Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Novak XBR Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 PM
BigTb17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novak XBR Sport

I purchased a Novak XBR Sport/13.5 Turn EX motor for my RC10T4 today. I got it home, soldered on a Deans (it comes with a Tamiya connector for the battery) and it started pouring down rain, thunderstorm, tornado warning, the whole works.

I wanted a brushless system to eliminate maintenance and increase runtimes. Increased performance was a factor, but not the main concern. Which is why I opted for the 13.5 turn system. Since the XBR Sport can handle down to a 8.5 turn I figured I could always buy another motor later. I also wanted a sensored system because I appreciate low speed smoothness (just picky about that for some reason). I have run 27 turn "stock" as well as 19 turn and 17 turn motor. Due to the area I drive I didn't really care about higher top speed than these motors offered, but I do enjoy torque.

Due to the previously mentioned weather I haven't gotten to do a proper test run. However, from driving around my living room (and a quick pass on the wet sidewalk during a lull in the rain, couldn't resist) I can say that I am completely pleased so far. It is buttery smooth at all speeds in forward. I can creep across the room with a smoothness that even some brushed motors I've used couldn't rival. Reverse doesn't seem to be as smooth and it almost seems to search for the rotor rotation for a second if you try to go slow. However I can live with a little reverse jerkyness at low speeds for how smooth it is in forward at all speeds.

I threw a partially charged 6 cell 3000 mAh Ni-MH battery (Venom) in it to test it out. A quick blip of the throttle produced a noticable sound from the slipper clutch. With my previous brushed motor (19 turn Trinity brushed) it didn't notaceably slip at all under normal acceleration. I tightened it a little and it wheelied across my living room easily. Plenty of torque. The quick pass on the sidewalk seemed to rival the 19 turn for speed, but I didn't go far because I didn't want anything to get wet.

I will update with a better review once I can do a more complete test drive. Just seems like there are dozens of people who will tell all about their Sidewinder/MM and how it performs in their vehicles, but very few about the Novak systems (or any others for that matter). I like Castle Creations products and have several, but now that I have a Novak I just thought I'd share.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:50 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Novak XBR Sport

Thanks for sharing. and thanks for sharing the weather too (we got it at 8:00pm)

I have Mambas too. But I have 1 Novak ss sport 5800 which I think is same as yours ? but much older. I use it in my Dark Impact buggy and it is real smooth and has plenty of power with 6 nickel cells.

I bought mine used and it works grerat.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:13 AM
MT

They are nice and smooth, I finally put one in my B4, so now both are running similare systems. What is your gearing? You will be suprised how much larger you can go on the pinion on a 13.5. BE SURE to keep an eye on temps though.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 AM
BigTb17

Right now I have a 19 tooth pinion with the stock spur. I haven't really gotten to run it yet due to the weather. If it isn't raining when I get home tonight I will take it out and see how it does. I'll get out my temp gun and try a couple other pinions as long as everything is staying cool.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:26 PM
BigTb17

Well I just got done with a little better test (my Energizer rechargable AAs crapped out in my radio, so I only got about 10 minutes in [:@]). So here is my "review" of the XBR/13.5 system.

The system is packaged pretty well and everything is already connected and soldered up, ready to go. The ESC had a Tamiya connector for the battery so I soldered on a deans before mounting it. The motor wires are soldered to the ESC and motor so you don't have to do anything to them. However, they are soldered directly and have no connectors, meaning they cannot be disconnected unless you unsolder them, or cut them and install bullet or other connectors. The wires are plenty long for my application (T4) and I'm not going to bother adding connectors (and unneeded resistance) unless I need to lengthen them, or change the motor. The sensor wire can unplug from the ESC easily enough, but the motor would require dissasembly for wire replacement. However the wire came with a nice, plastic protective wrap which should help avoid damage somewhat. The wire for the receiver plugs into the ESC just like it does in the receiver. This makes it replaceable if something were to happen to it. I've never had that problem, but I guess it is a nice touch just in case.

The included documentation is a little confusing about gearing (seems to contradict itself with some motors), but is otherwise very good. It is pretty well laid out and easy to follow for programing, etc. The package also included a length of wire for setting the system up for brushed motors and several wire ties for tidying up the wires. It also includes the usual decals and product adds.

The system was extremely easy to set up. The one button setup was simple and the default settings are great for me, and likely many users. Everything was very intuitive.

