Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Truck conversion

Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 PM
rickster3057

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truck conversion

your right its not a speed demon but boy can it climb, and its got serioys tracktion ,thought about brushless and some serious li-po,s, doesnt really snow down here though, it was just a five minute idea but maybe i should move it forward.
Rick.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:37 PM
rickster3057

Hi all just as an addition the tank i sourced for parts wasnt a scale runner, i.e it ran really fast not to scale speed, probably 30 miles an hour tops, but i am sure it could go quicker,got a lovely 30 size aero engine maybe a nitro retrofit. this was so easy to make but so much fun,front wheels in the sumer ski,s in the winter, for a cheapo,its gonna give me to much fun,hehehehhe.maybe i should start making/selling them,LOL,
Rick
Old 12-13-2007, 11:33 AM
rickster3057

If anyone is interested i jusyt found the same tank i used for my truck conversion on ebay... here,s the item number.
RC U.S Army Tank (#150194948659)
Rick
Old 12-17-2007, 12:41 PM
rickster3057

Hi J.M took the motor housing apart to check them out they are standard 540,s cool or what never thought to run them on 14 volts, gonna give it a try and see what happens, its fast on a 7.4 pack.
Rick.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:07 PM
rickster3057

just as an additition to this thread over on the unusual rc thread under the heading mattraxs, ideas are being thrown around about making strong mattraxs copies or trucks buggies and truggies,
Rickster.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 PM
rickster3057

Hi all,Happy new year,i have a quick update,
I ran two esc,s and two 7.4v batteries on the conversion then tried 14v and one esc,the latter worked a treat now i have the units all fixed and mounted properley it runs really well,.Looking for a lipo and brushless setup for it now gonna run it at 14v.
And a new body shell,now just off to order.
rickster.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 PM
j.m.

if they are standard 540's then b-less and lipo is going to be EXPENSIVE. Also, when you hit high speed, you will have to worry about the tracks coming off, or there might be some slippage issues.h
Old 01-09-2008, 11:59 AM
rickster3057

HIJm,yep i hear ya,Great minds think alike was gonna add this to the update.
i have an old LRP high performance buggy motor with a gearbox it runs slower than a lypo brushless setup, i picked a lypo and motor set but thought i would try the buggy motor first on one track before i baught the brushless set, the track came off at high speed everytime, i changed the shock setup the tension and even made it rigid but it still came off,[]
So i guess the motor track combo i have was design for a set speed, its still really fast though, I will have to stay with it as it is,it does seem to run well on 14v.
I cant complain it took an hour to make and nothing in cost.
I have been developping a track conversion similiar to the mattraxs for a Savage 21 monster truck,just have to build the track system.

Rickster3057
Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 PM
j.m.

that's why we use tires. And it's LiPo (Lithium Polymer) not lypo.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:23 PM
rickster3057

hi JM ,LiPo,LyPo it was just a typo man heheheheh, anyway why be boring and use just tires, thought this wanderful hobby of ours was about experiment with new stuff? thats why i built the truck conversion, you cant use rear wheel drive trucks with tires in the snow or on ice!!
so i get the best of all worlds, truck for dry track and mud, tracked truck for snow take the front wheels off add ski,s run on ice and really deep snow.and if i add blades on the front i get som really cool tail slides on really thick ice.
Now thats an experiment wouldnt ya say ????
rickster3057
Old 01-14-2008, 11:23 AM
rickster3057

Hi all,
just put all the radio gear in the truck and ran it gonna take some video of it,anyone know how to load it on the website????
Rickster.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:34 PM
j.m.

you can too use a car with tires in the snow! it works quite well! (and 4wd helps. 2wd stadium trucks can barely keep traction on the road.)h
Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 AM
rickster3057

hehehhehe,Hi Jm, yep i know you ,just have to change the tires to sand paddles and you can run in the snow, was jsut testing ya,LOL
I had a HPI mt2 and one year at christmas when it snowed ,all the local kids came out with there new 2wd RC cars and trucks and were so unhappy when they just sat there with wheels spinning.
Got my truck out to show them what 4wd can do, spent the whole day charging my batteries up so the kids could play wth my truck,DOH, LOL what a great way to spend christmas day and good for the hobby.heheheheh.
Rickster.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:09 AM
rickster3057

Hey Jm,
Got the truck all rigged up yesterday didnt have a spare esc apart from a marine version, so i fitted it and a 12 v battery,ran it last night and man did it scream along,almost as fast as the old 2wd system i replaced, cant figure it out, would it be the marine esc, it didnt seem to run that fast on 14v, I am using a gell lead acid battery could it be that????
Rickster.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:43 AM
rickster3057

Hi all just a quick update, i have fitted a new body painted the wheels and a vid will follow soon.
Rickster3057