Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Might be wrong forum but i am pissed

Old 03-17-2008, 04:02 AM
ftt4maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be wrong forum but i am pissed

I was a huge support your local hobby shop guy until saturday. I have only once ever bought anything from tower hobbies, even though i know i can get it cheaper there. I have spent 10s of thousands of dollars at one of my local hobby shops, and a ton at the other one. I have brought 40 to 50 people into these hobby shops who have spent thousands of dollars. I have never once argued with any employees, and always paid, without even saying i could get stuff cheaper somewhere else. I have spent over 2000 dollars this year so far.
I went to my 2nd hobby shop 3 weeks ago and bought a spectrum 3.0 radio system, only to find out by horizon that it was a used radio and looks like it had been replaced, probably by the lhs for another customer that broke that one. Then pawned off on me. Lhs denies any wrongdoing.
My primary hobby shop this last sat, I call up to order parts, knowing i can get them cheaper and faster online, but wanting to support lhs, They tell me i need to drive 45 minutes up there pay for the parts first and then wait for 10 days to get them in, and then drive 45 minutes to go get them. They say they have new policy in affect. Well guess what, tower hobbies is my new local hobby shop.
The paying first part didnt bother me, its the fact that over 15 years i have spent way more for parts than i needed to to support them, i have ordered thousands of parts without paying first. In fact they have parts coming in this week for me that i havent paid for yet, and even though its not how i conduct myself, I am pretty sure i will just order from somewhere else.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:48 AM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Might be wrong forum but i am pissed

Your LHS sounds as bad as mine is.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Longhair

Were you able to get your money back from the used radio? If not, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau ( http//www.bbb.org )

Since the other shop has a new policy in effect, did you tell them your new policy
Old 03-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: ftt4maniac
I went to my 2nd hobby shop 3 weeks ago and bought a spectrum 3.0 radio system, only to find out by horizon that it was a used radio and looks like it had been replaced, probably by the lhs for another customer that broke that one. Then pawned off on me. Lhs denies any wrongdoing.
Again this is where you need to take it up with the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) and the organizations that work the customer like the BBB (Better Business Bureau). If a shop sells you a non-functioning item, unless you waived that right in writing, you have the right to return it in exchange for a full refund, or an item of the same type (that works). Within 90 days in most states. If the store tells you to deal with the manufacturer/distributor, and the distributor said it was not an officially sanctioned item, if you bought it through a credit card call up the credit card company and get them to cancel the charge. Otherwise deal with the authorities, consumer fraud, police, etc. One of these guys should be able to tell you what your next step should be. And be sure to make a point of this with Horizon, write them a letter of what happened at the shop and that they should stop doing business with that (dishonest) LHS so that they don't end up cheating more customers. If they are trying to re-sell counterfeit / broken product the distributor needs to know about that, that is what distributors do... if one of their customers isn't behaving, they stop giving them the official product altogether and take them off the 'preferred stores' list (the ones listed in the center of the Horizon catalog).
Old 03-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I go to my hobby shops for fuel and basically maintenance items. Most hobby shop workers are pretty crappy and could care less whether you walk out satisfied or not. I used to frequent this hobby shop in Utah when I lived there. They head great selection, but 5/7 guys were total aholes.

I want to support my local shops but I find it difficult. Most of the good brick and mortar shops actually have web store fronts anyways.

Also look into A Main Hobbies. They are awesome and I believe on par with Tower for customer support, sales and availability. Plus A Main covers Horizon (aka Sportwerks, Losi), so that is a huge benefit.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I let nature takes its course.. if it is not competitive, it probably shouldn't / won't survive.. free market..

Same thing w/ my LHS.. I tried to go there a few times and their attitude was really just "yeah, don't have that, won't have that, don't care, cause you are not our targetting crowd that's bashing nitros.."

