Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
33.33%
No
66.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use a lipo sack/bag ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use a lipo sack/bag ?

I said I wasn`t gonna do this , but making the switch to lipo . Some say a lipo bag is a must others say no . The racers at my track don`t from what I`ve seen so far . So let me see what you all think .
Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 AM
iamnot

Default RE: Do you use a lipo sack/bag ?

not if i'm outside or in the room with the battery while it's charging
otherwise i've got a concrete block with a concrete topper if i have to leave it for a few minutes
Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted no......................

Whenever I am chargiing either NIMH or Lipos, I am usually with in 4ft of the charger and battery. I have been using Lipos for almost 2yrs now without any problems while charging them. As long as you treat them right you shouldn't ever have any problems. And what I mean by that is never let them run below the determined voltage and never charge them at a higher amps then what the battery can handle. Always make sure you keep them balanced.....................
Old 08-17-2008, 10:46 AM
mycarisaser

I have been useing lipos for about 4 years now and if you treat them right they will be fine. I have an rc room and I have my charger and batteries on my fileing cabinet. So far I have only had one issue. That was because of a charger malfuntion but I cought it before anything happened( I got it out side before it blew up) I now have a ballancing charger that wont mischarge the batteries like my mrc 989 did. (my 989 charger was set on 5s lipo(its all that I had and some how in mid charge it decided to change itself to 6s lipo) I had the charger after that do it about 15 more times and then I threw it across the room and it now works fine. Since I lost confedence in the charger I bought the FMA cellpro 10s charger and I love it!
Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i do. they cost only $30, and can save my house from burning down. i would prefer to always watch my lipo when charging, but often have to be in another room of the house. the lipo sack is a cheap piece of mind.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:16 PM
ElectricGuy007

I voted no because mostly everyone at the tracks I visit run the Orion or Trackpower hardcased Lipo's.
People should still use a Lipo sack anyway to be on the safe side.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
calvino

i charge mine in an old ceramic "dish" that some yummy creme thing came in, plus like alot of people, i don't charge and walk away, do errands.... im very close so if anything DID happen, i could deal with it quickly
Old 08-17-2008, 01:34 PM
The Hedgehog

I have been using lipos for 4 years, never have had one puff up on charging. Chargers are foolproof nowadays hard to screw them up. So I voted no.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:34 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I can't find one big enough to put the truck into. []
Old 08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
GravityJunkie

A hardcased lipo isn't gonna stop the flames. Liposack for me. An added piece of safety is worth it to me. Not that expensive, portable and easy to use. Even if you're within 4 feet of the charger, things can get otta hand in a hurry. Doesn't matter if you're 4 feet away or 40 if you're not closely monitoring the pack. All you gotta do is have your attention turn when doing something like car maintenace...

But it really doesn't matter to me, since you're not charging it in my house...
Old 08-17-2008, 08:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats what i was thinking, even if you are 4 feet away, and one of the cell starts to vent gas...you have only seconds before flames start shooting 3 feet out of the battery. if any flamable things are near by, then they go up in flames.
sure, if you are in the same room, you may notice the battery puffing 1st. but, why create a sutiation where you need to have a hawk eye over your battery when its charging. a $30 lipo sack and save you posesions and your familly.
a LHS years ago burned down when a lipo shot out flames and cought the wall on fire. everything was lost!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:30 PM
gman1

That sounds like a made up story about the hobby shop burning down. Somebody else trying to give a bad on lipo and how dangerous they are. Nimh and Nicd are just as dangerous as lipo.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:52 PM
SD2006

I voted no. I've seen all kinds of "exploding Lipo" videos and to be blunt... They just don't scare me.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 PM
mycarisaser

The only lipos I have had go up in flames were ones that I had to try really hard to. Most of the time they just smoke really bad(NO FLAMES)
Old 08-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

I voted "no" since I have it in the center of my garage floor when charging. Which puts it about 10 feet from anything... Like was mentioned before if you don't overcharge it and are responsible, not doing stupid stuff with it, they can be safe. I have seen Nimh batteries explode due to charging at to high of a rate, now that has shrapnel.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:27 PM
drdsanders

I bought a lipo sac with my 1st lipo (I now have 2) and have yet to use it.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:41 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

thats what i was thinking, even if you are 4 feet away, and one of the cell starts to vent gas...you have only seconds before flames start shooting 3 feet out of the battery. if any flamable things are near by, then they go up in flames.
sure, if you are in the same room, you may notice the battery puffing 1st. but, why create a sutiation where you need to have a hawk eye over your battery when its charging. a $30 lipo sack and save you posesions and your familly.
a LHS years ago burned down when a lipo shot out flames and cought the wall on fire. everything was lost!
The only time you would ever have a problem with a lipo is if you miss handle it. For example if you charge it at the wrong voltage or MAH, damage the cells in a wreck, using them without a LVC, or never balancing them.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 PM
smart racer

yes....easy to use, and cheap insurance
Old 08-18-2008, 01:11 AM
bladefan

Yes, easy to use, cheap (can be had for $13 at hobbycity). Why wouldn't you at least want to buy yourself some time to deal with the situation? Basically smothers the flame.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 AM
The Hedgehog

To have themn "burst in flames" you have to be doing something stupid with your charger. Chargers will shut down before this happens most of the time anyway, if you put wrong cell count in etc etc.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 AM
GravityJunkie

Well, stupid things do happen. Like if someone runs nimh and lipo. All it takes is one time to forget to switch battery types and you can have issues. Try as hard as you want, but you are human. And with being human errors can, and will, happen.

Heck, I only run lipos. Had a buddy charge a nimh pack at the track with my charger. Couple days later I went to charge a lipo with it. Totally forgot to change the setting back. Luckily, I was keeping an eye on the pack and saw that the charge cycle didn't look right. I fixed the problem before doing anything to the battery.

However, that's been as close to an issue as I have had with lipo. However, I still take precautions in case something does happen. But charging ANY battery can be dangerous. Just make it as safe as possible.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:55 AM
The Hedgehog

I guess I never considered it, my charger will not charge a lipo on nimh setting, it has precautioon and won't even begin charging. In fact I dont htink you can puff up a battery with my charger as it won't let you do anything incorrect, it just stops charging.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:40 AM
fullauto4u

I just put the pack I am charging into a little metal baking pan, if anything were to happen it would be contained in the baking pan and would not burn anything else up.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:21 PM
GravityJunkie

What charger do you have? A battery charger cannot tell the chemistry of a battery by the positive and negative leads it charges from.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Access

These bags are a danger to small children, animals, etc. so no. If I'm doing something I shouldn't (like my experiments with intentional overcharging) I do it in the bathtub.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.