Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

hpi body's sucks major.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:19 AM
jonnymobil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi body's sucks major.

does annyone else feel they got ripped off on an hpi body?i bought a new e firestorm and put my brushless kit in it and the first time i flipped backwards from the power it grinded literaly half of the body away.i have flipped my t4 30 times at least and still have no holes in it.for real 1 time! and the body is thrashed.i am not talking about cratches imean holes,grinded away from maybe a 5 foot slide.whats the deal? so much for the durablity of hpi?ha what a joke.this is it for me,i am done with r.c. well it was fun folks.good riddens.
this is the last time i get ripped off by this rc thing.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:24 AM
Foxy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: hpi body's sucks major.

Wow, that's staying power. If you really feel like that, then you made the right decision, RC is not for you (not hobby grade anyway).

Yes, HPI bodies are thin and basically, not very good. that's why everyone trashes their first body and gets a proline next which is twice as thick. I don't know if there is a proline body for the e-firestorm, but if there is, I suggest you pick one up. There's not much else wrong with the car.

I don't think you're really ready to throw in the towel are you?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:45 AM
freestylingford

I offer 150 today.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:02 AM
Foxy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS. Original post edited, and 1 post deleted. No buying or selling in the forums please guys. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 AM
gman1

Ha Ha. This hobby is not for you. If something minor like that is gonna turn you off from sticking with RC then you need to find another hobby. He said "this is the last time i get ripped off by this RC thing" That is too funny.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 AM
RCJesse

Yeah, its hard to come into the hobby thinking you'll buy a RTR car and you'll never have to buy anything else for it. Imagine if he finds out all the maintenance these cars need to stay running in good shape? Good luck with your next hobby...
Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 AM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to admit i was a little discouraged when i hit the garage door at full speed and snapped a servo saver in two, but the first time i flipped i fully expected body damage. things break and wear as you use them, and this goes for any hobby. if you're leaving RC because you don't expect to replace or maintain damaged equipment, then i hope for your sake you don't pick skydiving or rock climbing. [&:]
Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Enzyme80

I have flipped, slid, and run it under a car it got stopped by the body (thought I could make it) with my e-firestorm and sure I have some scratches but nothing major at all. I am not on brushless but I have slid probably close to 10 ft after a cart wheel and I figure if that is not putting holes in it or cracking it I would say that it is at least decently durable. Anyways good luck w/ whatever you choose next.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 PM
RC_Basher20
My Feedback: (4)

just get a different body which is more thick dont give up on rc so fast, unless more stuff has happend in the past... which we dont know...
Old 04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Access

In my experience the body is pretty weak, I tore up the body in the first 5 runs or so, tried to reinforce it with aluminum strips and duct tape but it tends to just make the problem worse. I've done the same to my rustler and no actual body damage to that one. Nothing to gripe about seriously, it's a great truck otherwise, just get a cheap third-party body and that's all there is to it. No truck is perfect but this one is pretty damn close. Bodies just aren't their strongest point.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:34 PM
sloppyG

I agree

it was entirely the body's fault that the truck was upside down and sliding
Old 04-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Redvanmafia

your getting outta the hobby cause of a 15 dollar body?, thats hardly a good reason nobody said it was cheap, get a new body
Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM
DARKWAV

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You know I never really thought to ask about the durability of HPI bodies. That sux because I just bought a clear HPI DSX-2 body to paint-up this week and run out at the track. My original body is still in one piece I was just tired of running pre-painted shell at the track. My spoiler did break off at its base but it seems to be holding now with a . 040 styrene strip reinforcing the base of the spoiler with a surface coating of Shoe Goo (tried it once without Shoo Goo reinforcement and it didn't last one run!). I don’t know if that's really going to hold up though in competition at the big track. Similar reinforcement at the body post holes are doing a great job keeping those areas intact after the area had taken damage before the reinforcement. There I used .020 Styrene, but that's more of a fully coated medium for the Shoe Goo (the .020 Styrene with a single coat of shoe goo one one side pasting it to the body doesn't hold up…both sides need to be coated).

Anyway I assumed all bodies would wear like that. Guess not. Considering the robustness of HPI chassis I'm surprized they offer weak bodies. Whish I would have know this I would have just tried out some Pro-Line bodies instead of trying to keep my Firestorm looking like a Firestorm.

Well this will be my first paint job so it probably turn out looking pretty lame anyway.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Every hobby has its ups and downs. The down side of the r/c hobby is you. Learn to drive like you'd respect a real car...
Old 04-01-2008, 08:18 PM
sheograth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like their bodies for on road cars. They're affordable, look good, easy to trim, and come with lots of nice decals. I don't really have any experience with their off road bodies other than the Baja 5B one, but that body is very well protected just due to the nature of the car.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 PM
fusebmx13

well thats fine, we dont need people like you complaining anyway. sorry you busted a jusnk body anyway. most of the stock bodies that come with trucks get screwed. mine is junk on my stampede, who cares, get one that looks good and then use the old one as a basher. its not that big of deal dude, if i flipped my truck the fist time and my tires flew off and my motor exploded, i might get out of the hobby because it is to expensive.

whatever, we cant tell you otherwise. good luck with your other hobby lol
Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Haulin Azz

ORIGINAL: jonnymobil

does annyone else feel they got ripped off on an hpi body?i bought a new e firestorm and put my brushless kit in it and the first time i flipped backwards from the power it grinded literaly half of the body away.i have flipped my t4 30 times at least and still have no holes in it.for real 1 time! and the body is thrashed.i am not talking about cratches imean holes,grinded away from maybe a 5 foot slide.whats the deal? so much for the durablity of hpi?ha what a joke.this is it for me,i am done with r.c. well it was fun folks.good riddens.
this is the last time i get ripped off by this rc thing.

