Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 AM
toxotis70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

What is the right link for the batteries ?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8973&Product_Name=ZIPPY_ Flightmax_4000mAh_2S1P_25C_(DE_Warehouse)

They are always out of stock !!!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:44 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats because they are such a good deal.....the link you have is for the german warehouse....here is one for the hong kong warehouse but they are out too.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...25C_Car_Lipoly

Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM
michajas

Yeah, I managed to win the auction on Mamba Max 7700  I't should arrive tomorrow, also I've bought 16/48 pinion today for it, hope it will be ok. 
I was wondering, since my motor will have more power and the pinion is smaller could I use bigger wheels? I have set of 140x56 wheels and I'm curious how it would behave on them
Old 05-27-2009, 11:29 AM
kilimats

ORIGINAL: michajas

Yeah, I managed to win the auction on Mamba Max 7700I't should arrive tomorrow, also I've bought 16/48 pinion today for it, hope it will be ok.
I was wondering, since my motor will have more power and the pinion is smaller could I use bigger wheels? I have set of 140x56 wheels and I'm curious how it would behave on them
Bigger wheel means coil damage since they are taking all the impact on jump landing (more clearance = less body hit)

So if you decide to go that route, I would recommend upgrading to alu coils

Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 AM
redfisher1974

the best thing you can do is get a temp gauge and play with pinions and tires untill you get it to run around 120f to 150f.......
Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 PM
SuKeZ

ORIGINAL: kilimats

ORIGINAL: michajas

Yeah, I managed to win the auction on Mamba Max 7700 I't should arrive tomorrow, also I've bought 16/48 pinion today for it, hope it will be ok.
Bigger wheel means coil damage since they are taking all the impact on jump landing (more clearance = less body hit)

So if you decide to go that route, I would recommend upgrading to alu coils
+1...bigger wheels = more problems, but once you try them it's really hard to go back to smaller ones. I've [link=http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/item/TRX-3669-Traxxas-Talon-Tyres-Pre-Glued-On-All-Star-Chrome-Wheels-12mm-Hex-Fit-__271f/]2,8'' wheels[/link] and I love them - much better clearance and together with Gyro and stiffer rear shocks they are incredible. Also stiffer shocks helps hold motor not touching the ground during jumps. Just have to be more careful/easy on throttle when bashin' and you can avoid a lot of troubles IMO
Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 PM
kilimats

ORIGINAL: SuKeZ

ide to go that route, I would recommend upgrading to alu coils
+1...bigger wheels = more problems, but once you try them it's really hard to go back to smaller ones. I've [link=http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/item/TRX-3669-Traxxas-Talon-Tyres-Pre-Glued-On-All-Star-Chrome-Wheels-12mm-Hex-Fit-__271f/]2,8'' wheels[/link] and I love them - much better clearance and together with Gyro and stiffer rear shocks they are incredible. Also stiffer shocks helps hold motor not touching the ground during jumps. Just have to be more careful/easy on throttle when bashin' and you can avoid a lot of troubles IMO
[/quote]

Imight go that route too i think

COuld you share with us the part you have to run bigger wheel? and where to get them if possible

Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 PM
SuKeZ

Hi guys, I just have to share with you my first experience with my new brushless motor [link=http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors/036-V2.htm#MR036050XXXX-3]MedUSA MR-036-050-4800V2-3F[/link]. I running CC MambaMax with 5700kV motor (17t pinion gear - but I've learned later on that it is more to 19t as I've 2,8'' wheels) and it goes really hot quite fast - so I decided to find "real" 540 motor as CC one is 380 in 540 can (shame on them!). So I ordered MedUSA and guys - it's huge difference! Firstly I changed pinion to 19t (still 2,8'' wheels) and tried appx 10-15 minz of full throttle - break - full throttle on pavement and grass too and temerature? 50°C - lukewarm motor! Second thing I've tried was low speed cruisin' With CC 5700kV it was pain when You wanna ride up hill slowly and with MedUSA it is very close to sensored systems - off course it can't beat sensored systems in smooth slow motion! Once I'll do more test I'll let you know

some of our offroadin'
Old 05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
redfisher1974

Sounds good...Keep us posted.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:22 PM
SuKeZ

ORIGINAL: SuKeZ
ORIGINAL: kilimats
I might go that route too i think

COuld you share with us the part you have to run bigger wheel? and where to get them if possible
Sure...All you need are these [link=http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/item/TRX-3654-Wheel-hubs-hex-tall-offset-Rustler-Stampede-front-2-axle-pins-2-5x12mm-2__223c/]Traxxas Rustler/Stampede wheel hubs[/link] - they fits OK. About the 2,8'' traxxas wheels - do not forget to buy 12mm Hex Fit ones for rear and fron too! What I also recommend is to glue up rear wheel lock nuts (I use HPI T/L) as they've tendency to screw out.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:52 AM
Rodx

Hi !