I do 99% of my shopping online.. Tower, Ultimate, etc. I ordered things online, 2-3 days later, they showed up at my door step..
Old 03-17-2008, 11:14 AM
nauticar

I was a huge support your local hobby shop guy until saturday. I have only once ever bought anything from tower hobbies, even though i know i can get it cheaper there. I have spent 10s of thousands of dollars at one of my local hobby shops, and a ton at the other one. I have brought 40 to 50 people into these hobby shops who have spent thousands of dollars. I have never once argued with any employees, and always paid, without even saying i could get stuff cheaper somewhere else. I have spent over 2000 dollars this year so far.
My primary hobby shop this last sat, I call up to order parts, knowing i can get them cheaper and faster online, but wanting to support lhs, They tell me i need to drive 45 minutes up there pay for the parts first and then wait for 10 days to get them in, and then drive 45 minutes to go get them. They say they have new policy in affect. Well guess what, tower hobbies is my new local hobby shop.
The paying first part didnt bother me, its the fact that over 15 years i have spent way more for parts than i needed to to support them, i have ordered thousands of parts without paying first. In fact they have parts coming in this week for me that i havent paid for yet, and even though its not how i conduct myself, I am pretty sure i will just order from somewhere else.
gee that sucks man. i wouldnt feel i was treated right - especially if i spent quite a bit on my lhs. 15 years is a LONG time.

im not a business owner but i heard this somewhere; that for businesses in general, most of the dough dont come in from the one-time big spenders, it comes from the regular customers.

your primary lhs sounds like some of my lhs - they think the intertubes dont exist. my lhs-es can charge me 120% of what i can get online, + shipping. worst case was when i first started out - the official futaba distributor where i live wanted twice as much money for a 2PL than what i would have paid for from HK.

i do wonder how new or small spenders get treated in your primary LHS. its weird.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

That sounds like the local Hobby Town. I used to order my parts thru them until they started charging me for them at the time of the order. Now I order my parts thru a different LHS becasue they only charge you when your parts are in.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:26 AM
robicon

Sorry to hear that.

FWIW, at least you have an LHS available to you.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:29 AM
ryuhito

It is nice to have the LHS available when I want to just look around for a while or buy paint or glue. Otherwise I buy online. And eBay is my first stop, you have multiple vendors offering the product and you can get better prices.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:19 PM
heta peta

I hate to say this but SOME of the employees at my lhs don't know s_ _ _! They should just say, keep shopping at tower hobbies. ha ha ha
Old 03-17-2008, 01:20 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have two LHSs within reasonable distance from me, and so far i've had pretty good luck. the biggest problem i have is with selection. one of the stores is a cramped building without much of anything, and the other is absolutely HUGE. but the problem with the big one is that about 90% of the store is dedicated to other hobby products, mostly model trains. and in both shops, the RC car section is almost exclusively devoted to Traxxas. [:@] at least most of their prices are the same as Tower, before coupon of course. i realize they can't keep everything in stock, but it does make it hard when i can get it faster from Tower and for less.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:25 PM
04DarkShadowGT

How is it possible that it takes 10 days to get parts? Most places I have been is 3 business days max for in stock stufff.

Sucks you are having issues but I wouldnt have spent thousands with a shopt that takes 10 days to get me parts.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:46 PM
hands without shadows

I would give them one more chance and go in and have a word with the owner. You should know him pretty well by now if you have spent that much money and he should know that you are trustworthy. Let them know that placing an order with them and having to wait for it to come in is complete BS and you can do the same thing yourself online for cheaper.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:16 PM
ftt4maniac

