Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Stampede (VXL, xl-1, xl-5)
35.47%
Rustler (VXL, xl-1, xl-5)
64.53%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Rustler Vs. Stampede

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 05:03 PM
kbreese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rustler Vs. Stampede

I went with a Pede, but one with a full FLM chassis. Never driven a Rustler, but this pede with the 3s Lipo is a blast! I drive it on the street alot and itr actually handles pretty good! Just have to be smart with the controller is all.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Always Dreamin

Well here is why I am asking. I currently own a Rustler, but I was getting a little bored. I thought it might be fun to convert back. Mainly after seeing how Fusebmx13 beats his Stampede, in his video, It sparked a Pede interest in me.

As I was trying to put it all back together, I noticed that i'm missing some of my old Pede screws. [X(]

I was thinking of making an order for a new Stampede body, and some new screws and using the Stampede for a while. The Rustler obviously won this poll, and the performance is unmatched by the Stock Stampede. Although the Rustler is nothing compared to a t4, E-firestorm, or Losi in handling. There is just SOMETHING about the Stampede that keeps bringing me back to it. It's just a fun overall truck. It takes some skill to drive, and it takes whatever I throw at it.

I was trying to decide if I should convert back, and spend a little extra OR, just leave the Rustler. Although the Rustler is better, the Stampede still looks so fun. I know this is really up to me, but I can't decide.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Always Dreamin

Alright, well I now own a Stampede, again.

I still am baffled at the two trucks. Mostly because they each have their own personal benefits and faults. One is taller, less stable, but can be just as fun, if not more so. The other is a lower profile, mix between a buggy, and a MT. The Rustler can tackle most of the things that a Stampede can, just in a different style. The Stampede goes over taller objects easier, but the Rustler can still go over them. It doesn't look as smooth, as often the bottom of the chassis will hit the object, but it shouldn't be doubted. The Rustler is a tough truck, and I can say the same for the Stampede. I have not noticed a big difference in durability between the two. Speed is also the same. With the same tires, and the same gearing, the trucks are dead even in speed. The only reason the Rustler is able to pull taller gearing is because of the smaller tires. Not many people leave the stock tires for long. With the same tires, feel free to keep the same gearing. I don't like how the taller chassis of the Stampede puts the esc up higher. On top of that, there's no where else to put it. This is one of the obstacles with the Stampede. In my opinion the stock body makes the Stampede look like an E-maxx "Wanna be." It looks like a raised Rustler with a tall body. One of the first things I would do to it would be to lower the body to about the height of the chassis. The thing I don't like about the Rustler is the steering setup. The bell crank steering really can be a pain to install, and from what I've seen adds strain to the servo. I haven't had a problem with the stock servo and this setup, and I'm sure that a high torque servo would not have any issues.

The Stampede can be a blast to drive. It is always on the edge of flipping, so you as a driver are always alert. The Rustler does have better handling. One of the first things that should be done to a Stampede before speed, is widening. The wider stance stampede performs as good if not better then a stock Rustler. A widened Rustler handles about the same as a nicer ST. If this was comparing a Rustler to a E-firestorm or t4, the choice would be obvious. The Rustler just cannot compete with other ST's as far as handling goes, it is however a very tough truck. This is like comparing apples to oranges. Each are good at different times, and different places. The best car would be a widened Stampede. Out of the box, the Rustler beats it in handling. There is no arguing about this. If you're willing to go the extra mile with the Stampede, it's totally worth it. If you're looking for solid speed, I wouldn't chose either. They both don't handle good, and from what I've seen they both do very well at 40-50 mph. If you're going for speed, get something that handles more like a racer. If you're looking at specs, the Rustler wins. It's got better agility, and with the Vxl motor, that's very much so needed. If you're comparing fun, that's when it starts to get hard. The Stampede is a blast. It's just good solid fun. The Rustler can be just as fun, but you need more speed. This is where I'm attached to the Stampede. The Stampede can be fun at 30 mph. The Rustler can too, but it's mainly fun once you get some power. If you're going over 60 mph, the Stampede just isn't stable enough, and the Rustler barely can hold on. The Stampede is fun at slower speeds, because it's a MT. It is always fun to drive, and once you get used to the slower speeds, you can step it up. Overall, the two trucks are very similar from what I've seen. I have rarely seen past 50 mph, and at that speed, the Stampede takes a bit lighter finger movements to keep under control. The two trucks are very different, and that's what sets them apart. After testing both, they both seem to share one thing; durability. Both trucks are great, and I really wouldn't mind owning either one. It really comes down to what you want to do with the truck. For me, in my front yard bashing, the Stampede is probably a better suit. For you, it may be something different. If you already have a Stampede, do not bother converting. Simply widen the truck. If you have a Rustler, throw on some Masher 2000's, and you will easily keep up with the Stampedes ground clearance without being too unstable. You cannot always have everything, and these cars are a perfect example.