Do you know if it is possible to put a motor heatsink (without cooling fan) on an E-Firestorm ? If it is could you please let me know which kind of models ? Isn't it possible to have pictures ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM
redfisher1974

Sure can here are pics of mine....off of ebay its for a tamiya TL01.....it will fit in perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79154.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1208261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88174.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1208262  
Old 05-30-2009, 07:09 AM
michajas

Red, what tyres do you have on that photos? They look cool.Where can Iget them?
Old 05-31-2009, 06:03 AM
redfisher1974

They are Pro-Line dirt works.....great tire grips like gule an any surface....link below for tower...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXUM92

Old 05-31-2009, 03:53 PM
michajas

thanks red!
Well today I've tested my new mamba 7700! on 16Tpinion and stock spur it's crazy faaaas (much more than 50mph ) maybe I'll post some movie later. But Ineed to gear down to 15T Ithink because motor after ride is hot.

Added photos of motor and the car after some dirty ride
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19067.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1209576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22478.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1209577  
Old 06-01-2009, 12:05 PM
DragracerArt

I have a stoooopid question for you guys...

I just bought the E-Firestorm yesterday morning... I had a bunch of 3s/11.1 Lipo batteries from my airplanes and figured I'd try one of those instead of the 7v recommended battery.

Well... lol... all I can say is "wheelie-king"... lol It absolutely FLYS on 11.1 volts.

Anyway... not wanting to fry the factory setup, by dinner time I was back at the local hobby shop and came home with a Novak brushless system for it...http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...tem/index.html
I bought the Novak "#3000 GTB System with Velociti 3.5R motor...
Here is the motor chart... (Velociti 3.5R) www.teamnovak.com/products/brushless/motor_spec_chart.htm

and the ESC info: (GTB Racing / Brushless) www.teamnovak.com/products/esc_spec_chart/esc_spec_chart.htm

This is my first brushless experience... all my planes are just cheap Parkzone/Hobbyzone brushed setups that work on 11.1v. This Novak system says: "For 4-6 [email protected] per cell or 2s Li-po"
The guy at the local hobby shop saw my 3s 11.1v batteries when I brought them in to buy a decent charger....

My question is... Can I still run these hotter batteries in the Novak kit ? or will I burn-up my $229 brushless system ?

I don't know if I should just buy a few 2s Li-po's or if I should return the Novak stuff and look for something 3s compatible.

Your opinions are appreciated !

Thanks !

I finally bought a decent charger... I got tired of the Parkzone junk. lol

I took the fan off... hoping it may let the battery run longer... I'll keep an eye on the temps once I get it going.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:36 PM
redfisher1974

Wow nice setup.....First thing that setup is not made to run on 3s...you will fry it...second you will need to run that fan for sure and you will want a heatsink on the motor....And this is important you will need to gear that thing way down...Really that set up you put in is for a onroad car...its way too much for a ST offroad truck......Better get a temp gun and check the temps every 5 minutes so you dont de-mag the motor....

let us know how it works....myself i would bring that setup back and get the 3s havoc with the 8.5 motor....you could run the stock gearing and use your 3s battery and run around 50mph...without heat issues.....The havoc setup is $160 and comes out in a week or two....

Anyways take some vid of your storm when you run it with your 3.5.....

Old 06-01-2009, 05:07 PM
DragracerArt

Well... I took it to the local hobby shop for a little help programming the ESC... we got it running good now.

I only ran it a few laps around the huge parking lot... maybe 5mins worth of run time.

The car is almost undrivable. It will wheelie and flip over backwards at any speed with just a quick blip of the throttle.

I LOVE IT !!!!

I did pick up a Venom 7 volt 5000mah Li-po battery for it... hopefully that will tame it down a little.

Re the fan... I'll get it back on the ESC...

Old 06-01-2009, 07:24 PM
DragracerArt

I just finished running the heck out of it tonight with the 7.4 / 5000mah Venom Li-po battery...

Motor temp never went over 125 degrees... the heat sink on the esc was up around 200 degrees though... so the fan will be going back on next.

