Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best Starter Elec RC Truck for the $ ?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 AM
SmattaHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Starter Elec RC Truck for the $ ?

I'm new to elec RC trucks.
I am interested in getting a nice RTR starter all-around truck, best for the money?
I would like to be able to go Lipo from the start, and prefer maintenance free
brushless, if possible. I will probably use on beach and dirt.

I like the look of the Losi Desert Truck 1/10 RTR.

What are the best competitors?

All recommendations appreciated!

Thanks
Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 AM
04DarkShadowGT

Default RE: Best Starter Elec RC Truck for the $ ?

Here are your major options. There are others some may post up. But these are all 2wd stadium truck style RTR electrics.

Your only brushless options are the firstorm flux, VXL cars, and the Speed T. The Flux cannot take 3S lipo where the VXL and Speed T can. The bandit is your cheapest brushless option. You can use lipo on pretty much any of them but you will need a low voltage cutoff purchased seperatly for all cars except the Flux, Speed T, and VXL cars as those have them built in.

$100 - $175
1 - Duratrax Evader EXT - $99 http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=DTXD29!1001
2 - Traxxas Rustler XL-5 - $150 http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=TRA3705!1008
3 - Traxxas Stampede XL-5 - $139 http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=TRA3605!1008

$175 - $250
1 - Traxxas Slash - $199 - http://www.impaktrc.com/product_info...oducts_id=2668
2 - Traxxas Bandit VXL - $225 - http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=TRA2408!1008
3 - HPI Firestorm - $179 w/coupon - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTDU6&P=ML
4 - Losi Desert Truck - $209 - http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=LOSB0102!1002
5 - Associated T4RS - $215 - http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=ASC7024!1007

$250 +
1 - Traxxas Stampede VXL - $254 w/coupon http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSDB6**&P=ML
2 - Traxxas Rustler VXL - $259 w/coupon - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSDB7**&P=ML
3 - HPI Firstorm Flux - $279 w coupon - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXUHD1**&P=ML
4 - Losi Speed T - $295 - http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=LOSB0101!1002
Old 07-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Fr33ze

Traxxas bandit VXL is the best bang for your buck since its already brushless, but with all the kits you still need batteries and a charger. You can use both regular NiMh/NiCd or lipo batteries with the bandit. Parts for the bandit are very easy to come by since its using most of the same parts from the traxxas stampede and rustler.

On the other hand, for about the same money it will take to buy the VXL bandit, battery and charger you could get the E-savage kit and it comes with two batteries and a dual charger, so it is truly RTR. Its a twin brushed system, 4x4, and can take a beating. Its capable of running brushless later on down the road when you can afford it. It will pull wheelies out of the box which is a big bonus in the fun department.

Theres a good bunch of other RC's as well, so just wait it out for others to chime in with their experience, and research these for yourself too.

Cheers.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:14 AM
ohgrfreak

Traxxas Rustler and the E Firestorm are the most durable, those and their brushless counterparts. Evader EXT is cheap for a reason, you will be replacing parts left and right with an EXT. If you get an Evader, get the ST or BX (stronger) versions.

EDIT: brushless didn't even pop in my head when I posted. You want to go brushless, E Firestorm with the brushless system of your choice or the E Firestorm Flux, hands down.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:16 AM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: ohgrfreak

Traxxas Rustler and the E Firestorm are the most durable, those and their brushless counterparts. Evader EXT is cheap for a reason, you will be replacing parts left and right with an EXT. If you get an Evader, get the ST or BX (stronger) versions.
The new EXT has a better plastic than the ST or BX. Its more flexible for impact resistance.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:18 AM
ohgrfreak

I have one, and the plastic is garbage. That's the reason I ended up doing a Nitro to brushless Evader, I had to toss almost the entire EXT vehicle it broke so often, and the parts I kept went onto/into a Nitro chassis.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:35 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Eh I had one and never broke it. I guess its just how ya drive it. I choose to run into stuff as little as possible. j/k
Old 07-20-2008, 03:41 PM
ohgrfreak

I know you're just kidding, but look at it this way, I drive all my RC's the same. My old Rustler lasted way longer than my EXT and I never had to replace as many parts as often on the Rustler as the EXT. And my E Firestorm, well, that sucker is just a tank, I threw in a Sidewinder w/5700 and bashed it harder than anything and all it has suffered so far is an eaten spur gear (and that's only because I didn't have my motor screws tightened enough). I may have just gotten a lemon EXT where all the parts were made out of a bad batch of superflexiplastic or whatever it's called, lol.

