Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
 Will this motor/speed control work for a 1/8th scale conv? >

Will this motor/speed control work for a 1/8th scale conv?

Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Will this motor/speed control work for a 1/8th scale conv?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this motor/speed control work for a 1/8th scale conv?

Hey guys this 1/8 scale convertion bug has bit me...I already have a Hacker B50-14L and a Jeti Master 70-3 speed controller sitting around not being used...and a spare 1/8th scale roller...could I throw the 2 together with a few parts from rc-monster??
Old 10-25-2007, 06:15 AM

Default RE: Will this motor/speed control work for a 1/8th scale conv?

I'm very much into 1/8 conversions. I've never heard of anyone using that motor or controller. If the "70" in the 70-3 refers to amps, then there's no way that controller will work. I think that Hacker is too small too, but I'm not totally sure. Nobody uses Hacker anymore. At least not around here.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:48 AM

Thats a shame...yeah that is a 70a controller...and the motor has a 6mm shaft and turns 1725rpm/v...I wonder what I could use it for...
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: happywing

I'm very much into 1/8 conversions. I've never heard of anyone using that motor or controller. If the "70" in the 70-3 refers to amps, then there's no way that controller will work. I think that Hacker is too small too, but I'm not totally sure. Nobody uses Hacker anymore. At least not around here.
What do you mean nobody uses hacker anymore? I know a few people that do. There great motors but there are much better motors made for the same price such as Neu, Lehner, Plettenberg...
Old 10-25-2007, 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: DeadSticker

Thats a shame...yeah that is a 70a controller...and the motor has a 6mm shaft and turns 1725rpm/v...I wonder what I could use it for...
An airplane
Old 10-25-2007, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

ORIGINAL: DeadSticker

An airplane
lol...I do have planes too, but nothing that big...I sold off my scale stuff (2 40% cardens)...too nerve wrecking to fly. Now I fly 400 size profiles and smaller helis...but racin my 1/8th scales is my main thing...I havent even touched any of my planes or helis in about 4 months. hmmm...maybe a 2wd 1/8th...lol
Old 10-25-2007, 12:15 PM

What 1/8th scale is it? A buggy or truck? Either way the 1700 kv motor seems like an ok rpm range to me, though you'll want a little bit higher voltage or gearing to get speed out of it. The 70a ESc though might get a hot from constant acceleration and especially braking but it will run it. You want 100-125 amp ESC like the BK series or Mamba Max, and run it on 3-4s lipo or at least 10-14 cells Nimh.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Takedown

ORIGINAL: happywing
What do you mean nobody uses hacker anymore? I know a few people that do. There great motors but there are much better motors made for the same price such as Neu, Lehner, Plettenberg...
I did qualify by saying "at least not around here." Truth is, the Hacker has fallen out of favor. We have a lot of conversions around here. We expect 13-16 buggies and 6-8 truggies for the coming indoor season. Not one Hacker in the bunch.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:38 PM

let me guess... feigao's, neu's, and lehner's.... with maybe one pletty tossed in.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

What 1/8th scale is it?
Its my old hyper 7 that i used to race before I got my TTR EB4 S3...I could try it...the worse thing that could happen is It wont work lol...
Old 10-25-2007, 05:51 PM

it will be hard to find pinions, but you might be able to get a 5mm pinion and drill out the center with a nice drill press and bit. (any machine shop will have this)
Old 10-25-2007, 08:36 PM

ORIGINAL: pvt_pile
let me guess... feigao's, neu's, and lehner's.... with maybe one pletty tossed in.
That's not a guess. Yup, you got it.
The Neu's are really starting to take over.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

i could see it working as long as you keep it a high voltage setup. this will decrease the amps drawn from the motor. also, i'm using a 6mm motor in my maxx and i simply set the thotle trim to run the motor while in a clamp and ran my dremel up and down the shaft until i got it to 5mm. using mod1 gears though you should be able to find a pinion. i know of a site that has them, but i don't have the link right now. just do a search for gears and you should come up with it. something abreviated that starts with an s.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:32 PM

Amps aren't drawn from the motor. The motor draws amps from the esc, and in turn the battery's. Think of it as a irrigation system. The motor is the plants, the esc is the water control valve, and the battery's are the water tank. The esc sends the water(electrons) down the pipe(wires) and into the very thirsty plants(motor). Think of it as the plants sucking on the pipe, When there is no water to give, the plants don't get any water(electrons) so they don't grow(turn in this case) As soon as there is a little flow, they start so pull on the water.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM

no the motor pulls amps through the esc from the battery, sorry jm
Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 PM

And by the way, if you increase the voltage, the motor will pull MORE amps compared to a lower voltage setup. UNLESS you gear it down with a smaller pinion. Just thought I'd clarify that. So you want high voltage, BUT a smaller pinion in order to let the motor generate power through its high RPM (watts) rather than raw torque (amps). Hmm, yes it's all so clear now.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:57 PM

no, with higher voltage coms lower amps

lower voltage is higher amps
Old 10-27-2007, 12:14 AM

brushlessboy16 and Slo-V-flyer

The 'pull' as you put it is where the damage to equipment comes. When the demand exceeds the ability you get the proverbial 'letting the smoke out'. Building a balanced system is essential. I personally dont like the term 'pull'. I find it not factual as to what is happening in the electron flow. But that is me.

Also on the current vs voltage thing every time you double the voltage you cut by half the amperage needed for the same work. RUFFLY.