Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official DB-01 Durga Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
rymansl2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DB-01 Durga Thread

ORIGINAL: Echelon

ORIGINAL: Advil

I am planning on getting one of these buggies in the near future (perhaps this summer); I know it is soon to ask this, but where is the best place to buy it?
rcmart.com
RCMart has the best price ($155) but its another 20-30 dollars or so to ship it. You can get it from tower for $196 I believe and they end up being pretty close. It all depends on what you want to do.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 PM
gman1

Tower Hobbies prices suck for Tamiya parts and other stuff as well. They have some pretty high prices i have noticed in comparison with other places.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Advil

ORIGINAL: rymansl2

ORIGINAL: Echelon

ORIGINAL: Advil

I am planning on getting one of these buggies in the near future (perhaps this summer); I know it is soon to ask this, but where is the best place to buy it?
rcmart.com
RCMart has the best price ($155) but its another 20-30 dollars or so to ship it. You can get it from tower for $196 I believe and they end up being pretty close. It all depends on what you want to do.
I was not aware of rcmart's shipping cost. It may be better to order from tower afterall. The good news is that I have plenty of time before I place my order, lol.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:04 PM
gman1

Hey advil, do you plan on getting any hop up parts when you order the Durga kit?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 PM
rymansl2

I didn't even equate in tower's coupons. so its even cheaper to get it from tower than RCMart. RCMart is the best place though to buy hop-ups. Hands down the best imo. Great prices, great selection, and great service.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:24 AM
Advil

ORIGINAL: gman1

Hey advil, do you plan on getting any hop up parts when you order the Durga kit?
So far, I am interested in the aluminum damper set by 3Racing. I may steal some ideas from ry though (since I really like the way his DB-01 looks) .
Old 04-01-2008, 03:28 AM
gman1

Well then if you plan on getting a good amount of option parts when you order the kit, you will be better off buying from rcmart or stellamodels. Regardless of the shipping being more, you will save some money.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:03 PM
rymansl2

Yea get the hop-ups from rcmart, rcstation, or something like that. Much cheaper than american companies. Also since the parts are small the shipping isn't rediculous like it would be to ship the whole durga kit overseas.

Oh and btw. These are the coupons tower currently has:

If Your Order Totals: YOU SAVE Click on Ad#

$100.00 - $149.99 $10.00 011TM
$150.00 - $174.99 $15.00 011TN
$175.00 - $199.99 $20.00 011TP
$200.00 - $224.99 $25.00 011TR
$225.00 or more $30.00 011TV

So you can get the kit for $183.98 (thats including shipping). I also figured it out on RCMarts site and its $200.06 (thats including shipping as well, but not other fees they sometimes include). Its cheaper from tower and you'll get it sooner.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Advil

I will definitely look into rcmart for hop-ups in the future.

As far as the kit, tower seems to be the right place to get it at, especially with those savings. I plan on doing this project during the summer, but if my budget allows, I'll try to take advantage of tower's sale at least for the kit.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:34 PM
mog ruith

ORIGINAL: mog ruith

to install the servos on the durga do i have to cut an ear of the servo like the ta05 does?

nobody to answer??
Old 04-02-2008, 02:51 PM
gman1

I would have answered you question if i knew what you were talking about. What do you mean cutting an ear off the servo?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 PM
mog ruith

you ever own a ta05? cos i dont know how to explain this maybe you can look up in the manual for this the part where
the servo is attach to the servo mount part of the servo has to be cut off
Old 04-02-2008, 09:34 PM
rymansl2

ORIGINAL: mog ruith

you ever own a ta05? cos i dont know how to explain this maybe you can look up in the manual for this the part where
the servo is attach to the servo mount part of the servo has to be cut off
Oooooooooh I know what your talking about. No you don't have to cut off the ear of the servo. It fits in the normal way.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:06 PM
rymansl2

Well heres an update on my Durga. I've progressively gotten more ballsy with it since I ran it for the first time . Its even got some battle scars to prove it. Nothing too major though so I'm not worried. At first I didn't want to use it much cause it looked so nice, but I realized that I can't just let it sit there on my desk. Its built to be used and I should especially since I spent so much money on it, lol.

So heres a video I took today of running the thing in my street. Its handling is amazing and can grip the road like a street car. You can see that when I do the slalom type turning in the video. Its a super fun car and really fast. I changed the configuration of my ener-g 7 cell into a hump pack so I can how fit that into the durga. Thats what its running on in the video. Makes a HUGE difference. I also tried to show the color changing paint a little better when the video first starts. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FRtFQMsNx4

Also below are some random pictures I took today of my two favorites
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46976.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	924661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69358.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	924662  
Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Advil

Hey ry, nice car(s) .

Update: The video works now.

All I can say is..... Awesome <---- [X(][X(][X(]
Old 04-10-2008, 02:15 PM
gman1

I was wondering if any of you guys have heard of or maybe tried tungsten carbide balls for the Diff? A site called Acer racing carry an assortment of high grade bearings and Diff balls. I was thinking about getting some for my DB-01. I wish i had a digital camera so i could show you guys some pics of mine. I have just about all the possible hop ups available for it. I am also waiting for my hyperion charger so i can charge up my lipo pack and see the difference in performance compared to Nimh. I own the team orion 3600 carbon edition which you can get for $89.95 from tower and stormer hobbies. I cant see myself ever buying a Nimh battery again considering the price for Lipo is not much more. The Durga truly is an amazing buggy. With the proper hop ups it's right up there with the best of them for sure.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:52 PM
rymansl2

Yea I'm just not ready to buy a new charger yet. And lipo is still more expensive. It may not be a ton more but its enough, lol.

