Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Traxxas E-maxx
68.55%
HPI E-Savage
27.42%
Other (please state)
4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

E-Maxx or E-Savage for bashing

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Lilredmachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-Maxx or E-Savage for bashing

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

Listen I understand the whole deal about unsprung weight and rotating mass. I have a mechanical engineering degree, but maybe I am crazy but Id give up a few ounces and a 1/4 mile per hour top speed by adding metal gears in a transmission versus plastic. No one bangs on HPI for adding metal gears in the e-firestorm or traxxas for doing so in the VXL models. Its done for longevity of the product, metal will not wear as fast as plastic even if the plastic gears are meshed correctly. Its just physics. I know I would have loved Ford to have put billet rods and pistons in my mustang from the factory so I can turn up the boost more before getting an engine rebuild.

You are banging on the e-maxx because its built to handle brushless power stock, but my guess is if it wasn't you would be saying its not strong enough or how they changed even less on the truck. Its a no win with you, you will bash on it regardless of what they did.

Its obvious our opinions differ and that isnt going to change. But I think you are being naive in dismissing the changes made to the new e-maxx as simply a non-factor and a marketing ploy. Traxxas has taken pretty much every problem there was with the old e-maxx and made it better.
The VXL is sold fitted with a brushless system. The E-firestorm was developed with the intention of producing a brushless version shortly after release (the Flux) both have reasons to have metal gears. The E-maxx doesn't come with brushless, and despite them making a video of a twin brushless E-maxx there is no news of a release of such a vehicle, nor of an aftermarket Traxxas made brushless system suitable to power an E-maxx. I just don't believe that metal gears are necessary in a center transmission in a vehicle such as an E-maxx, even with brushless power. Nor do I believe that a metal on metal contact is necessarily a good thing for either longevity or efficiency, I've had far more issues with metal on metal contact between, say, pinion and spur than I ever have with metal on plastic in brushless vehicles. As I said, reports of E-savage center trannies failing even with bl power are few and far between, despite being made from plastic. My 2 yr old center plastic tranny still looks like the day it was made. The Maxx never failed either, and that runs BL power with the plastic gears.

There are some good points with the new E-maxx, but I don't believe it makes it better in any way than the E-savage. Both are different, and nigh on incomparable, yet people insist on comparing them. Look at the thread title, it says 'E-maxx or E-savage for bashing', I think the E-savage is by far the better truck for bashing, so that is what I am pushing. I don't even consider the E-maxx a competitor, so it is unlikley that you are going to change my mind just because they made a revision of an old design. I would not be talking about the truck at all if they hadn't changed it, it would have remained the same old maxx, frail, slow, complex and heavy. They've brought it back to the fore and invited comment, so that is what I am doing. It is Traxxas' fault for hashing up an old truck rather than releasing a new one, the world was crying out for an electric powered Revo, how can a company so based on customer support and market research ignore that?

Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 AM
bash_n_trash

Guys

I have just been through this whole E-Sav vs E-Maxx thing and spent quite some time doing my research into what model to buy. I should explain that my intention was always to go Brushless from day 1. I was still undecided until I saw both models in the flesh. The new E-Maxx is by far superior in build quality, size and durability. The E-Sav looks tiny in comparison and is very restrictive in layout. For exapmle the battery holders placed either side of the E-Sav chassis is useless for Lipo and would require ripping out. The E-maxx is built so much better and has a drivetrain to handle the brushless from the box. As with all Traxxas models though, A Arms are a weak point and need RPM replacments. Apart from that I decided to go E-Maxx and have not looked back. Another plus point for the Maxx is the aftermarket parts and the sheer wealth of technical info & resources available on the web. IMO if your serious about Electric MT the Maxx is the way to go. For messing around then the E-Sav only cause its cheaper.

As for price the E-Maxx is more expensive by about £30 in the UK and does not come with batteries, cahrgers etc but as an old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".

That my opinion for what its worth!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 AM
kazakore

ORIGINAL: bash_n_trash

Guys

I have just been through this whole E-Sav vs E-Maxx thing and spent quite some time doing my research into what model to buy. I should explain that my intention was always to go Brushless from day 1. I was still undecided until I saw both models in the flesh. The new E-Maxx is by far superior in build quality, size and durability. The E-Sav looks tiny in comparison and is very restrictive in layout. For exapmle the battery holders placed either side of the E-Sav chassis is useless for Lipo and would require ripping out. The E-maxx is built so much better and has a drivetrain to handle the brushless from the box. As with all Traxxas models though, A Arms are a weak point and need RPM replacments. Apart from that I decided to go E-Maxx and have not looked back. Another plus point for the Maxx is the aftermarket parts and the sheer wealth of technical info & resources available on the web. IMO if your serious about Electric MT the Maxx is the way to go. For messing around then the E-Sav only cause its cheaper.

As for price the E-Maxx is more expensive by about £30 in the UK and does not come with batteries, cahrgers etc but as an old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".

