Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

better brakes for rusty

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default better brakes for rusty

well, i love my rusty vxl. one problem i have is, when running at high speeds on-road and i go to brake, the truck will often spin around(sometimes more than once) if i VERY carfuly apply brakes then it will stay straight, but it takes longer to stop.
any ideas on how to make some manual brakes for the front tires? maybe with a 3 channel TX and another servo? anyone every tried on some 2wd stadium truck?
Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: better brakes for rusty

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

well, i love my rusty vxl. one problem i have is, when running at high speeds on-road and i go to brake, the truck will often spin around(sometimes more than once) if i VERY carfuly apply brakes then it will stay straight, but it takes longer to stop.
any ideas on how to make some manual brakes for the front tires? maybe with a 3 channel TX and another servo? anyone every tried on some 2wd stadium truck?
I have seen it done on an HPI Baja 5B, as it is only rear wheel drive. There is some company out there that makes a front disk brake kit for the HPI Baja 5B, but I cant seem to find any pictures of it. It was in a recent Radio Control Car Action magazine though. If you could find that, you might be able to make something similar to their design. However, you would not want to put the front brakes on a 3rd channel if you were to do this, as they would apply unevenly from the rears and cause the truck to spinout more. You would have to get a Y-Harness to plug in your front brake servo and the ESC to the receiver so they would both be on the same channel and would apply the brakes at the same time, resulting in straighter and faster stopping if the wheels dont lock up.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:54 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeh, i see your point about needing a y-harness. i actually have one from a mlst. i guess the tricky part is making the disc setup and the linkig. i know that the rusty can never be a racer, but it would be nice to have alittle brake on the front to even things out.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

yeh, i see your point about needing a y-harness. i actually have one from a mlst. i guess the tricky part is making the disc setup and the linkig. i know that the rusty can never be a racer, but it would be nice to have alittle brake on the front to even things out.
Linkage wouldn't be a problem, just use the shifting/brake cables off of a bike, and keep them in the bigger black tubes. The real trick would be getting each cable just the right length so when the servo pulled on them, one side wouldn't apply more brake than the other. Also, building the calipers to and mounting brackets for the calipers would be a big challenge. And you would have to figure out some system to key the brake disc onto the wheels. It would require some kind of weird offset brake rotor/disc, and unless you have a lathe, would be very hard to make.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:26 PM
jimroad471

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look and see if vxl has "braking profiles" . You can adjust the braking force form there , i believe
Jim
Old 06-08-2008, 06:25 AM
sxcurtin

go on the design of a 4x4 rusty.
only dont put in the tranny. it would be away easier.
just bring in some dog bobes from each wheel and have a servo operating 2 disk brakes like on a 1/8 buggy.
have two so that you havent a locked diff.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Dudelive

ORIGINAL: jimroad471

Look and see if vxl has "braking profiles" . You can adjust the braking force form there , i believe
Jim
That sounds like a better way to go. If you get front brakes on the vehicle, applying front brakes can make your problem worse due to the weight shifting when braking and causing the rear to be extremely lite and doing a loop d loop. That's not even counting getting BOTH front to apply the exact same braking to each seperate wheel at the exact same time. Just a very slight difference in left and right braking will make it worse than you have now. Set the braking to antilock if there is a setting for that and it should help if not totally fix it.