Just go to bestbuy or some store that sells cameras and take a picture of the buggy in the store,[sm=bananahead.gif]. Bring your own memory card so you can take it home with ya
Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 AM
simalive

Wow rymansl2!! Those are two sweet~~~ cars! I love the S2000 too! Awesome.
Sorry if it has been asked before, but are those 3Racing shocks on your Durga? Are they a good purchase? (Want to upgrade mine too, but the Tamiya ones are just so much more expensive)
Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
simalive

Here're a few pics of my Durga. Took it to the loose stuff for the first time yesterday. The car just seem to "come alive" and was so fun to toss around.

Name:	Us53909.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	927392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91977.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	927393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43207.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	927394  
Old 04-11-2008, 09:10 AM
rymansl2

Thanks man . I've got to say that I LOVE my cars, haha.

Awesome action shots you got there. I have yet to really "throw" my durga around yet. I need to find a really open place to do it.

And yep those are the 3Racing shocks. They are much better than stock. Idk how they compare to the Tamiya TRF shocks, but I would never pay $60 for shocks.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

You guys have some nice Durgas, Im jealous I need to build mine[&o]
Old 04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
NitroStar

Hello there. I''ve only ran my Durga about 3 times. I seemed to handle very well. I had to get used to it though. I''m used to driving 2WD buggies & trucks. I had to drive it like my touring car going into corners. If I hit the brakes a tad too much, the rear comes unglued easily. Still was making faster lap times than my T4 though.
1. What setup changes (from the stock build) did yall make to get it to handling better?
2. You guys are going to have to list your "hopups" that you have on your Durga. Detail them too. Like: what pistons, oil, springs, in those 3Racing shocks, and what length are they (part #). List all your parts that are not stock. This will help out a lot. I have not bought the slipper clutch for mine yet.
3. I have a Novak Velociti 6.5 in it, so I am trying to take it easy on it.
4. The stock battery brace is pretty much worthless. I don't like hearing my batteries slap around like that. I'm making another one out of aluminum. I'll post it later.

Name:	Ge95157.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	928982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15445.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	928983  
Old 04-14-2008, 09:53 PM
rymansl2

I haven''t started racing mine yet so I really haven''t gotten into dialing in the suspension and stuff like that. Here is my build thread though it has a list of all my hopups and the part numbers. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7130240/tm.htm

I do highly suggest better dampers. They will make a huge difference. A front one-way will help too on the corners.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:40 PM
gman1

I took my durga for a run today. I had incredible bash session with my new Lipo battery for the second day in a row. I had so much fun today and now realize what all the hype about Lipo technology is about. Along side my Team Orion 3600 carbon edition lay my Mamba Max 6900 system which is the only brushless system i have owned, but to me is the best out there. Once the motor starts to lose performance i will probably replace it with something non Castle creations. Has anyone tried out the orion vortex motors? If so i would love to hear feedback about it.
The options on my Durga includes the new Tamiya dampers(which have been great so far. ), the obvious slipper clutch, front one way, aluminum front and rear suspension mounts(Awesome), the TA-05 carbon battery strap, 501X aluminum suspension mounts, front and rear 3racing carbon fiber shock towers, and i think that is about it. Yes i do know that if i add all of that money together i will come up with a high price,but every penny spent on her has been well worth it after seeing what this buggy was capable today. The whole time i had a smile on my face and realized that i love this car and think that it may be one of the toughest, most durable,high performance 4WD buggy on the market. Yes i know that this buggy has it's doubters and critics but if you actually held this buggy and saw how it performed today that you would probably buy one. Sorry for the ranting, but i just wanted to share my love for this car with you guys and let you know how much i appreciate owning it. BTW I can wait for the next buggy that Tamiya releases soon. Im talking of a TRF style piece of work like the 501X and the durga. Tamiya always has something up their sleeve in the making.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:18 AM
rdhuffy

I received my stock Durga from Tower yesterday afternoon, and assembled it in about 5.5 hours total (less electronics and painting). I used RCScrewz Stainless Steel Hex Heads throughout (had a bunch left over from the set), and assembly went really smooth. It was a blast to put together, and feels "beefier" than my Rustler/Stampede/Bandits do. I'm waiting on a new Airtronics MX-3 FHSS radio and HiTec HS-645MG servo for the electronics to come in from Tower next week.

I have also ordered from tower the following Hop-ups which should come in mid-next week:
- Slipper Clutch
- 501x Stabilizer Set
- Front One-Way Set
- F/R Universal Shafts
- Aluminum Spacer Set

I haven't run the buggy yet, but so far I'm pretty impressed with the feel fo the stock shocks, but I know I'll either get the 3Racing ones or the 501X's before too long. I'll be painting it this weekend, and put the electronics and hop-ups in it next week. I have a MM5700 combo I'll pull from my Rustler to put in the Durga, but not sure which pinion to run in it? I have a full set of Robinson Pinions, but they are all 48 pitch, and I thought I read somewhere that the Durga has a different pitch. If so, all I have are the two pinions that came with the Durga. Advice??

Also, I have 3 Radio Shack GP NiMH Packs that run good and will fit, and two Hyperion Lipos. The 3S Lipo will fit "okay" in the Durga, but the 2S is too long to fit without serious modification. When I run the 3S on the MM5700 in the Rustler, the temps are REALLY high. I figure I'll start out with the NiMH and try the 3S once dialed in, checking temps frequently.

I have a question regarding the Ball Diffs. I've read around these forums, that it's recommended to tighten the ball diffs as much as possible and then back off a half turn or so. I did that and they still "seem" pretty tight. My only experience with diffs have been the planetary gear diffs in the Traxxas models which turn very freely. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Thanks again for all the info in this forum and I'll keep you posted on the remaining progress and post photos soon.

RDHuffy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.