I would like to give them one more chance, but i dont think that i will. 15 years of my service there, i have never once asked for a deal, always paid what they were asking, they have never once said hey since you buy tons of stuff from us and have brought tons of people to us, we are going to give you a 10% discount on a new truck, even though i could have bought it online for less than even there discount price, It would have made me feel better. I really feel sorry for them, that is no way to conduct business, and they are the ones that are going to pay in the long run.
The owner of the place doesnt even wotk there, he is retired. I had a call today on my lunch break from one of the guys that work there and he apologized to me, but said that ther are new rules in place because they are getting to many people ordering stuff and not coming in to pay for it. I still dont know how that affected my relationship with them.
As for my spectrum problem, there is no clear cut way to prove that i was robbed. And i am not one to take revenge on them for screwing me. What goes around comes around, come to think of it, i have been screwed over by that hobby shop before
I sit back now and think, why did i pay 625 dollars for my 2 novak brushless systems.
249 dollars for my factory team t4
199 dollars for my stampede
260 dollars for a broken spectrum system
105 dollars for a vision peak ultra charger
135 dollars for a venom 5000 mah lipo pack
95 dollars for 30 series dirt hawgs and rims
in the past 3 months
I could have saved more than 170 dolars buying on line plus save on gas money.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:25 PM
beenbreto

wow man tough day just be lucky that you have a lhs to get advice and feedback from i live in germany and im finaly finding hobby shops and now im moveing to another part of germany crapy huh? lol but i would be irate if they sold me a used radio i even get mad if i buy the floor model at full price after thousands of peopl play with it. but i would have it out with the owner dude good luck!!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:37 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

The local shops by me are actually pretty good at what they do. I've got a mom and pop shop near me that has decent prices and they actually know their stuff.

On the other hand I've got a Hobby Town USA near me that is filled with a bunch of morons. I've been there twice to buy a servo (for two different vehicles) and both times they didn't have a standard servo in stock and couldn't match one up for me. Instead they gave me the run around telling me that they need part numbers to find the right one. Then I goto my local mom and pop shop and they pull out the correct servo in thirty seconds. I think the problem with Hobby Town is that they hire people who aren't into this hobby and are just looking for a job.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:34 PM
ftt4maniac

The really sad part is i have about 45 dollars worth of parts that are due in this week, and they wouldnt order me a 5 dollar servo case, thus ruining my business there. I ordered my parts through tower on saturday, saved about 10 dollars, and will have them wednesday, 2 days before my lhs was to have them.
I am not about to get in an arguement with these people, when they dont get my thousands of dollars. i will have made my point.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:23 PM
magnat

Hell my Hobby Store bends over backwards to get me what I need... even if it is to drive 3 hours away to get parts for me on the same day !!

Hobby stores usually do charge more as they are like you and me, they have over heads that are alot higher then a chain store like ....... Walmart or Radioshack.

It may not be financially Viable for them to place an Order for a $5 part if the postage alone on that part is going to be $15... Most Hobby stores order in bulk and wait for the order levels to come up before they order anything... Some Companies require Cash upfront.... FROM YOUR LHS before they will even process an Order and if they don't have the cash then they can't order your parts...

Sure, I can understand if your LHS has the Items you want on the shelf and they charge you more then the Ticket price because they have'nt done price updates, then I wouldn't go there either...
Old 03-17-2008, 07:36 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: drevil

The local shops by me are actually pretty good at what they do. I've got a mom and pop shop near me that has decent prices and they actually know their stuff.

On the other hand I've got a Hobby Town USA near me that is filled with a bunch of morons. I've been there twice to buy a servo (for two different vehicles) and both times they didn't have a standard servo in stock and couldn't match one up for me. Instead they gave me the run around telling me that they need part numbers to find the right one. Then I goto my local mom and pop shop and they pull out the correct servo in thirty seconds. I think the problem with Hobby Town is that they hire people who aren't into this hobby and are just looking for a job.
Unless there's another one around here, you're referring to the HTUSA that's 5 minutes away from my house......

FWIW, I shop there pretty frequently, largely because it's so close, and I've had that same experience--I've given the kids working there an earful a couple times when they told me they needed a part number to find something that I could SEE hanging on the rack behind them. The owner is trying hard to improve the store though; I just go straight to her when I need something and she takes care of it. I don't count on them for much other than Traxxas Losi and AE parts and general hardware, but I'm still glad to have them there.

