Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Traxxas E-maxx
68.55%
HPI E-Savage
27.42%
Other (please state)
4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

E-Maxx or E-Savage for bashing

Old 02-01-2008, 10:18 AM
kazakore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Maxx or E-Savage for bashing

Which would you recommend for off-road bashing around parks, woods, car parks etc?

Technical ability - Good.
RC experience - Medium
Available time (for upkeep) - Good

Want something fast, fun and pretty rugged. Also need something that has plenty of upgrade possibilities in the future, although will probably run (almost) stock to start it wouldn't surprise me if I end up going brushless by the end of the year. I am based in the UK so availability of spares over here is going to be a fairly majoy factor as I know how easily these things break...

Ummm... Don't know what else to say right now. Except maybe that I have considered getting a cheaper 4wd truggy/truck to start such as the Twin Detonator then decided I would probably spend as much on little upgrade as these two are to start and then likely reach a ceiling where too much has to be replaced to feel it worthwhile.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Advil

Default RE: E-Maxx or E-Savage for bashing

Both are great monster trucks from what i hear, but the new E-Maxx has something that is extremely appealing; it is water resistant. Its market (parts) support is great, so future upgrades should be a breeze. I am not sure about the E-Savage, but the E-Maxx has a brushless-ready transmission. I don't think you could go wrong with either truck, but I would give the edge to the E-Maxx.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
kazakore

Yeah I had vaguely considered the water proof thing but I don't intend to try driving it through too many lakes and from looking over the blurb and images on their website the HPI seemed maybe of a slightly hardier build, but there really seemed to be very little difference in it. Sure I end up getting it wet at some point though. Guessing the Traxxas ESC is speced high enough for a upgraded motor or two though yeah? It would be pointless going for a waterproofed machine, decide I would like a little more speed or torque and then this requiring a new ESC anyway.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:09 PM
ChuckDeez

If you want more speed and torque, I would recommend the s600 motors. After that is brushless.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Always Dreamin

I like the E-maxx better. I think It's an overall nicer truck. The E-savage is supposidly very durable (great for bashing) and is quite a bit cheaper RTR then the E-maxx. If you have the money, E-maxx, If your more buget based, E-Savage.

Next time, DO A SEARCH!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:24 PM
ThreePointThree

Hey, ive got them both, and i would say your pretty well off with either truck. The E-Maxx is slightly more fun to drive because of the peppyness and the 2 speeds, but the savage is a little faster top end.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
PedeBeater

Welcome to the forums, there has already been atleast 10 of these threads so next time do a search please.

I have an e-savage and am perfectly happy with it, although I never ran it stock, so I couldn't tell you much about stock speed.

They are both good trucks, it is up to you.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 PM
novakmaxx

the new e-maxx is good.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:50 AM
kazakore

I spent a couple of weeks or more reading what I could on this and another RC forums and that's pretty much how I got it down to those two trucks. If this forum wasn't so gay as to force you to register to search maybe I would of remembered that I hadn't of done so yet and only read threads I had found by clicking back through the pages in the appropriate forums.

At least it's not quite as bad as some where you can't even read without registering though. But I do think disabling searching from people who haven't registered is f***ing anal and you are shooting yourselves in the foot with that.

Thanks to all those that have voted and made useful comments though. Was thinking they're very close to same price then realised it's not just £20 as the HPI comes with batteries and charger for that, whereas the Traxxas does not. Seems most of you think it is worth the money but the HPI is still a very good truck. Hmmm not sure I've really brought my thoughts on much further...

Anyway now I've actually registered rather than just lurking and reading I'll do some more deep searching over the forums. I choose this one to actually register to as it seems to get the most traffic and have people who really do know what they're talking about.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

I would go with the new E-maxx. Its a real beast.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Reseg
My Feedback: (1)

For me...

-I have a great charger and have no need for the Esavage one

-I always want 30-45+ mins run time per pack so the batteries included with the Esavage are of no use to me (especially since I want BL/LiPo)

-I want a 40MPH top end with a lot of torque and the Emaxx can handle more power to the wheels I'm told

-I much prefer drifting to rolling over and I'm told because of larger size of the Emaxx and weight distro it not only rolls less than the Esavage, but can more easily be modified to not roll over and still have ground clearance of a stadium truck or more

Some other benefits to the Emaxx that might benefit me:

-I've read it's design makes it easier to work on in many ways
-It's made to deal with water better, nearly waterproof stock, however I would be going BL
-It's more popular meaning higher sales and more aftermarket companies building parts for it

As for the Esavage, if you are on a budget, need a fully RTR truck with a charger, it seems the only reason to go with the Esavage and you'll be very happy since it's very tough as well.