Maybe as I test the Stampede further, I will have more information.

This is just what i've seen so far.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Always Dreamin

I still can't decide. They are both fun. Thought I'd re-open the poll up. They are IMO the most popular trucks on RCU.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 AM
shaunmichaeljohnson

rusty all the way.

i had a stampede and it's soo anoying when it's 100 meters away and flips over on you.

but...
IF you spend $$ on an FLM pede it's deffo better than a stock rusty.
FLM makes the suspension much more plush and better for jumping etc.

but you'll have more fun with a rustler VXL over a pede

shaun
Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Redvanmafia

None is "better", stampede will run thru grass,dirt,mud,hills,ruff stuff better then a rustler will every time. its just as fast just as stable with a few upgrades, 10 bucks worth just more fun to look at cause theres so many "st's" out there and the stampede is "MT ISH" I cant belive the bias between these two trucks
Old 08-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

None is "better", stampede will run thru grass,dirt,mud,hills,ruff stuff better then a rustler will every time. its just as fast just as stable with a few upgrades, 10 bucks worth just more fun to look at cause theres so many "st's" out there and the stampede is "MT ISH" I cant belive the bias between these two trucks
they are the two most popular (IMO) trucks on RCU. just wanted to know. i have owned both, and still can own both. i personally prefer the Stampede for what i do. just wanted to see what you guys preferred. Not what is better, what you like more and why.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
shaunmichaeljohnson

i miss wheelies because i'm only using 7 cells in my rustler...but i'll be getting lipo soon tho.

stock pede is no good for racing like i do.
i race in unlimited against LST's with my rustler[X(][X(] (not that i get good placings tho, i got a 3rd ONCE)
shaun
Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: shaunmichaeljohnson

i miss wheelies because i'm only using 7 cells in my rustler...but i'll be getting lipo soon tho.

stock pede is no good for racing like i do.
i race in unlimited against LST's with my rustler[X(][X(] (not that i get good placings tho, i got a 3rd ONCE)
shaun
neither is the stock Rustler.

IMO the wheelies are getting old, maybe i've just been doing them for too long.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Always Dreamin

what would you guys call the better jumper? the rustler obviously has more air control, but what about the height they get off the jumps? maybe it's just me, but it seems like the stampede gets a little higher off the jumps. well today i took the stampede to the track with my friends old e-maxx. he was doing horrible, but i landed one of the jumps wrong and snapped my chassis. instead of buying a new chassis, or using one of my spares, i'm going to take this time to convert to a rustler. anybody else want to vote that hasn't? IMO these are the two most popular trucks on the forum, and maybe someone that's in the market for one of these (probably) will learn something from this thread.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:19 AM
1maxdude

