are the only one who has had this problem. Which means "your" welding system has failed. And with all of the other posts from others here, it's safe to say that everyone agrees with us.

We Cannot Warranty the loose cells. When loose cells are purchased the buyer takes full responsibility at the time of purchase.

If you'd like feel free to sign up at MaxAmps.com and purchase our packs already made. They all come with a 30 day return policy and a 3yr/300 cycle warranty can also be purchased. This way you'll know the pack was made right from the start.

Case Closed

Jason
Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 AM
brushlessboy16

if you wire 2 2cell packs in series will i get double the amps???

cuz i was looking at 2cell packs that were rated at 62amps, i need 100+ amps to run on my future mm esc.

plz help me out
Old 08-30-2007, 11:16 AM
hurricane-fibers

Hey i never bad mouthed you at all.
An I was not looking for you to warranty the cells, its just that its pretty bad that when there is a problem and you can't even
step up and admit or try to fix the problem or find out what is wrong.
But because 1 in thousands fails its automatically the persons fault.
Thats a nice way of looking at it.
Haven't you ever bought something and it never worked ?
No thats never happend if it did I guess thats because you did something it , theres no such thing as a faulty product right.
Anyways I got 3 more cells and built another pack, I think that shows I was not worried about your damn warranty.
Not once did I ever ask you to warranty the cells.
I was just letting you guys know and others what happend, but you right from the start said it was all my fault that it happend.
Insted of trying to find the problem.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:18 AM
cen123

what would be a faster pack a 4000 3s LIPO or a 8000 2s LIPO
Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 AM
cen123

Could I request if maxamps is reading this if they could make a 3s 12,000mah battery, I notice they have a 2s and I would be interested in buying a 3s
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Old Sloppy

Stick to that x427 prop...

To keeps your temps in line.

Harry S.