Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Whats a good Beginner Buggy???

Old 04-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Contra_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good Beginner Buggy???

Hi,

Im looking to have some fun...

Dont know much about RCing.. but I would like to start at the point.

Im looking for a RC buggy, Electric i guess for now.

Price range under $100 - 150... looking for an affordable one yet durable and reliable.

Im not looking to race quite yet, just to have fun. Once I get more into it, then i'll move on to better car (even nitro).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

Contra_
Old 04-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Big Z

Default RE: Whats a good Beginner Buggy???

Well you could always look at the traxxas bandit (and im sure many other buggies from other companies but i dont know any really lol) or you could always look over ebay. ebay usually has some good deals if you dont mind getting something used. Also does the 100-150 include batteries and everything needed to run the buggy, or just the buggy itself?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Phelansa

$100-$150 is pretty low to get a new buggy/radio/batteries/charger and the basic tools needed to keep a Hobby grade RC going. I think that unless you can stretch your budget slightly you will have to look for something second hand.

I recommend something like the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJHZ5&P=SM]RTR XB Tamoiya DF02 Rising Storm[/link]. All you need to add to that is a charger and battery. I do not know of many better deals than that. Unless off course you are willing to look at one of the cheap Chinese Knockoffs? Something like the [link=http://www.fuyuanrc.com/en/detail.asp?id=10866]Haiboxing Buggy [/link], these are knockoffs of an old Tamiya design the TL01B. You cannot get much more basic than this, but they do seem to give very good service. Just know that in this hobby more than in most you get exactly what you pay for.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:16 PM
ekimusman2

rustler xl-5 would be a good first buggy IMO
Old 04-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Big Z

also this will give you a decent list of some RTR vehicles

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...A&FVSEARCH=RTR
Old 04-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Contra_

So we looking about $40+ extra for battery, charger... ?

I was thinking no more than $170 with all included...

again just looking to see if this hobby is something that I would be able to do, if time allows and other things...

but thanks for the feedback, also any more suggestions are welcome
Old 04-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Phelansa

I would say somewhere around $200 would get you going with a good entry level offroad.

First decide what you want to do. What would suit your driving style better? 2WD or 4WD? Do you intend running on rough surfaces or long grass? All of these would determine what car would suit you best. Might be that a buggy would not be the best car for you?

You could also consider something like the HPI Wheely King, the HPI E-Firestorm, Even the Traxass Stampede. None of those would ever handle even nearly as well as the buggy. But they will handle rough terrain better. The Tamiya 1/12 Lunchbox or the Midnight Pumpkin are legends. They just do not ever stop... The list that BigZ posted the link to should be pretty helpful.

There are many choices. Keep one thing in mind. Competition in this hobby is incredibly tough. None of the Major Manufacturers can afford to release a "bad" car.

Oh, and you can use a "Discount code" if you order from Tower. Dont know exactly how much... but you should be able to get about $15 to $20 on an order of about $175?? Perhaps somebody could help you with a code?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Contra_

How long does it take to charge these batteries... ?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:29 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: Contra_

How long does it take to charge these batteries... ?
That really depends on what particular battery and charger. The very cheapest chargers are trickle chargers that can take anywhere from 10-24 hours. However, most chargers will take around an hour or less (depending on the battery/charger).
Old 04-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Calin666

I just bought a Duratrax Evader BX RTR, and am very happy with it.
It's a 2 wheel drive, and comes with every thing you need to run, except the battery for the car.
I got mine off of http://www.towerhobbies.com. They also have an Ultimate Combo Package, that comes with literally everything you need (battery and charger included) for $184.98
Check it out here if you are interested: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ1263**
Duratrax has a GREAT warranty, if anything does go wrong.
Case and point: I flipped it the day I got it, and in a freak accident, while off the ground, in the air, the right rear tire smashed a tree, with a sickening crunch. It broke two parts, rear chassis plate, and the transmission case. Fortunately, both parts are under their one year, no questions asked "Stress-Tech" warranty. I e-mailed them about it on Saturday, and before the day was over, they e-mailed me back letting me know that both parts were in the mail, and should be here in two - three days.
I think you might really enjoy it, and it is great for having fun like you described. Just don't take it off some 15 - 20 foot jump. No 1/10 buggy is going to take that with out breaking something.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:47 PM
BigTb17

Wow, I was just about to post a link to that very same ultimate combo^ .