That's how I see it and if I'm wrong on any of those points, please correct me . The only thing holding me off for an Emaxx purchase is waiting for either the MMM to be released and reviewed or Traxxas to release a BL version and see the reviews.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Lilredmachine

I've had both, and I'm afraid the E-savage is just the better truck. It's cheaper, faster out of the box, doesn't have an overly complicated gearbox to let go and is tougher for general bashing. You can make any electric vehicle waterproof, just get busy with the damn silicone. My E-maxx has transformed into a low cg chassis running, buggy steering setup using, revo gearbox utilising, brushless running hybrid that will annihilate most truggies in a straight line or around a track. But only because it was pants out of the box. The E-savage is just ballsy and more powerful stock, and you can get aftermarket chassis plates to stretch it if it isn't big enough for you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61655.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	868135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97664.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	868136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66774.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	868137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81828.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	868138   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10682.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	868139  
Old 02-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Reseg

ORIGINAL: Lilredmachine

I've had both, and I'm afraid the E-savage is just the better truck. It's cheaper, faster out of the box, doesn't have an overly complicated gearbox to let go and is tougher for general bashing. You can make any electric vehicle waterproof, just get busy with the damn silicone. My E-maxx has transformed into a low cg chassis running, buggy steering setup using, revo gearbox utilising, brushless running hybrid that will annihilate most truggies in a straight line or around a track. But only because it was pants out of the box. The E-savage is just ballsy and more powerful stock, and you can get aftermarket chassis plates to stretch it if it isn't big enough for you.

You had the new 3905 E-Maxx that just started shipping like 6 weeks ago? Or the old E-Maxx?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:10 PM
DriftingDragon

emaxx all the way
Old 02-02-2008, 09:55 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Ive had all three and the new 16.8 emaxx is better than the esavage in every way but price. Its quicker, handles better, is bigger, is just as fast, is more durable, has a bigger aftermarket and parts support. The battery hold downs are easier to use, the chassis is designed much better, its easier to work on. It has a much lower center of gravity, the dual steering servos are better and stronger, its waterproof right out of the box, no need to make it so and then have issues if you do it wrong or need warranty work.

The e-savage is more of a 4wd stampede sized truck than an e-maxx sized truck.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
cheech4

for the price the e-savage sport is the best MT in the market.

as far as the new e-maxx its only stronger in the drive train, but the savvy can be upgraded to match it, every where else its at par with the savvy.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:23 AM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: cheech4

for the price the e-savage sport is the best MT in the market.

as far as the new e-maxx its only stronger in the drive train, but the savvy can be upgraded to match it, every where else its at par with the savvy.
If you say so, but upgrading the entire drivetrain will eat alot of that extra money the e-maxx costs. The maxx is brushless ready out of the box, from the brand new lighter and stronger tranny, to completely updated axles, diffs, etc.

The e-savage is by no means a bad truck, but imo the new Emaxx is better and its more than enough better to warrant the extra cost.

In any event, if you want to decide between the two, go to a hobby shop that has both and look at them in person.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:47 AM
calvino

well, the savy is tough as nails, and as ceech said, great deal, only drawbacks (IMO) are:
lack of upgrade parts at the moment (RPM, LISTENING)
ESC can only handle 2x, 7 cell packs
battery compartments look real good at overheatin ya batteries
they can't take S by S packs
how in the heck are you gettin a 7 cell to fit in it
er, TVP make it a bit hard to work on
ONLY COMPLAINT IN REVIEW, charger, can't be DC operated (wow, big dealie)
those are my only things
EMAXX
TOWERS ARE TRASH
ARMS ARE TRASH (RPM EM BOTH)
weighs more
got more complaints than savy (bumper screws bend easy, arms and towers are a joke, shocks are not so great, heavy, things like that), so, ya pick, for $350 ya get the h20 proof maxx, but to be bash worthy it needs more $$$$$$$$ dumped in, or for a few $$$ less ya get a ready to bash out of the box truck, ya pick, not mine[8D]
Old 02-03-2008, 07:33 AM
kazakore

(Anyway I've search properly now and few threads since the new E-Maxx came out and no polls to get a clear view of people's standpoint from what I could see.) Didn't realise quite how new the new e-maxx was...

First half of the thread had me leaning towards the Savvy (seemed people were saying it was more durable and it's symmetrical layout make me think it would be more stable for jumps but seems people are saying the opposite now)but now think I'll probably go for the E-Maxx, although it may change if a bargain comes along on ebay. Had already decided the batteries that come with the Savvy will be junk and we have 2 chargers in the house already (although a third one, that does two batteries at a time, wouldn't be a bad think.)

People seem to be saying that Traxxas is more popular, with more sales and thus having better availability of parts and after sales support. Now I'm guessing the majority of the people on here are from the States whereas I'm in the UK. From looking around over the last month or so I feel I've seen more spares and hop-ups for the HPI Savage (although still a respectable amount for the Traxxas.) Is this something that should be a major consideration? Anybody got direct experience from teh UK?