That my opinion for what its worth!
E-Savage seems to have been dropping in price slightly over the last few weeks and I would say the difference is now more like £50-60 and you get a couple of (just about) usable batteries. Still it's not that much if you're buying new and want the best truck you can get.

But really why I'm replying again is to ask where you shop in UK for Traxxas spares. My LHS doesn't appear to stock Traxxas at all and there's a few bits listed at http://modelsport.co.uk/ but most of it seems out of stock most of the time, especially the likes of the RPM hop-ups. Would be good to know a UK supplier as buying from the USA just takes so fudging long...
Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 AM
bash_n_trash

ORIGINAL: kazakore

E-Savage seems to have been dropping in price slightly over the last few weeks and I would say the difference is now more like £50-60 and you get a couple of (just about) usable batteries. Still it's not that much if you're buying new and want the best truck you can get.

But really why I'm replying again is to ask where you shop in UK for Traxxas spares. My LHS doesn't appear to stock Traxxas at all and there's a few bits listed at http://modelsport.co.uk/ but most of it seems out of stock most of the time, especially the likes of the RPM hop-ups. Would be good to know a UK supplier as buying from the USA just takes so fudging long...

I use ModelSport mainly or Wheelspin for RPM and sometimes JE Spares. Getting hold of standard Traxxas parts in the UK is quite easy but upgrading to Brushless is a PITA. I have had to source nearly everything from the States. Although with the weak dollar you can get some good bargains this is offset by the 2 week waiting times for delivery. A case in point I had recently was some Maxamp 6000MAH Lipo I bought. After waiting 2 weeks for delivery one of the packs was DOA. I sent them back and waited for replacements and this took a further 3 weeks. Also getting 5mm pinion gears for Feiago 8XL can only be sourced from the US and again 2 weeks delivery. I am being very patient of late but the wait was worth it.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 PM
email4walker

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

First of all, just because a truck doenst come with batteries doesnt mean that it being rated for 14 cells means nothing. Besides the batteries the esavage comes with arent all that great anyway and the charger needed an external power supply to use in the house.

Well as far as the bulkheads, how many cartwheels did you do when you landed your emaxx to break the bulkheads. Like I said I have had 3 maxx trucks and have broken 1 set when I missed a jump and did about 5 carwheels. That imo is driver error not a truck problem.

Even if the maxx is a 9 year old design which its not, it still is better and I gave you reasons why in my previous post. But with the new "updates" it is supperior to the old truck and imo the esavage.

But to my last point, seeing as how the new e-maxxs transmission is not only considerably stronger than the old one it is also lighter, so there goes that theory huh. Btw I am not E-maxx or Traxxas fanboi. I have owned all three trucks (old emaxx, esavage, and new emaxx). The new e-maxx is better in every single way from my own personal experience. Your mileage may vary, but at least when you are bashing the e-maxx know what the hell you are talking about first.
No **** duh for brains. The old one was a 2 speed. Of course it is going to be lighter. You're honestly telling me that if you stripped those metal gears out of the new tranny and replaced them with plastic, the metal version would be lighter? Just like you'd probably reckon the FOC Revo tranny in my Revo/Maxx hybrid is now lighter as the reverse gear train is missing? For the man upstairs' sake, if you are clever enough to draw breath, please don't post stuff like that. Point remains, it has pointless metal gears that are not needed when running stock, so everyone has to suffer in terms of noise and weight (and it was already a noisy, weighty truck) for the power mad crazyness of a few.

The E-maxx is 7 years old, the T-maxx was released in 1999, 9 years ago. The E-maxx uses a lot of components from the T-maxx. Various parts of the E-maxx stem from a 9 year old design. You can kick and scream all you like. The E-maxx is an OLD truck, that Traxxas have kept bleeping on the life support with a revision rather than switching it off and designing a new one. Fact is, everyone was desperately hoping for this release to be an E-revo, not a rehashed E-Maxx.

How I broke the bulkheads is besides the point. The truck should not break bulkheads at all, it is surrounded by many plastic components (shock tower, arms, hubs etc.) that should break first. The fact they don't points to a bad design.

Irrespective of the batteries or charger the E-savage comes with, or the 16.8v capability of it's ESC, Traxxas has still slapped 16.8v on the box of the E-maxx, which means naff all. It's a cynical marketing ploy. Sell it with some Traxxas branded 7 cell packs then yeah, maybe. The E-savage is 16.8v, what's your point, traxxas?

Lets all look at a proper piece of design work and just relax... Ahhhhhh. (so long as no one points out the Irony of HPI nicking the truck hook line and sinker from Hotbodies )

Lilredmachine, What did you use to convert the 12mm hex to a 17mm hex so you could use those rims on the E savage?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Lilredmachine

Well, that's not my truck, and the stock hexes are 14mm. However there is a specific E-savage 17mm hex kit you can get.

Here for example:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSCH9
Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 AM
email4walker

Sweet! Thanks.