Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

UNOFFICAL Tamiya Blackfoot Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:55 AM
86waterpumper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UNOFFICAL Tamiya Blackfoot Thread

DAng Better looking oldschool style body, but why can they not make a decent chassis again for this truck instead of trying to put it out on a touring car one HAHA. The blackfoot deserves better shocks
than those pityful things. If they re-release a decent version I will buy one. They need to just reissue the super blackfoot or monster beetle.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:53 AM
oquela

Does anyone know if the non-adjustable upper arms (in front and back) can be switched to adjustable turnbuckle style (I guess the metal center w/plastic ends) on the Xtreme? My camber is totally off on my xtreme in front and rear since adding shocks, even though I bought the correct size replacement oil shocks. The ride height dropped and the tops of my tires are leaning toward the center of the truck at an angle that is WAY beyond what seems normal(like negative 5 deg.)

Has anyone attempted this? Will I lose any strength/integrity to the suspension if I do this? I do some backyard/street bashing, but I don't want to buy tires before I have to.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:11 PM
ElectricGuy007

Well i used to run bigger shocks on my truck, but too much suspension travel made it handle poorly.
So i put the stock shocks back on it and left it. Works better as a snow plow this way.
Wont be too much longer til we get snow here, and i'll be pulling out my xtreme for the snow again.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 PM
ITHURTZ1

My Twin Detonator. Bought it 3 years ago drove it about 5 times and its sat ever since. I broke it out few days ago and put the 9.6V battery in and missed the fun I used to have with these things for the past billion years. Thing moves really good with this battery. I think with the mechanical sc its the 7.2 volt? Loves the 9.6.

Oh btw, ever since I built the truck I have ran only the bigger battery in it, no problems.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also have a Cen Racing boat with a 700BB turbo motor. Bought that long time ago, drove it 4-5 times, painted it and its sat ever since LOL.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 PM
lbshelfqueen

you have mrechanical speed controller with a 9.6v battery? is it ok?? all my cars have msc's but have never tried my 9.6v in them
Old 11-24-2011, 05:03 AM
ipkiss7769

Hey oquela

here is a link showing suspension upgrades u can do the site is old but most of the upgrades are still available hope this helps - 

http://www.customrcmodels.com/id345.htm

Old 11-24-2011, 09:41 AM
oquela

Thanks for the replies! ipkiss7769, I'll check it out. I bought turnbuckle ends to make my own, but havent had the time to cut the middle bolt to size. Will let you know.

Thanks again.

PS: ITHURTZ1, is it the stock motor? I didn't think the stock 540 played very well (or more specifically, very long) with anything over 7.4 volts
Old 11-24-2011, 10:15 AM
ITHURTZ1

Everything on the truck is stock. There is no more than 15 packs run through it, so I dont know if that says anything, but it performs like a champ with the 9.6. Throw a pack in and try it, big difference. And I use a 3000mah long pack, no hump. Slides right in and doesnt stick out past the body.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
ElectricGuy007

We are supposed to get some snow tonight, so knock on wood...Will be pulling out the Xtreme into the snow tomorrow if we get some..
I waterproofed my touring car, but I think it was pointless because if we get too much snow I dont wanna
spend time digging it out of the snow. [&:]The blackfoot I wont have to because of it's bigger tires.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM
oquela

Has anyone here ever upgraded the xtreme w/the titan 12t 550 and xl5 ESC? In general, the shaft is longer on the 550 than on the stock motor, and I'm afraid it will bang on the other side of the transmission, opposite the mounting hole.

1)Does it need to be cut? if so, how do I do it w/o damaging the shaft?
2) the shaft on the 550 has a stop (for the pinion) that is further away from the body of the motor. does this have to be ground down, or should I just turn the pinion w/the set screw on the outside?
3)Do I need any mounting rings or anything else?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:29 AM
ipkiss7769

i have upgrade my blackfoot extreme with the twin traxxas titan motors and i cut the shaft with a dremel, i know some people have drilled a hole through the other side of the gearbox case but if you want to change the pinion size u need to drill another hole, i turned my pinions around and have had no problems
Old 12-19-2011, 06:51 PM
oquela

Thanks for the reply. I'll get a dremmel and cut the shaft a bit.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM
traderdave2
My Feedback: (318)

Ok Guys I have a new in the box Tamiya Blackfoot,I am looking at possibly building it,all the pieces are there and still in the plastic.
Here are my questions:
What upgrades should I do for handling and suspension and what motor upgrade should I use.
My brother had one of these in the 80's and I thought it would be cool to have one and I came upon one here in Ga.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:36 PM
ElectricGuy007

If it's an original blackfoot I wouldnt run the stock dogbones because they will strip themselves.
Invest in some frog dogbones, but you will also need the Frog Diff cups and axles as well.

