Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Ruined battery

Old 03-21-2008, 12:51 PM
ryuhito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruined battery

ARGH I'm gonna smash this dang bulb discharger. I put my brand freaking new (2 charge cycles) 4200 NIMH on the bulb discharger and promptly forgot about it. You'd think I'd get it by now, it's the 3rd batt I've done it with in 2 years. I even thought, as I walked away to grab a beverage, "Don't forget about this dang pack." So after ten minutes, I remembered, ran over and got it off. I plugged it into my Prophet and of course, the charger didn't sense it.

Any way to save the pack? I have another 4200 that must have been really low when I quit driving for the winter and it's not being sensed by the charger either.

Note: if you are spaced out half the time, for whatever reason, don't buy a bulb discharger.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:59 PM
NitroAssassin

Default RE: Ruined battery

don't sweat it, you can probably save the pack.. how many cells is it? I'll tell you a little old school trick alot of these young guys don't know, it may sound crazy but trust me I have saved hundreds of batteries like this and they're still being used to this day...

If you have a 12v automotive battery charger, hook up your battery pack to the charger on the lowest amp setting which is probably 2-4 amps.. don't be scared of the 12v, it wont hurt the battery as long as you monitor the battery pack... Hook it up to the charger and as soon as you feel it getting a little warm take it off.. let it sit for a 1/2 hour then hook it back up to your charger and see if it recognizes it..

Cells need to be hit hard when discharged to zero to bring them back.. All us old r/c guys have learned these things through testing.. we didn't have all these fancy auto chargers that do all the thinking for you back then.. Give it a shot and get back to me in this thread..

good luck[8D]
Old 03-21-2008, 01:00 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

The packs may not be hurt at all. Charge on a wall charger to 150% OF capacity at a slow rate.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:01 PM
-EXTRA-

ORIGINAL: NitroAssassin

don't sweat it, you can probably save the pack.. how many cells is it? I'll tell you a little old school trick alot of these young guys don't know, it may sound crazy but trust me I have saved hundreds of batteries like this and they're still being used to this day...

If you have a 12v automotive battery charger, hook up your battery pack to the charger on the lowest amp setting which is probably 2-4 amps.. don't be scared of the 12v, it wont hurt the battery as long as you monitor the battery pack... Hook it up to the charger and as soon as you feel it getting a little warm take it off.. let it sit for a 1/2 hour then hook it back up to your charger and see if it recognizes it..

Cells need to be hit hard when discharged to zero to bring them back.. All us old r/c guys have learned these things through testing.. we didn't have all these fancy auto chargers that do all the thinking for you back then.. Give it a shot and get back to me in this thread..

good luck[8D]
My dad showed me that trick a while back..it really does work
Old 03-21-2008, 01:04 PM
guver

You can also do nothing and the pack should spring back up to a nominal voltage by itself if it isn't shorted inside.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:53 PM
ryuhito

The easier the fix, the dumber you feel...

I took my cheapo little Losi wall charger (for the Mini-T batts, no less) and cut off the plug, clipped the wires to the leads of the batts and left it on for 2 minutes. Tried it back on my main charger, which recognized it fine. Worked for both batteries.

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies, and thanks to guver for sending me down the right road. NitroAssasin, if this didn't work I was headed down to the body shop to throw it on the 12v charger!

PS I'm still destoying the bulb discharger, I'm taking it target shooting tomorrow!
Old 03-21-2008, 02:02 PM
guver

There mat be a voltage sut-off you can add, or just don't use it. Dischargers in my opinion have caused more damage then good.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:10 PM
×SlappY×

you can also charge all the cells individually. and rebuild the pack.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:40 PM
sxcurtin

ok how do repair a single cell???
Old 03-22-2008, 06:48 PM
sxcurtin

as in a pack how can i fix one cell????

they are 9.6v tenergys 4500mah and the shrinkwrap connected to the negtive wire in both of my packs has melted and they have gotten sluggish in performance.
i think i might have dead cells???????????[:@]