Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

MRC Thunder & Brushless Baja King (w/Pics)

Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 AM
john01374

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MRC Thunder & Brushless Baja King (w/Pics)

Here ya go guys, a little something different. Here are a couple of pics of my MRC Baja and Thunder king. The Thunder king is pretty stock except for a couple of mod motors. It’s a recent Ebay find and in pretty good condition overall. I bought it for parts but when I saw how nice it actually is I’m having a hard time getting myself to take it apart. The Baja is another story. Currently running thunder king tires it has an HV-Maxx 4400 on 14.4 volts. This thing ready to run weights in at 14 lbs. I’ve had the truck together and running for about 6 months now but babied it for the first few months until I found a spare “parts” truck. I’ve been beating on it pretty hard the last month or so and nothing has broke. These things we’re so over built I doubt I’ll ever break anything J The pics aren’t the best. I’ll post better ones later tonight..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80707.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	752432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57131.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	752433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57783.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	752434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm27968.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	752435  
Old 08-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MRC Thunder & Brushless Baja King (w/Pics)

Wow! That thing is huge compared to the rustler. How long is it exactly?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:07 PM
john01374

I'm not real sure right off hand but i'll measure it when I get home tonight. I will say this, The thunder king body is about 3 inches longer that the Baja pictured. you should see it next to an old Ghopper. The body of this thing will completely cover a Ghopper wheels and all. Funny thing is the HV-maxx pushes it around like it weights nothing. I'm going to do a couple of speed runs tomorrow. I'm guessing somewhere in the mid to high 30mph range.

J
Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: john01374

I'm not real sure right off hand but i'll measure it when I get home tonight. I will say this, The thunder king body is about 3 inches longer that the Baja pictured. you should see it next to an old Ghopper. The body of this thing will completely cover a Ghopper wheels and all. Funny thing is the HV-maxx pushes it around like it weights nothing. I'm going to do a couple of speed runs tomorrow. I'm guessing somewhere in the mid to high 30mph range.

J
I would be terrified to put a brushless system in there because of the fact that its alot easier to crash at higher speeds and the tranny is taking a beating. Isnt it hard to find parts for it?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 PM
john01374

Actually this is very easy to drive at high speed because it is so long and wide. It's actually pretty low as well. It's alot easier to drive than the Mamba powered Rusty pictured with it. Parts are not too bad yet. When I got this truck it was in really good shape and it came with another almost complete truck for parts. I do buy up used trucks when I see them on Ebay. these aren't very popular so they sell for $40 or $50 tops. The blue thunder King in the first pic was an Ebay find. the seller didn't bother cleaning it up and I won the auction for under $40 shipped. The pics looked really bad but once I got the truck and spent 5 mins cleaning it up it looked pretty good. When I first started this project I took the gear box apart just to see if it would take the abuse of a brushless motor. I was happy to find all steel gears and the largest ball diff I've ever seen. These are about the most over built trucks I have seen. The camber and steering links belong on a 1/5 scale car. All the suspension pins, screms etc are huge.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:06 AM
john01374

Takedown - - To answer your question the silver Baja pictured is just a hair under 22inches longs. The Blue Thunder king in the first pic is 24 1/4 inches long. The chassis are exactly the same but the thunder body has a long bed.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM
skidooguymxz550

i love the hv maxx system, ive used it in cars, boats, stadiumtruacks, a stampede, and now it's going to power my sandrail. great thing about the hv is you can gear it to te moon and it won't care

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84171.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	753089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37105.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	753090  
Old 08-30-2007, 01:14 PM
john01374

skidooguymxz550 - I have to agree on the HV Maxx. I too had it in a Pede for a while and it was totally uncontrollable so I put it in a old bandit that was set up for onroad and that was fun for a while then the Baja champ came along. I ran the truck again today and i'm still surprised at how fast it actually is. I'm goona run it againist my MM5700 rusty on 8.4V. I have a feeling it might be just as fast.