Once installed and setup it was time to run it. I used a 3000 mAh Ni-MH 6 cell Venom battery; works ok, but not a great battery by any means. I used a 19 tooth pinion with the stock spur gear which was the same setup I used on my 19 turn brushed, Trinity motor (warm, but not hot after running). It was very smooth and responsive, no cogging or stuttering whatsoever in forward. In reverse is stutters pretty noticably at low speeds, but it isn't a big issue.

I was surprised how much torque it had on my 6 cell pack (my 19 turn seemed a little anemic and I though maybe it was the battery). On pavement it will consistantly pull the wheels up several inches and ride it for a good 3-5 feet while accelerating. On occasion it hooks up a little better and ends up slaming the body into the pavement. It accelerates incredibly quickly. Definitely doesn't lack torque.

It isn't going to break any speed records geared the way I have it. I would guess around 20-25 MPH (pure guess, I haven't verified it). I could probably gear it up a tooth or two on the pinion and get some more speed without any problem, but where I drive I wouldn't be able to go much more than 25 or so without getting into trouble anyway. I think being able to accelerate to full speed almost instantly is more important for fun in my situation. I was driving it pretty hard, over and over full throttle starts, wheelies, tall grass, etc., and the motor was barely even warm when I stopped. Granted, I only ran for about 10 minutes because my radio batteries died, but I obviously wasn't overstressing the motor. It could probably be geared up a bit with no issues. Still, if you are looking for high speeds you probably don't want this motor (13.5 turn). The speed control can handle down to a 8.5 turn brushless though (no limit on brushed motors if you want to use them) so I can always just get another motor if I get the speed bug. The combo is offered with a 8.5 or a 10.5 turn motor if you want more speed. I don't need higher top speed right now and wanted the runtime of the 13.5 turn. After 10 minutes or so on the 3000 mAh it was still going strong. Hard to give a good report on runtime when your radio dies[]. However, my batteries are kinda crappy and I'm sure my 19 turn would have been losing punch by the time I stopped, but this setup was still pulling the wheels off the ground when my controller started beeping.

Overall I think it is a great system for the money ($175). You can get a Sidewinder for a little less, and in all honesty it would probably be faster with the right batteries (though I can't say for sure about the 8.5 turn system, which is the same price). But for a smooth as butter, sensored system with built in lipo-cutoff and a race legal setup you can't go wrong.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

I've got the same system in my Wild Willy 2, and I have to agree with you on how nice it is. The 13.5 has a nice balance of speed, torque, and run time. Especially run time. On a fully charged 3000 I can get darn near a full hour of run time.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
BigTb17

Kitsune, nice avatar. Re-Volt! I wish I still had it.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 PM
paintstikker

I have Mambas too. But I have 1 Novak ss sport 5800 which I think is same as yours ? but much older. I use it in my Dark Impact buggy and it is real smooth and has plenty of power with 6 nickel cells.
The SS5800 has a little more top end than the XBR 8.5 so it's faster than what he has, which is the 13.5 equivalent to the SS4300.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:14 PM
BigTb17

Just a little runtime update. I just got home from work and took my radio batteries off the charger. I used same battery in the truck that I was using yesterday without charging it. The battery sat overnight after being charged before I used it (weather) then I used it for about 10 minutes yesterday (radio batts died) and it sat overnight again last night. When I got home tonight I plugged it in and drove the truck out to my porch. I extended my antenna on my radio and punched the throttle and the truck wheelied off my porch grinding the body the whole way. I drove it hard for another 10 minutes or so (wheelies are fun) before it started slowing down.

This was a 3000 mAh Ni-MH 6 cell Venom battery. I would guess 20 minutes of hard running. Considering the battery is a couple years old and that it sat for two nights I am completely satisfied with that.

I have been thinking about getting a couple new batteries because all I have right now are two Venom 6 cell 3000 mAh. Honestly, when I saw how much power it still had, and how long it kept running tonight I starting thinking maybe I didn't really need any more batteries. I'm sure I will get something eventually, but this motor certainly seems to make better use of the power it has than my brushed motors did.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:52 PM
rcpack

hi, did you ever change the pinion size yet. If so, did your car get faster and stayed at a normal temperature? i was thinking of getting the 13.5. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:22 PM
omster
My Feedback: (8)

I'd like to know how the pinion size effects run-time & temps too... I've just installed the XBR 13.5 combo in my Stampede and it seems like the motor is running a bit hot - ESC & battery seem normal...