All I can do is speak out of my own experience.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:27 PM
clamber

I have a Losi Desert Truck and I love it. I have a CastleCreations SideWinder 5700 and a 7cell Elite 5000 NiMH and it goes about 40mph.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:42 PM
fullauto4u

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

The new EXT has a better plastic than the ST or BX. Its more flexible for impact resistance.
The EXT is a cheaper version of the ST and BX.....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 PM
SmattaHead

Thanks for all the help!
Now I'm really confused![]

Can anyone tell me why I wouldn't get the Losi Stadium Truck?

I still don't know which one is the best for your buck?????[sm=71_71.gif]
Old 07-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: SmattaHead

Thanks for all the help!
Now I'm really confused![]

Can anyone tell me why I wouldn't get the Losi Stadium Truck?

I still don't know which one is the best for your buck?????[sm=71_71.gif]
Well, for the brushed motor trucks like the Desert Truck you need a lipo cutoff. It is about $30 and then you can run lipo on the DT.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 PM
vdubman

ORIGINAL: fullauto4u

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

The EXT is a cheaper version of the ST and BX.....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
dont bother with the ext there very cheap you get what you pay for.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:27 AM
shaunmichaeljohnson

well this may come as a shock but hte HBX bonzer is pretty hard to beat.
it's rtr but it so slow that you'll never break it

there are a FEW hop ups parts avaliable but it is very cheap.

it isnt worth going to upgrade too heavily with cause it's too hard, if you want to upgrade your first truck later on when you get better then this is not the right one at all!

but i think it's deffo best bang for buck
shaun
Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 AM
fullauto4u

Any of the Traxxas trucks would be a good choice for your first ride. If you have the extra $$ then one of the VXL models would be the best bet.

My $.02
Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 AM
andrewtexas123

Get a Traxxas Stampede of a rustler.. Great for the money stay away from the evaders very low quality!!

Andrew
Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 AM
grimreeper621

i say just get an regular e firestorm and throw in a sidewinder brushless. thats what i did and i love it, that truck can really take a good beating too
Old 07-24-2008, 08:17 AM
ohgrfreak

ORIGINAL: grimreeper621

i say just get an regular e firestorm and throw in a sidewinder brushless. thats what i did and i love it, that truck can really take a good beating too
If you want to see the punishment a E Firestorm can take, check out the E Firestorm pics and vids thread and check out my vids. Insane abuse!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: shaunmichaeljohnson

it isnt worth going to upgrade too heavily with cause it's too hard, if you want to upgrade your first truck later on when you get better then this is not the right one at all!

shaun
Yeah, if you don't mind a truck that was stolen from a Tamiya design.
If you want something like that go with a genuine Tamiya Baja King. It just has smaller tires (which won't cause the motor to over heat like the Bonzer most likely does).
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 AM
J.D.T

I agree no bonzer, the tamiya df 02 is a much better choice however than the baja king, around $100 alot of places and still has cvds, carbon fibre and other options available
Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 AM
J.D.T

sorry the $100 is the kit, the rtr is $125.25

http://www.rocousa.com/search_result...rch=fromSearch

this version has friction shocks however and is not brushless of course

these cars are tough, gear diffs last forever and can be geared lower than the bonzer, its max is 70/16 for 11.3:1 which with a mm 4600 and 2s turns normal four inch truck tires just fine, 3s for stupid fast speed runs. A couple guys are getting really gutsy and trying 5 inch tall masher 2000s on mm/vxl motor or vxl combos on 3s all the time for bashing, center driveshaft and cvds are a good idea for brushless, if its a financial thing get the rtr to play with now but consider in one year it may all be sitting there useless because you upgraded it all
Old 07-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

I agree, a Tamiya DF-02 would be a good choice as well.
An Extreme Blackfoot or Dual Hunter would be good trucks to go with too. They've go very durable transmissions that would stand up to a brushless.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F3bIMBa0dE]Brushless Wild Dagger[/link]
(the Wild Dagger is the same chassis as the Dual Hunter)
Old 07-24-2008, 04:22 PM
shaunmichaeljohnson

ORIGINAL: Kitsune

ORIGINAL: shaunmichaeljohnson

shaun
Yeah, if you don't mind a truck that was stolen from a Tamiya design.
If you want something like that go with a genuine Tamiya Baja King. It just has smaller tires (which won't cause the motor to over heat like the Bonzer most likely does).

your right it is a copy of the TL-O1B

but on bang for buck basis...
Old 07-25-2008, 09:56 PM
chevroletman17

i have a desert truck and i love it ( not made for seven cell) that is my only complaint. I blew the motor with the seven cell. but other than that an awesome truck. and not only that its got optional parts up the ass, and hauls tots with a brushless system.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:30 PM
CHAMO

I think the answer is very simple.. RUSTLER VXL... Only problem is that you need to spend like 500$ for a couple of good quality lipos and a charger, which is more than the truck itself.. Of course you can go nimh but from my experience dont waste your money and do it right since the begining.. Just my opinion.. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.