You can start with stock unless you wanna run brushless in the truck.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 PM
lbshelfqueen

my original blackfoot runs the hex shafts with a technigold motor, and my brat runs standard dog bones and no differential both seem to be ok with c.v. joint grease packed in there. messy but works great.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:58 AM
tozovr

My first RC car was back in '86. Bought a Black Foot used from a friends brother. It came with an RS-540SD Endurance motor (wish I still had that!) I was great once I'd saved up enough for an Airtronics XL2-p. When I finished 6th grade that year I'd made honor roll all 4 quarters and as a gift my parents let me drag them down to Jim's RC in Derry NH and I got a Tamiya RX-540XD Technipower to replace the "Techniblack" I had. That turned out to be the death knell for the Black Foot tranny After a zillion sets of Diff/spider gears I parked it and it was lost to a bunch of moves and time.

This one came almost as you see it...showed up last week.
It needed tires and electronics, so I happily obliged with a brand new RS-540 Sport Tuned Black motor as a nod to my younger days I popped in an HPI ESC and a Spektrum RX and Servo. The tires are a spare set I had for my Monster Beetle Project{s}. Body has no cracks and just needs a sunroof and rear window....maybe some black paint on that grille and some color for the driver.  Need to put the rear bumper back on

It's just as fun to drive as it I remembered but I'm taking it a bit easy until I fab up some braces for the tranny to fight the side-plate flex (the cause of the nukes diffs of yesteryear).

The truck is a survivor and I'm just going to play with it gently. No big resto, just smiles.

Since it arrived I gave it some of the parts I never could when I was a kid...Monster Beetle CVA shocks, bearings and some CRP Suspension pivots and rear bumper/tranny brace.  I wiped it down and just have a BLAST driving it.

From last week before the CVA's etc...

Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
The Mad Modder

Nice truck. It looks like it's in very good shape.

In case you ever need spare parts, it shares many of them with the frog and brat which are back in production.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM
The Mad Modder

Sorry, double post.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:08 AM
ElectricGuy007

Been running mine in the yard on 7 cells. Thing is a beast. I cant imagine driving this on Lipo power.
Im running a Losi 32K motor and 15T E-firestorm/Blitz stock esc.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Krazy Chicken

mines still sitting in my closet, hopefully going to bring both my blackfoots back to life right after my wheely king
Old 03-10-2013, 08:52 AM
lodger

Just got back into R/C after a very long break. Ihad a Minicraft Lazer when Iwas young but it didn't last too long, i think the gearbox failed after a few runs. This time around I'm starting with a Blackfoot Xtreme. It's pretty much stock right now, just added bearings so far, but I've got some oil shocks on the way...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27753.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1860316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13547.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1860317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92983.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1860318  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Working on 2 of my Blackfoots, sacrificing a third one for parts.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:11 AM
-Alex77-

I had original blackfoot when i was kid, with the usual problems and tuning. Unfortunately year ago i scrapped it, and i regret it so much, so i had to buy good used one.

Well i got the used one from ebay, first thing i sanded the body and painted it and got some re-release frog suspension and gears and axles.

I started to customize it a lot, light lexan body, friend made billet aluminum parts, ezrun 9t motorkit, and i have steel gears without differential for transmission.

Ezrun 9t kit is at the moment very much tamed, so no wheelspin at asphalt very much, but its very fast otherwise. Lots of rollovers at asphalt, at sand much more steady. Lexan body makes a difference.

I have standard 7.2v 4300 battery for asphalt, and for sand 10.8v 4600 battery when the rest of the billet parts are ready (sideplates, bearing cups etc).

Old 05-07-2013, 05:14 AM
The Mad Modder

Very cool. I love making custom parts for my RC cars and truck. Sometimes you really have to when aftermarket parts aren't even available for particular car.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:13 PM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

one of my newest projects is a KBF.....pics will b posted soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.