Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

A day on the beach gone bad...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Stealth_Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A day on the beach gone bad...

Hey,

I went to cannon beach and was driving my Rustler around the Haystack. Fun...

...until my Rusty found a hidden pothole in the sand, filled with saltwater. [:@]

I took it out, drove it to make sure it was okay, drove for like 3 seconds, then was acting like the battery was dead voltage. I let it dry for a bit, then I drove it again, this time, no more of that, now it won't run in reverse.

I sent an email about if they can repair it. From firsthand experience, have any of you had your truck fixed from them for water damage, or does that just void their support? And I also heard they may require a payment for the repair, which is around... what price?

Thanks alot for the help, I was pissed after the accident today.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A day on the beach gone bad...

Here is this directly from the Traxxas website.

All of the Traxxas electronics come with an extended service plan. After the expiration date of the 30 day warranty period, Traxxas will repair electronic components for a flat rate of $15.00 U.S. plus $5.00 U.S. for shipping and handling (EVX, VXL, XL-5 & XL-10/XL-10M may be subject to additional charges. See below). The electronic products covered by this extended service plan include electronic speed controls, transmitters, receivers, servos, and battery chargers. Motors and mechanical speed controls are not covered. Other mechanical repairs will be estimated separately. The covered repairs are limited to non-mechanical components that have NOT been subjected to abuse, misuse, or neglect. Products damaged by intentional abuse, misuse, or neglect, may be subject to additional charges.

EVX, VXL, XL-5 and XL-10/XL-10M electronic speed controls that have been damaged by intentional abuse, misuse, water damage, or neglect, may be subject to charges in addition to the $15 warranty charge. The maximum additional charge will be automatically assessed when an EVX, VXL, XL-5, XL-10/XL-10M has been rewired with non-factory connectors. The factory connectors must be in place in order to connect the speed controls to factory test equipment (see below for fee break-down).

EVX, VXL-3s:
Out of Warranty Charge: $15.00
Shipping/Handling (domestic): $5.00
Additional Charges for Misuse/Abuse/Rewiring up to: $25.00*
Total Charges (not to exceed): $45.00

XL-5, XL-10, XL-10M:
Out of Warranty Charge: $15.00
Shipping/Handling (domestic): $5.00
Additional Charges for Misuse/Abuse/Rewiring up to: $15.00*
Total Charges (not to exceed): $35.00

*The maximum additional misuse/abuse/rewiring charge will be automatically assessed when and EVX, XL-5 or XL-10 has been rewired with non-factory connectors.

Here is the link to it http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...light=warranty
Old 04-26-2008, 01:27 AM
paintstikker

The electronics would have been okay if you immediately turned off the vehicle, took the case off the ESC (and Rx as well if a significant amount of water got in it), dabbed a paper towel on the PCB to get the water off and let the unit sit for about 30 minutes, that is if it got wet. I've used this method many times and it has not failed yet.

Water doesn't really dry in the casings because they are tight, no sun or heat (generally) reaches inside, and the material likes to rust before it'll dry out.

I'm not sure on warranties on electronics with water damage though...
Old 04-26-2008, 02:13 AM
Stealth_Pilot

Yeah,

Unfortunately, I was very far away from my Rustler when it took the dip. So it had maybe 20 seconds of sitting there with only the servo above water.

I'm gonna send it in for repairs. So do I just package it and send it to their address or something?
Old 04-26-2008, 03:51 AM
savtraxx

the exact same happened to me the cardidnt go then it had reverse then it wouldnt fo then it had reverse!! arrrrgh then about 2 or 3 days later my esc died take your esc apart and blowdry it chances are grim but...i hit a puddle i couldnt see i replaced my e firestorm esc with a lrp a.i supposedly waterproof esc
Old 04-26-2008, 03:54 AM
savtraxx

ORIGINAL: paintstikker

The electronics would have been okay if you immediately turned off the vehicle, took the case off the ESC (and Rx as well if a significant amount of water got in it), dabbed a paper towel on the PCB to get the water off and let the unit sit for about 30 minutes, that is if it got wet. I've used this method many times and it has not failed yet.

Water doesn't really dry in the casings because they are tight, no sun or heat (generally) reaches inside, and the material likes to rust before it'll dry out. did you get that method off xrc issue 148?

I'm not sure on warranties on electronics with water damage though...
Old 04-26-2008, 06:54 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I just had some dealing with Traxxas support. they specifically noted that if they could tell the esc was damaged by water the repair would be $30 plus $5 shipping. I just put mine in the mail so I have no idea how long it takes. You need to email support first and they will give you instructions for sending it in. I wouldn't tell them about the water - maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:23 AM
savtraxx

no everyone knows the smell of burnt circut board better be honest if they catch you lying .... if you tell the truth even if its costly youll probly get treated with more respect.

think of the tale the big bad wolf!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:34 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I was not saying to lie, just saying to say nothing. But I highly doubt they would miss anything either.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Stealth_Pilot

I sent an Email to them, about everything. Sending it in for repairs is much more better than buying a new one. I can easily handle $45.