Stock for stock, stampede hands down. Way more fun than I've ever had in my rustler. Everyone keeps touting handling ability of the rustler???? It sucks really bad compared to a real stadium truck. The stampede doesn't really seem to have a huge disadvantage over the rustler in that area like so many people claim. Rather than have a big long paragraph, to sum it up in one word for the stampede, fun. The rustler is ok as a beginner basher vehicle, but is not race worthy, doesn't have the clearance or fun factor of off roading like you get with the stampede. People say speed is better, I don't know, I have a fast rustler, stampede isn't fast as of now, and thats the way I want it. Buy a truck to be a truck and not some on road car, because it'll make a poor on road car as well.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: 1maxdude

Stock for stock, stampede hands down. Way more fun than I've ever had in my rustler. Everyone keeps touting handling ability of the rustler???? It sucks really bad compared to a real stadium truck. The stampede doesn't really seem to have a huge disadvantage over the rustler in that area like so many people claim. Rather than have a big long paragraph, to sum it up in one word for the stampede, fun. The rustler is ok as a beginner basher vehicle, but is not race worthy, doesn't have the clearance or fun factor of off roading like you get with the stampede. People say speed is better, I don't know, I have a fast rustler, stampede isn't fast as of now, and thats the way I want it. Buy a truck to be a truck and not some on road car, because it'll make a poor on road car as well.
the stampede is a fun car. as long as you are a little light with your finger.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:39 AM
fusebmx13

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!!
This is perfect lol. You can get on the throttle a bit more with the rustler but when you have 3s in either truck its impossible to control. But i have a nice wheelie bar now to where i can gun my throttle at full and it will just stand and go lol I might not have steering but it goes. Plus the only real reason i have a stampede is bashing, trashing, and suspension. Im not a racer and if i was i would not have either one of these trucks lol. I would have something more race worthy for sure like a b44, b4, t4, etc. Its all personal preference IMO. I drive both trucks on a regular basis and i just think that my stampede is more fun.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!!
This is perfect lol. You can get on the throttle a bit more with the rustler but when you have 3s in either truck its impossible to control. But i have a nice wheelie bar now to where i can gun my throttle at full and it will just stand and go lol I might not have steering but it goes. Plus the only real reason i have a stampede is bashing, trashing, and suspension. Im not a racer and if i was i would not have either one of these trucks lol. I would have something more race worthy for sure like a b44, b4, t4, etc. Its all personal preference IMO. I drive both trucks on a regular basis and i just think that my stampede is more fun.
fuse, do you go through bodies quickly? they seem to last a bit longer on the rustler? maybe it's because it doesn't flip as much, but i know what you mean about the fun part. the stampede is basically all about fun. what have you noticed when it comes to jumping with the two trucks? which one seems to be better at getting air and landing well?
Old 10-19-2008, 01:09 PM
fusebmx13

The reason bodies last longer on the rustler is because it isnt so high. I use the Jconcepts body right now and it is super thick and it is very strong. Its because you use the crappy thin stock bodies. You gonna get a good quality one.
I like the stampede better hands down for jumping. It is just built for it IMO. I have nailed the ground from 15-20 feet in the air and nothing broke. I think its easier to control in the air. I can backflip my truck a lot easier than a rustler.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Always Dreamin

The reason bodies last longer on the rustler is because it isnt so high. I use the Jconcepts body right now and it is super thick and it is very strong. Its because you use the crappy thin stock bodies. You gonna get a good quality one.
I like the stampede better hands down for jumping. It is just built for it IMO. I have nailed the ground from 15-20 feet in the air and nothing broke. I think its easier to control in the air. I can backflip my truck a lot easier than a rustler.
right now i have the proline c-10 body. it's holding up alright. i might get the j-concepts if this one gives out. ya, it will backflip easier, and seems easier to level out in the air when you land. but it's wierd. it seems like the stampede gets more air off a jump then a rustler does. maybe it's just me?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Mekong

I dont think the higher clearance of the pede really does anything but raise the CG. Really if you look at it, the front bulkhead on each (if you put the same tires on each and same shock setup) it is at the same height, same with the rear. Really the only difference is the center of the chassis height, so IMO whats the use?

