Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
XXX-T CR
84.21%
XXX-T MF2
15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

XXX-T MF2 vs. XXX-T CR

Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XXX-T MF2 vs. XXX-T CR

I am building up a new electric truck and am curious which one is better. They are the same price so it is not an obvious "oh its more money so it must be better".

XXX-T CR Racing Truck Kit
or
XXX-T MF2 Racing Truck Kit

Here are what I guess are the big changes.

The CR has the quick change wheels saying you can use the same wheels front and back. So you can use front wheels and back wheels in either position or you can use rear wheels everywhere, but only fronts in the front? Is this a marketing thing or a useful feature?

The CR has EA3 class composites. Is this better then the graphite on the MF2?

The CR also has a Fan Motor Mount For Engine Cooling. Marketing hype or maybe a useful thing?

Seems like the CR may be the "cutting edge" and the MF2 is getting "outdated". Is this true? Which would you choose and why? Thanks
Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Default RE: XXX-T MF2 vs. XXX-T CR

I have the MF2 and the graphite breakage is annoying, EA3 is supposed to be much better in this respect. I have broken too many pivot plates due to bad landings or just general abuse.

Fan motor mount is always a useful thing when dealing with high-power motors. I wish every truck had one of those.

As for the wheels, not sure that makes sense, the front wheels are round around the axle hole for ball-bearings, the rear wheels have pins as they are drive wheels. Even if you could put rear wheels on front, why would you want to, it would mean more drag.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Access

As for the wheels, not sure that makes sense, the front wheels are round around the axle hole for ball-bearings, the rear wheels have pins as they are drive wheels. Even if you could put rear wheels on front, why would you want to, it would mean more drag.
I dont understand how it works either but here is there description:

"Quick Change Aluminum Rear Hubs
The XXX-T CR uses the same wheels on the front and rear, and features quick release rear axles that let you swap old tread for new in seconds. The same wheels can be used on the front axles using a standard wheel nut configuration. This marks the first time that both of these features have been offered on any 1/10-scale 2WD electric truck. In addition, the new aluminum, multi-adjustable rear hubs give the XXT-CR the most tunable suspension in electric truck racing. The hubs include oversized rear axle bearings for maximum durability."

Old 10-26-2007, 12:43 PM
My Feedback: (23)

I say get the CR because its the newest XXX-T at the moment. It also comes with those rear quick change hubs. Thats a great feature for racing!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:15 PM

the CR is a refined MF2.. the tranny is back to the original mf1 design which was supposedly tougher than the mF2 but that not factual cuz mine hasnt givin me problems. the AE3 masterial resukts in a tougher more durable chassis and suspesnion. it has the characteristics of grahite being light and stiff but at the same time the flex of composite, basically the best of both. the motor has been moved forward a little biit for more forward bite. it is basically a faster more durable MF2.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:53 PM

Any idea why it lost the "Matt Francis" namesake? Who is this Matt Francis guy anyways? Did he leave Losi or is he no longer the force he once was?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:23 PM

Any idea why it lost the "Matt Francis" namesake? Who is this Matt Francis guy anyways? Did he leave Losi or is he no longer the force he once was?

the name xxxt- CR implies the word compitition ready, losi always uses that word when a new line up of car come up. Mat frances was a losi driver and a very good one between the years 2000-2003, won many races with losi so much so that they gave him 2 trucks, the original MF and the the MF2, today im not sure if he races for losi or not but he has not joined any other teams.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Takedown

I say get the CR because its the newest XXX-T at the moment. It also comes with those rear quick change hubs. Thats a great feature for racing!
How does that system work? Front rims and rear rims can be used in any position?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:26 PM

if they're the same price, why on earth would you buy the old one over the new one?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cheech4

the name xxxt- CR implies the word compitition ready, losi always uses that word when a new line up of car come up. Mat frances was a losi driver and a very good one between the years 2000-2003, won many races with losi so much so that they gave him 2 trucks, the original MF and the the MF2, today im not sure if he races for losi or not but he has not joined any other teams.
I think Matt is retired from professional racing.

I would def. choose the CR truck over the MF2.