What a little baby, grow up and learn to drive. I bought a mlst2 for over 200 now have over 300 in it and beat the crap outta it, but atleast i know how to drive. I have many brushless vehicles and know how to drive so maybe you should just go back to a little 10 dollar forward>turn in reverse>rc from walmart. I think these hobby ones might just be a bit to much for a three year old baby that can't drive.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:18 AM
paintstikker

Most RTR vehicles come with thin bodies that will not hold up to as much as those thicker aftermarket bodies or bodies that usually come with kits. My HPI Savage X SS body is still up and going after a year and a half; it has two cracks but it's flipped, rolled, slid, etc more times than any of my other vehicles; it's survived heavy impacts as well...
Old 04-02-2008, 12:39 AM
freestylingford

I have had my storm in some really bad positions and have not managed hardly any body damage but she hasn't seen much asphalt either. Did you forget what asphalt does to your skin? Same thing goes with just about everything else.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:45 AM
jonnymobil

na i just figured it would last more than one time on its lid.i spent humdreds on this thing and now its like oh back to the hobby shop.i have owned a dozen or more trucks,nitro and electric and i have never seen a body so flimzy.i was told that hpi makes the most durrable stuff but i guess they were only talking about some stuff,or the savage 2 chassis to be axact.i flipped my t4 tons of times and it doesnt have anny holes in itwhats the deal with the e firestorm.iv had losi's and cen's and kyoshos and i must say this body is only 10% if that as strong as anny of the others.its like paper.i dont mean to gripe i just work hard for my money and i dont like getting ripped off.my band new truck,thrashed.why?so hpi could save 25 cents.has any of the major companies ever tried actually making something of quality?well i guess that would defeat the purpose,they want you back at the hobby shop as soon as possible.i guess thats just the way life is.they would rather have you back spending more money than having fun and learning to drive better.thats the hole reason rc isnt bigger than it is.most people have to go back to the hobby shop before they ever have anny fun.i knew alot of kids that got a "ready to run" on christmas morning only to realize its not ready to run.i just think it would work better and you would get alot mre people intersted in rc if companies consentrated on giving people an enjoyable expeariance rather than keeping people allways needing something.rc companies intentionally design products to force you to spend more money,hey if you dont the first 300 you spent is useless.think i am joking?here are some examples.

1 A.M. radios with nitro. i mean come on unless you live inthe north pole,you will have interfearance,your car will run off on you.THE RC CAR MAKERS KNOW THIS!
2 nitro models with no throttle return spring.now an fm radio may cont more to produce but i can buy 100 springs in a box at the hard ware store for like 2 bucks.2 cents each to protect your nice new ofna buggy.but no.THE RC PEOPLE KNOW THIS TOO.
3 plastic transmissions.my stampede trans blew up on the first pack,i had 3 minutes of fun.
4 cheap servos.do they really think that 45 oz in will steer my ofna buggy?it cost te same to produce a hi torque servo as a low torque.true the metal gears may cost more but when it come down to production cost its maybe annother dollar,at most for the metal gears and the actual motor is the same just with less windings.its like it cost the same to make a 12 turn titan motor as a 27 turn titan motor.but still cheap servos.

now i know it is a buisness but dont you think it would be more profitable if more people got involved? i have 2 roomates that were verry interested when i got my first model,but they never did buy one and they told me it is because it seems to them like a rip off money pit.they said your allways going back to get something else you need.or something aint right or this is not working.i am just saying it would have been 2 more people involved but they said they never see me have anny fun doing it.its a money pit.

i rest my case.

hi spots in spur gears? accident? or sales ploy?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:16 AM
Access

It's a body. It's made to protect the rest of the truck and that's it really. Personally I think it's a good RTR and the only gripe is the body as already mentioned. But no RTR is perfect. That's just life. It's a comparitively minor thing, no reason to get all wound up over it. If you've been in this hobby for a while, you've replaced pleanty of bodies and if something is going to break, I'd rather it be the body than anything else on the truck.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 AM
gman1

ORIGINAL: Access

It's a body. It's made to protect the rest of the truck and that's it really. Personally I think it's a good RTR and the only gripe is the body as already mentioned. But no RTR is perfect. That's just life. It's a comparitively minor thing, no reason to get all wound up over it. If you've been in this hobby for a while, you've replaced pleanty of bodies and if something is going to break, I'd rather it be the body than anything else on the truck.

I couldnt have said it any better than you Access. You nailed it right on the head. I think this guy really isn't meant for the "whole RC thing" I think he should take up skydiving so when he needs to replace his equipment he will neglect to do so and will end up dead. Ha HA.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 AM
The Mad Modder

Some rtr bodies are probable made thinner to lower costs. I've never had a problem with an hpi body and consider hpi to have some of the best and most detailed bodies out there. My brother has a e-savage and the stock body is made very well. It's handled rolls and crashes with next to no damage to show for it.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

I have never had a problem with a HPI body........................
Old 04-03-2008, 02:59 PM
j.m.

you need to pick up basket weaving. I think it will suit you perfectly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.