Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
do you break your b44 alot?
31.25%
do you break your b44 a little?
31.25%
do you have zx-5?
37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you break your b44?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 PM
hummer11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you break your b44?

I am thinking of getting a b44 vs a zx-5 sp but i heard the upper deck on the b44 is bad and other stuff
Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 PM
rymansl2

Default RE: How many of you break your b44?

From what I've heard the zx-5 holds up better and doesn't break as much. Its not completely carbon fiber so that makes sense.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 PM
ElectricGuy007

Nope your wrong. The lazer breaks more often so you must be easy with it.
My cousin broke at the second heat so I beat his lazer by 10 laps with my B44.
He did that to prove a point that the lazer ZX5 is as fragile as they come and is for the expert experienced mod-4 wheel drivers.
The B44 can be driven by anyone without any break issues unless you slap a wall at 40 MPH, kinda sideways, you'll never break the B44.
The lazer breaks usually on a tripple, I've never broke my B44 on a tripple jump, unless I landed wrong, then I broke a 2 dollar front a-arm.

I usually break at a big 10 car main with lots of cars on the track at once.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Checkpointracer

ORIGINAL: B44&501xRacerEX

He did that to prove a point that the lazer ZX5 is as fragile as they come and is for the expert experienced mod-4 wheel drivers.
The B44 can be driven by anyone without any break issues unless you slap a wall at 40 MPH, kinda sideways, you'll never break the B44.
The lazer breaks usually on a tripple, I've never broke my B44 on a tripple jump, unless I landed wrong, then I broke a 2 dollar front a-arm.

I've seen atleast two b44's break without having horrible crashes from what I saw.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:16 AM
hummer11

would the b44 break less than a xxx-4?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:44 AM
MT

I would take everything around here with a grain of salt. You have no idea what some of these people are doing with their cars(NOT directed at the posters in this thread). AND, everyone has a friend of friend that heard about a car breaking, so they go tell it on the mountain.
I recently went to my local and track, and there was a couple people in most groups, bouncing off the pipes, walls, other cars, and landing repeatdly in the face of the next jump. I am no racer either, and I NOT making fun of those people above, but most likely some of them will piss and moan about how weak their car is, and buy another car, because they think it will make them a better racer.

I think the 4wd AE, Losi, Kyosho are good cars, you should go to your local track and find out what they are running and why. If you run what the majority are running, you will have loads of help with setup and a good chance of being able to buy/borrow a part to get you by for the race.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:05 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: B44&501xRacerEX

nope your wrong, the ZX5 sp is more durable than the B44, and i am getting this info from racers forums.. it is also a smoother racer handles the ruff stuff better and lands better of jumps.. overall the zx5 SP is just plain BETTER.. but the b44 is no slouch either it is a very capable racer with the right set of hands..
Old 02-26-2008, 03:17 PM
ElectricGuy007

Sorry Cheech I thought you meant the original Lazer ZX5. Not the new version.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM
hummer11

well i love all the carbon fiber on the b44 but the zx-5 sp seems better i could upgrade to carbon fiber on the sp but then i would add up an i might as well get a 501x. i guess it is better to get a car that preforms better than to get a car that looks better.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
J.D.T

The 4wd class has always been brutal as the cars are faster and can do things and take lines you normally wouldn't try, I have seen both zx 5s and b 44s win and crash out broken so sorry no answer, If this is going to be your first 4wd then I would say get a cheaper tamiya and learn to drive on it, even if you are a good racer in mod buggy and truck the 4wd is another planet so to say, I always thought it looked easier for guys to go from on road 4 wd to dirt 4wd than it was for them to go from 2wd dirt to 4wd dirt.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
hummer11

i have never raced i justsold my xxx-4 g+ i go to the track every weekend and i might srart racing but i dont want to buy parts every week. i havent broke the xxx-4 for a while ....... about 3 weeks. i love the b44 because of the carbon and the price i just dont the upper deck to break every weekend. i have mostly nimhs that can be made into saddle packs. i also like the standard losi hex on theb44 ( im am cheap and i want to use my exisisting set of losi tires)

also almost everyone runs b44s at my track which is pretty smoothe

i will be running a novak velocity 4.5
Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 PM
rlem00

Only thing I've broken was a front A-arm. I've replaced my ball cups with RPM but still need to do my steering servo (I've got a few that I can cut down to make work for now). I had a nut get loose on a front wheel and the hub is starting to strip now. I have not been gentle with the car. Closest track is about an hour from me and with my wife working weekends and two kids, most of my running is at my house or the local BMX track. I've cartwheeled it several time and came away with stars. I just ordered some J Concepts wheels for it and am trying to decide what tires to get. I'm wanting to get some that work well on the street and off road just to get more life out of them. In the description on the wheels it looks like a set of front's contain 4 wheels and a set of rear is 4 wheels, I hope I read that right. Any suggestions on tires would be nice. I'm going to run my current wheels until they are not good anymore then switch.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 PM
hummer11

well thats good to see a basher/track b44

seems pretty good for the way you treated it

there are not too many track/street tires

try the proline dirthawgs for 4wd buggy i had them but they are noot too good on a packed track they are good on loose dirt

same thing with losi ifmar studs but they re a little better on the track also bow ties last pretty long. holeshot are just for hard pack track and dont last too long on street
Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 PM
rlem00

I'm really happy with the car overall. It's been about 20 years since I got my first and there is a huge difference between now and then. I'd like to get to a track and test my skill against other drivers. I learned to shoot by going out in the pasture and plinking cow patties...when I shot at a target much easier. It would be interesting to see if it translates at this too
Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Jesse101

i have yet to break my B44, any 10th scale offroad buggy can break, the goal should be not to crash!

i would highly suggest for you to head to your local track, see what the fast guys are winning with, most of the people on forums would boast whtever they have.

any one of these kits are capable, if you think the B44 isnt capable, then you have to ask yourself how is it able to win the worlds, or better yet win races across the country at many levels?

they did not design the kit to be indestructible, they designed the kit towards performance and durability, this does not mean you can plow into a wall going 30 mph. if you want something that was designed for allot of abuse, then look into a Jato or whatever they are called now and days lol

Old 02-27-2008, 06:19 AM
hummer11

ya well i dont crach too much i just dont want it to break if i land wron almost everyone at my track runs them and i have not seen any break
Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 AM
J.D.T

coming from graphite losi both will be more durable, it was the most fragile off road car I have ever owned, the b44 will more than likely become a legend and win multiple world titles, the zx5 will be another great one in a long histored line of good 4wd buggies and will win thousands of club races even against the "legendary" b44s
Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 AM
svavrek

so, from this post, it appears that the carbon fiber is not the best way to go and the B44 isnt the top choice in buggies? Im stuck between THAT or a Losi XXX-4... When you guys say the B44 upper decks break, how do they break? HItting things? landing jumps? curb/wall hits? torque stress?? Please elaborate, as it may help me decide which buggy to get!
Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Jesse101

people break because they crash, a kit just doesnt break just by driving it.

i over shoot jumps, land wrong or over steer into turns, that wont cause your B44 to break. i personally think you can lay any kit in the hands of anybody and it will break.

you need to look for what suites your style of driving, and the only way to find that out is by going to your local track and see what everybody is driving and why.

i chose the B44 cause i know people who race successfully with this kit, i was able to drive it and get a feel for the car prior to.