Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Raising Rustler Height

Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 AM
healthyfatboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising Rustler Height

I am trying to decide between the Rustler and Stampede and am leaning towards the Rustler and had a question that would basically solve my problem. On an XL-5 Rustler, can you move the front shocks and springs down on the shock tower and move the rear shocks in on the rear and raise the Rustler to get more ground clearance for bigger jumps? I know I would have to adjust for toe in and camber and the such and I know that I would have to get adjustable turnbuckles but I wanted to know if this was possible at all. If so, then I am sold on the Rustler. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 AM
Matt (12 year old rc fanatic)

Default RE: Raising Rustler Height

yes just do that and get some moabs or something and it could be like a stampede
well, almost like a stampede
Old 01-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: healthyfatboy

I am trying to decide between the Rustler and Stampede and am leaning towards the Rustler and had a question that would basically solve my problem. On an XL-5 Rustler, can you move the front shocks and springs down on the shock tower and move the rear shocks in on the rear and raise the Rustler to get more ground clearance for bigger jumps? I know I would have to adjust for toe in and camber and the such and I know that I would have to get adjustable turnbuckles but I wanted to know if this was possible at all. If so, then I am sold on the Rustler. Thanks!
The Stampede doesn't have more ground clearence for jumping then the rustler. The center ground clearence doesn't help on jumps. The Stampede does come with larger tires though. The rustler front shock tower is not ajustable stock. The only way to raise the front would be to move the shocks to the more center hole. The rear shocks could be moved in some aswell. Just add some pre-load spacers and it will push it up more.
The way that would be best would be to get some masher 2000 tires (M2k's). They will give you more ground clearence, and give you great traction.
The diffrence between the rustler and stampede is Monster Truck VS. Stadium Truck. Lower CG vs higher CG. To me, in rocky bashing conditions, the stampede is better.

If you told me what you planned on doing with the truck, I could help more with the desision. It's a very hard one, I know how you feel[:'(]
Old 01-03-2008, 05:39 AM
NjBasher

put those spacers on the shocks that came with the truck
Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 AM
healthyfatboy

AD, I'm just trying to figure out which one to get and if I can get closer to "having" both trucks with just the Rustler, then I would go with it. I just want to have the most versatility in just about any situation because I'll be in school for a little longer in Oklahoma and will also be in Arizona for the summer working for a company as an intern. I like having the options should I need them even though I usually don't use them all anyway.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: healthyfatboy

AD, I'm just trying to figure out which one to get and if I can get closer to "having" both trucks with just the Rustler, then I would go with it. I just want to have the most versatility in just about any situation because I'll be in school for a little longer in Oklahoma and will also be in Arizona for the summer working for a company as an intern. I like having the options should I need them even though I usually don't use them all anyway.
The Stampede is definetly a all arround truck. Rocks, jumping, wheelies, it does it all and is fun to drive. The rustler is great for higher speeds. The lower CG makes it handle the turns better with less rollovers and even lands some jumps a little better. If the terrain your going to be driving on is rocky, get the stampede. Even when we take my dads rustler out to Arizona, the bottom gets very beat up and he often centers on rocks.

There is two basic options...

1) get a rustler and put bigger tires on it (Might make the motor heat up)
2) get a stampede and widen it for better handling (Will handle like a rustler and keep the higher ground clearence)