I would also be interested to know why Calvino says the E-Maxx would need more dollar to make it bash-worthy though. Surely it's just as bashable out of the box, no?

And there isn't a similar option that comes as a kit is there? I actually like the process of building it yourself and it really does mean you'll know your car better when you come to repair it for the first time.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Reseg

ORIGINAL: kazakore
I would also be interested to know why Calvino says the E-Maxx would need more dollar to make it bash-worthy though. Surely it's just as bashable out of the box, no?
I think a lot of people are confusing the old emaxx with the new one. I get confused myself on the various forums including The emaxx section on the Traxxas.com forums because some people are talking old, others new. The only true complaint I can verify about the new emaxx from its users is that a few are getting bad ESCs that die on them.

I guess I could understand some people saying it's heavy as compared to the savage, but it's because it's beefier in some areas and bigger so of course it'll weigh more.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:39 AM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: calvino

EMAXX
TOWERS ARE TRASH
ARMS ARE TRASH (RPM EM BOTH)
weighs more
got more complaints than savy (bumper screws bend easy, arms and towers are a joke, shocks are not so great, heavy, things like that), so, ya pick, for $350 ya get the h20 proof maxx, but to be bash worthy it needs more $$$$$$$$ dumped in, or for a few $$$ less ya get a ready to bash out of the box truck, ya pick, not mine[8D]
Just an fyi, the shock towers and a-arms are different between the old and new e-maxx. The a-arms are no less durable than any other brand monster truck. If you crash into a poll or do alot of carthweels with a 10lb truck you will break one from time to time.

Let me clarify - THE NEW EMAXX NEEDS NOTHING TO BE BASHWORTHY.

If any of them need work its the e-savage, there is a reaon people replace hte stock axles with e-maxx ones.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

I dont even get why their are these threads??? The new e-maxx and the E-savy are completely different.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Reseg

ORIGINAL: Takedown

I dont even get why their are these threads??? The new e-maxx and the E-savy are completely different.
There are threads comparing the two because these two are probably the largest 4WD electric trucks you can get that are capable of very high speeds, well constructed, mass produced with parts support @ your LHS. If there were any mass produced 1/8th electric buggies, they would probably be included in the comparisons as well.

For me, I love my T4 FT, but I would like to have something with a little more ground clearance, 4WD, that can move high speeds and do jumps without being extremely top heavy... right now these appear to be by far the best two choices that have easy to get parts in the US.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Lilredmachine

WELL DURABLE INNIT.

The E-maxx has never been durable, and never will be. You could spend hundreds of dollars on the old one just replacing standard parts when they let go, most of the heavyweight aluminium maxxes were built out of necessity rather than want. I've already seen 2 examples of the new E-maxx shattered entirely in two. Here's a pic of one.

Nice. Never seen an E-savage do that.

The drivetrain may hold up to decent amounts of power, but the plastic is the same old traxxas swiss cheese. The E-savage was a hotbodies original design and just doesn't break like that. Only thing I ever did to mine was pop a shock cap, and that did a series of unlimited monster class racing, getting t-boned by MTA-4s and Mammoths. I boiled my shafts and shimmed the diffs and never had a problem, even on 600s and 14 cells.

Response to the lack of aftermarket is that there isn't one. You can deck the truck out in aluminium and carbon fibre if you want, you just gotta know where to find it. Same with extended TVPs etc.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:10 PM
04DarkShadowGT

WELL DURABLE INNIT.

The E-maxx has never been durable, and never will be. You could spend hundreds of dollars on the old one just replacing standard parts when they let go, most of the heavyweight aluminium maxxes were built out of necessity rather than want. I've already seen 2 examples of the new E-maxx shattered entirely in two. Here's a pic of one.

Nice. Never seen an E-savage do that.

The drivetrain may hold up to decent amounts of power, but the plastic is the same old traxxas swiss cheese. The E-savage was a hotbodies original design and just doesn't break like that. Only thing I ever did to mine was pop a shock cap, and that did a series of unlimited monster class racing, getting t-boned by MTA-4s and Mammoths. I boiled my shafts and shimmed the diffs and never had a problem, even on 600s and 14 cells.

Response to the lack of aftermarket is that there isn't one. You can deck the truck out in aluminium and carbon fibre if you want, you just gotta know where to find it. Same with extended TVPs etc.
Well I cant comment on how that picture happend. But seeing as how it is brushless, runs lipe, has RPM a-arms and aluminum bulk heads. My guess would be the driver was running it really fast and ran into something. With stronger a-arms and bulk heads, it has to break somewhere.

I dont care what you are driving you can and probbaly will break it if you hit stuff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.