Kenvil's been good, too. He's always been willing to work with me when I need stuff he doesn't have on hand, and usually I have it in my hands before tower could anyway.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 PM
TheTruckingGuru

A lot of people on this forum order from Ultimate Hobbies. They are my LHS for and their prices tend to be the lowest, and there selection is good. The people who work there are very nice and cool to work with. But the owners and management are constantly making open threats to their employees in front of everyone. It seems every time I go there some one nice who is helping me is also getting management off their back for leaving something out, or going where there not supposed to, or whatever. It really sucks to hear management yell at the employee helping you and talk about their prosecution of shoplifting in a loud way while shopping. There are only a couple of good guys there and I don't think they will stay if they have any dignity. Pegasus Hobbies pissed me off before and they are sloppy with their website, ordering parts, and higher prices, but they almost make up for it by being nice and making right. They made right for me by selling me a Spektrum with a missing part, and instead of giving me a full refund, they gave full store credit 3 weeks later when I returned it. Fair enough I believe since I should have returned it earlier. Ultimate would have blown me off. Here is my policy and you are welcome to make it your own......When I bought my DX3R at Ultimate hobbies along with two receivers, I first opened up the DX3R, threw some batteries in, turned it on and tested it with an RC car I had brought in to make sure it would bind and turn the wheels etc. When I buy an RC car, I bring batteries with me so as soon as it is paid for I can power it up in store to make sure it works, then run it in the parking lot to make sure it all works before leaving. I also have them print out 2 or 3 receipts for me each time. Once you leave that store, your on your own if somethings missing or broken.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 AM
banzaij
My Feedback: (1)

Ultimate Hobbies is also my LHS. I had bad luck with a new RTR car. They took good care of me. They pulled a car from stock and swapped my burned out ESC with the new one so I would not have to send the car back. Then the 2nd ESC died within a day (not their fault). They agreed to give me a discount on an aftermarket ESC. allowing me to choose whatever I wanted (including a BL conversion). They could have just told me to contact the manufacturer at that point, but gave me another option. My only issue has been getting someone on the phone when you want to verify they have something you want in stock. Most resources are consumed by dealing with all of the in-store traffic.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:17 AM
ekimusman2

i have one hobby shop nearby that really is full of some overly cocky dudes who aren't open to helping people/doing anything but making money (it's Megatech's official office/shop located in new jersey) and ANOTHER small one right around the block pretty much with just one owner/operator and the usual gang of guys just hangin out tunin their cars and boats and if it weren't for how open and kind the guys at the smaller hobby shop were to me when i was getting into rc, i may have just given up on this hobby

these guys help me out for the sake of helping me out. when i was a kid, the owner wouldn't even charge me for minor repairs. it's really cool to have some people who are into seeing their customers happy. now i'm twenty two and i spend a huge chunk of my money there and have brought the small shop tons of business (and openly diss the megatech HQ, which is FULL OF IDIOTS.)

hooray for good people
boo to the crappy
Old 03-18-2008, 11:36 AM
mrbonez

i have had a couple bad run ins with the lhs here but i couldnt live without them but i have learned this always know exactly what you need part number , what it looks like, and what size it is. i have got the wrong parts lots of times actully i have about 10 parts in my box that i have no ideah what they fit LoL but the smaller lhs near me is great they hire people that really dont know much about rc but they always let me look around all i want to heck 1 time the guy at the lhs (mom and pop like) said to come "come on back behind the counter cause you know what you need better then me" i love the small guy hobby shop
Old 03-18-2008, 12:02 PM
rchotrodz

I have never had a problem with my lhs they will order things for me without having me pay first heck I have even went there and got some parts for my truck right before they close and they will tell me take the part and come back when it is convenient for me and pay knowing that I will they are always keeping people happy...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.