Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

How hot should my ESC get?

Old 06-14-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hot should my ESC get?

I have a brand new Desert Truck, and I just ran through half of my 4200mah battery, and I touched the ESC heatsink and it was really hot.
I just put a new motor in it and I suspect that may have something to do with it.

What is causing it to overheat so much?
Old 06-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Default RE: How hot should y ESC get?

Your new motor may be on the limit of the ESC's handling capability or your Batt may push the ESC beyond recommended running time..

ESC's should get warm, but you should be able to maintain contact with it for more then 5 seconds without getting burned, If you only last 2 seconds or less then there is a Heat/ Current issue and you may need to look at your gearing to suite the new motor..
Old 06-14-2008, 06:52 PM

Default RE: How hot should y ESC get?

My no limit ESC gets hot after a good run but like magnat says you should be able to hold your finger on it for 5 secs at least.
The heatsink should help clear some of the heat so if it doesnt have one install one,also which plugs do you use,if it isnt high cap ones like deans etc better to get some now
Old 06-14-2008, 06:53 PM

Default RE: How hot should my ESC get?

Okay, I can touch if for a while, but if its there for a long time it kinda stings.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:56 PM

Can you tell us what motor you have upgraded to and what ESC your truck has ???

Sounds like your on the limit of the ESC's safe handling level..
Old 06-14-2008, 07:11 PM

This is why the finger rule doesn't work. It's inaccurate, everyone with a nice hobby grade car should have a temp gauge. They are so much more accurate, and you can setup your car easier.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:17 PM

I have the Orion SV2 Pro BB 15t and its the stock 12t esc.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:43 PM

That combo should be fine m8 Your a good few turns over the limit.
So id say its either the size of the battery ie stop every ten mins to let things cool down for a few minutes.
Or your using cheap plugs like bullet connectors and there heating up the ESC from the battery pack.
Ive just changed over from bullet connectors to deans anything under 15 turn motors are pulling alot more power through those connectors...
Old 06-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Whats your gearing? I think if your over or under geared the ESC gets hot.

How are motor temps?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:52 PM

Looking at the stock picture of the DT it seems to come with tamiya connectors + adding alarge size battery id say thats your problem those tamiya bullet connectors dont allow the volts to flow through that well causing heat ive noticed this since dropping under 17turn motors too.
That battery you have is a good size so i guess you get a good runtime on it etc Do the tamiya plugs get hot too?In the end they will get so hot they will fuse together in a mess ive done it before[]
For the cheap price of deans its not worth risking damaging that battery pack get some now even if like me your soldering sucks lol get your local LHS to do it for you.
The money you spend on deans plugs now will save you money on ESCs and batteries in the future trust
Old 06-14-2008, 08:02 PM

Ahh I didnt realize it came with tamiyas. In that case as tiger76 said change them to deans. You could also use Duratrax powerpoles they can be soldered or crimped but its better to solder them and get a solid connection.

After changing them your ESC should run cooler.

Im surprised the Tamiyas havent melted yet.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:37 PM

So change the esc and battery connector to a deans. Ill go in to the shop tomorrow and see if they can help me do it.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:35 PM

I just took my DT for a short little run to see if the new part was working, and I come back in and the ESC is really hot. and I Was just outside for a second.

I tried to get the shop to solder a deans on, but they didnt have time so Ill hacve to wait for a while.

I mean the heatsink was really hot for such a short time.

Is it the tamiya connector, or is the motor too fast for the ESC?

Also, I did a bit of driving in some tall lawn grass so maybe that did something.

Do I have to worry about any damage if it gets too hot?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:49 PM

Well if it gets very hot for a long period of course it will damage the electrics in the end.
Your motor/esc combo is fine m8.

Look at it this way the tamiya plugs are only useful for stock motors ie 27turns.ive even heard people say there only on batteries to stop them shorting the wires while in the post lol
To be fair on stock motors they do fine,ive upgrading alot of motors and tend to find once under 17 turns the tamiya bullets plug cant handle the power flowing thro which causes heat which causes melting which causes damage.

Deans and powerpole connectors allow more volts through to the esc and dont build up heat as your 15 turn motor is drawing alot of power from your battery(all mod motors do) it needs a good connection to manage it.

The simplest way of putting it is imagine trying to fit 15 people at once through a 1metre wifth door,peeps gonna get hurt,the deans are like a 3 metre width door,see what i mean.

Also tamiya connectors build up heat and melt due to resistance in the connection.

So yes deans on ESC and battery also might wanna get your charger done too or you can buy tam>deans connectors but tbh just go deans and be done with it.

With deans installed you will get less resistance meaning more power for motor traveling through the esc its a win win m8
Old 06-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

id say its a combo of poor connectors, and gearing(if you havent changed it) if you havent, youll be hurting the esc and motor. use either a smaller pinion gear, or a larger spur gear. a lower turn motor has more rpms, but less torque. lowering the gearing will let it get upto its full rpms easier. the stock gearing will put too much strain on it. id did that when switching to a hotter(lower) motor, and killed the motor.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:54 PM

if you have the cash get a dtx 8turn esc or lrp a.i. esc
Old 06-15-2008, 04:33 PM

No good putting a lower turn ESC til you change the plugs over it will justmore heat
If your after a cheap no limit ESC get the ripmax quake ESC