I have a pede and I love it, but I wish I had a rustler, its a better chassis lay out, more room for RX and ESC, better steering protection and the front end is less prone to snap in a bad head on.

The only thing I think the pede is better for is wheelies and back flips.

FLM wide arms, or some kind of wide mod is needed on both IMO,
Old 10-19-2008, 02:58 PM
1maxdude

I agree about the better layout. There is no room to do anything with the stampede. And yeah the clearance is only in the middle, but it helps out alot if you're in some tilled up dirt or at some construction site. My rustler seems to just suck, maybe its the power. If I get stuck in the rustler, I just need to give it some throttle and it hops out. Way overpowered for dirt and stuff. I pretty much leave street tires on my rustler and leave moabs on the stampede.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:52 PM
fusebmx13

I think the slash is better than both. Its like both trucks put together. half and half, you get a little bit of both worlds lol.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Always Dreamin

I think the slash is better than both. Its like both trucks put together. half and half, you get a little bit of both worlds lol.
that's my favorite part of the slash. it's got the ground clearance of a stampede, but still a flat pan chassis, and not quite as high as the pede though.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:41 PM
FairTax4me

The Slash is the best for jumping IMO. The longer chassis makes it seem a bit more controllable when its in the air. If it starts to nose over its usually pretty slowly and you can goose the throttle to bring it back before it goes over too far. All three trucks have their place though.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

The Slash is the best for jumping IMO. The longer chassis makes it seem a bit more controllable when its in the air. If it starts to nose over its usually pretty slowly and you can goose the throttle to bring it back before it goes over too far. All three trucks have their place though.
IMO it's the worst jumping. The Stampede has the big tires that soak up the landing, while the Rustler has a really low CG that keeps the car very well balanced in the air. Plus, whenever the Slash lands a huge jump, I always hear a loud SMACK as it hits. Probably the oversized body.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:03 PM
RCdestroyer

I have to say its a tough choice. I like the Stampede because I think it comes with better tires than the rustler and it also comes with higher ground clearence and a wheelie bar (20$ value). The bad think about the Stampede though is its a little slower then the rustler and it also is a little harder to control because its very tall so that makes it tipsy. I don't own any one of these but Iam for sure getting one or the other for Christmas.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:33 PM
fusebmx13

The slash would be a great jumper when put together with some bigger tires. It doesnt matter once you are running BL and 3s. Any tire is gonna be able to move the truck in the air but i think the slash would be the best because its the strongest. Although my pede just showed me just how strong it is today. Smacking a pole at over 50 is not fun but hell, when it bounces off and wants more its not that bad haha.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Pavmentsurfer

I think im currently working on the ultimate compromise to this question. Ive built a slash chassis up with stampede wheels and tires (electric stampede fronts all the way around for more width) and then ive added a rustler body and mounts. The Slash chassis is the best of both worlds as its a bit higher than the rustler, but lower than the stampede. The stampede wheels with give more ground clearance but by sticking with the wider fronts on all 4 corners ill max the width and since the slash is the same length as the rustler and they all use the same shock towers I can use just the tower body mount on the back and install the rustler front mounts (basically the same setup as a stock rustler) and get the low slung rustler look. Ive also used stampede shocks to gain a bit more travel at full extension but plan to run with a bit of sag... which the stampede doesnt typically have. The thing to keep in mind is the slash is the same width front and back without wheels, whereas the stampede and the rustler are narrower in the front and use wider offset wheels to make up for it. So, you cant just install all 4 stampede or rustler wheels on a slash without it ended up wider at one end.
Currently im running the XL5 stuff. But really wish id gone with the VXL from the start. I guess that will be my next upgrade. Anyway, its not finished yet as a few of the pieces are still on their way. I think its going to be a really good compromise between the ground clearance/handling issue.
Pavmentsurfer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.