Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Stinger
61.54%
Titan 12t
38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Stinger 540 VS. Titan 12t

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinger 540 VS. Titan 12t

Just want your guys opinion on this. What motor do you think has lasted longer for you and is more reliable overall. Some of you newcomers that have only tried the titan 12 or other people who have only tried one or the other please dont vote because your opinion is biased.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: Stinger 540 VS. Titan 12t

In my personal opinion the Stinger is much better due to the fact that all the ones I used for racing lasted extremely long. I had a couple stingers last a couple years of hard use and abuse and of all 3 titans that I bought had dies within the first 20 runs. Thats about a months worth of runtime for me.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:28 PM
SavageX78

Default RE: Stinger 540 VS. Titan 12t

I voted stinger. I read the traxxas forums and the titan 12t is more of a hit or miss. You may get a good 1 you may not.

Edit: Also my opinion is not bias I have a buddy that has 2 XL-5s and Ive had an XL-1 so Ive seen both in action.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:46 AM
boomerman15

Originally Posted by Takedown
Just want your guys opinion on this. What motor do you think has lasted longer for you and is more reliable overall. Some of you newcomers that have only tried the titan 12 or other people who have only tried one or the other please dont vote because your opinion is biased.
The stinger is still running on my 10year old traxxas bandit but just recently started to slowdown/bad excceloration. Does anyone know a good motor to replace it with?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:22 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a bit unfair to compare a 12t to a 20t motor....
The Titan is a higher rpm motor, so on similar gearing to the 20t, it's going to be faster. But there is going to be a higher current draw across the brushes so of course it's not going to last as long... Due to the increased heat and arching. (Heat been the big issue with Titan motors)

I'm my experance with brushed motors of all types.... The lower the turns the motor has the faster it's going to wear out.
mainly because the brushes are been draged across a faster spining communicator.

generally when we get motors around 12t they are modified motors... So they have longer brushes and thick wires from the brushes.
the Titan does not... Generally a Titan fails not from the brushes wearing out of burning up. It's from them coming adrift from there spring mount or the spring failing.

so I'd say if u want a ok speed and torque for a bash car get the stinger...or a tamiya 23t sport tuned motor

if u want a something faster and a motor that's generally pushed to its limit from stock gearing get the Titan

but if u want the preformance of the Titan and reliability of the stinger get a modified 12t motor.
mofified motors are awesome in the way they have there own wire for the brushes and don't rely on the spring to conduct the electricity

Last edited by phmaximus; 05-30-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 PM
sdyjh

Just want your guys opinion on this.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:06 PM
thehuntingterminator

I voted Stinger. Titan 12t's are extremely hit or miss and honestly the problem is that it's too low of turn which makes it run too hot for the vehicles they put it in. But what's even worse is that Traxxas knows of this issue and how extremely popular it is for the average RCer to burn up his Titan in no time, but they keep them in there as a marketing tactic to give you just another reason to go with the VXL system. Ridiculous...
Old 06-18-2014, 01:22 AM
strhsrtjhu

Old 06-19-2014, 06:21 AM
fjjdfjsfhu