It should be a good way to get started. The battery and charger are pretty basic, but shoud get you started. If you use the discounts they have right now that should come out around your $170 mark.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Contra_

That one sounds good, how far less is this one that suppose to come out in May? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LXTXT8**

Its at $156.99 with combo pack.

Where can I find these discount codes?

Old 04-20-2008, 07:09 PM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

For a begginer rc...the evader ext, only 110, then put in a nice battery/charger...runs ya 150-200, greatest deal evva

For a begginer buggy...the traxxas bandit...it's like indestructable, only about 30 or so dollars more.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:13 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: Contra_

That one sounds good, how far less is this one that suppose to come out in May? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LXTXT8**

Its at $156.99 with combo pack.

Where can I find these discount codes?

That buggy is very similar. It has a slower motor, gear differential in the transmission (vs a ball differential in the BX) and a couple other small differences (no charge jack on the transmitter so it's probably a slighly lower model, but should work fine). Hard to say what other differences there are because it isn't out yet.

If you go to the home page on Tower Hobbies you will find a list of the current discounts: [link=http://www.towerhobbies.com/]Tower Hobbies[/link]
Old 04-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Dirt_hawg

ORIGINAL: Calin666

I just bought a Duratrax Evader BX RTR, and am very happy with it.
It's a 2 wheel drive, and comes with every thing you need to run, except the battery for the car.
I got mine off of http://www.towerhobbies.com. They also have an Ultimate Combo Package, that comes with literally everything you need (battery and charger included) for $184.98
Check it out here if you are interested: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ1263**
Duratrax has a GREAT warranty, if anything does go wrong.
Case and point: I flipped it the day I got it, and in a freak accident, while off the ground, in the air, the right rear tire smashed a tree, with a sickening crunch. It broke two parts, rear chassis plate, and the transmission case. Fortunately, both parts are under their one year, no questions asked "Stress-Tech" warranty. I e-mailed them about it on Saturday, and before the day was over, they e-mailed me back letting me know that both parts were in the mail, and should be here in two - three days.
I think you might really enjoy it, and it is great for having fun like you described. Just don't take it off some 15 - 20 foot jump. No 1/10 buggy is going to take that with out breaking something.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats right.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Calin666

In another thread, I asked about the difference between the Evader BX, and EXB.
The reply I received was: "....the bx has bearings $25, foam tires, $15-20, and some other stuff...."
The transmitter does have a charge jack if you want to use rechargeable batts, so that is a bonus.
If you buy the EXB, instead of paying the $30 extra for the BX, you will most likely just end up upgrading to parts that come standard on the BX.
IMO, the BX is the way to go starting out.
I have another Duratrax product (Duratrax Raze 1/8 4wheel drive Nitro buggy) and am very happy with it, and would not have bought an Evader, if I did not trust the company I was buying from.
And like I said above, the warranty is great, and easy to deal with if something does go wrong. I guess Duratrax has some deal with towerhobbies.com, since Duratrax already had my receipt and order number on file. That's why they just sent me replacement parts, and didn't ask for proof of purchase.
Kind of nice. I like a linked world like that.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Jarrett123

ON the new lipo batteries you can spend $100-150 alone.[X(] I used to be into indoor off-road 1/10 racing, but im into nitro now.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Always Dreamin

I would check out the Evader EXT. Since your new to the hobby, your not really commited to a buggy, or anything else for that matter. The EXT is cheap, like $99 I believe, and can be upgraded heavily. It has some nice features, too. You should check it out. When you say "electric FOR NOW," are you looking at going nitro when you get further into the hobby?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Contra_

Yea I've narrowed it down to the EXT, still trying to decide how much I want to spend right now on charger and battery. I do plan on getting a nitro down the line as well. but for now just trying to see where this will take me, as I am new to this and new to the city I now live. So finding others to bash with might be hard.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:01 PM
funcentric

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, we've come so far after 12 years. So much on the market now by Haiboxing and HoSpeed that fit the beginner budget buggy sector.