I was really surprised at how well it ran with the lower voltage battery... it really isn't much different than the 11.1 Lipos as far as "overkill" goes. On a fresh 7.4 battery, it will still wheelie and flip over at any speed... It just isn't as obnoxious as the 11.1 battery... which really can't take more than 1/2 throttle before the car wants to go over backwards. At least with the 7.4, I can slowly work my way up to full throttle... at 11.1 volts, full throttle is just out of the question... at any speed. period... makes me wish I had a radar gun... I'd LOVE to know how fast this thing was at 11.1 volts... lol

This is the battery I picked up today... Ithink I may pick up a few more of them.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
DragracerArt

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Wow nice setup.....First thing that setup is not made to run on 3s...you will fry it...second you will need to run that fan for sure and you will want a heatsink on the motor....And this is important you will need to gear that thing way down...Really that set up you put in is for a onroad car...its way too much for a ST offroad truck......Better get a temp gun and check the temps every 5 minutes so you dont de-mag the motor....

let us know how it works....myself i would bring that setup back and get the 3s havoc with the 8.5 motor....you could run the stock gearing and use your 3s battery and run around 50mph...without heat issues.....The havoc setup is $160 and comes out in a week or two....

Anyways take some vid of your storm when you run it with your 3.5.....

I suppose I could maybe swap this brushless setup into my Parkzone P51 Mustang and run it 'till the wings fold-up... heck, I'll bet it would fit in my Supercub too.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:35 AM
redfisher1974

Sounds cool...Hey if you can keep the temps down and not smoke it,Keep running it.....I would have thought it would have overheated for sure....have you ran it offroad yet? How fast do you think...must be close to 70 mph?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:55 AM
DragracerArt

Sounds cool...Hey if you can keep the temps down and not smoke it,Keep running it.....I would have thought it would have overheated for sure....have you ran it offroad yet? How fast do you think...must be close to 70 mph?
I've run it in/over just about everything... grass, dirt, street, parking lot, etc... and it's been cart-wheeled numerous times due to wheelies.

As far as speed goes ? it's anyones guess... is there a way to calculate it? The motor I'm running is a 3.5 turn / 10,500kv motor.
I'm still running the stock gears in it too...
When it whizzes by me, I can see the rear tires ballooning pretty hard. lol

The ESC did get pretty hot earlier today, but the motor was staying cool. Hopefully when I get the fan back on, it will help keep it cooler.

I don't know if I want to risk frying the ESC by running the 11.1 Li-po's in it long term. I'll stick to the 7.4 2s's for reliability.

If I can somehow come up with a radar gun, I'll throw the 11.1Li-po's in it for a top speed run... My curiosity is killing me. I never could get it over 1/2 throttle without flipping over or running out of room... so a REALLY big parking lot will be needed too. lol

Old 06-02-2009, 07:56 AM
firebox

ORIGINAL: lcb1978

After recommendation from Redfisher I ordered and have just recieved 2 x 4000mah Zippy Lipos from Hobby King (Hong Kong) price including postage to the UK was £45, They look very good and looking forward to using them!! Far cheaper then the high price brands available here! Thankyou Redfisher

ORIGINAL: firebox

Thanks red

May wait until my birthday before I switch to lipo - gonna need two packs and a charger, and there doesn't seem to be much choice in the UK, so the price is really high.

Can't wait though
Awesome, thanks for that mate. I'll get me some of those

Just put on Dirt Bonz Jr's on the back, love them. They're super soft though, so I'm done with gravel and tarmac for a while. They're holding up really well on grass and soil / dirt, so hopefully I'll not be spending £15 every 3 weeks on tyres now

Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: DragracerArt

I've run it in/over just about everything... grass, dirt, street, parking lot, etc... and it's been cart-wheeled numerous times due to wheelies.

As far as speed goes ? it's anyones guess... is there a way to calculate it? The motor I'm running is a 3.5 turn / 10,500kv motor.
I'm still running the stock gears in it too...
When it whizzes by me, I can see the rear tires ballooning pretty hard. lol

The ESC did get pretty hot earlier today, but the motor was staying cool. Hopefully when I get the fan back on, it will help keep it cooler.

I don't know if I want to risk frying the ESC by running the 11.1 Li-po's in it long term. I'll stick to the 7.4 2s's for reliability.

If I can somehow come up with a radar gun, I'll throw the 11.1Li-po's in it for a top speed run... My curiosity is killing me. I never could get it over 1/2 throttle without flipping over or running out of room... so a REALLY big parking lot will be needed too. lol

The fan will lower the esc temp about 20 degrees.......For speed tests i just borrow my buddys gps out of his truck and tie wrap it to the chassis and it will hold and tell you the top speed...
Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM
DragracerArt

For speed tests i just borrow my buddys gps out of his truck and tie wrap it to the chassis and it will hold and tell you the top speed...
That's brilliant !

I've got an extra GPS unit... maybe I'll give it a try.

I'm not so sure about accuracy though.... one of my GPS units showed a max speed of 178mph... in my '03 Chevy pickup truck... lol

I've since upgraded to an in-dash unit... I don't know where I'd be without one now. (probably lost somewhere. lol)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.