Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Constantly stripping stub axels...

Old 09-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Always Dreamin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constantly stripping stub axels...

Today I stripped 3... I have upgraded the drive shafts to the Jato ones, output yolks to steel, gears to metal, this is the only stock part in the driveline. I mostly brake it while jumping. It's usually while I'm in the air and I hear, "vrooom." They are a pain to replace and i'm running low on them. just FYI, the steel shaft is coming lose from the plastic part. that makes a total of 5 that i've broken.

here is the part - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...753x&search=Go
Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 AM
sloppyG

Default RE: Constantly stripping stub axels...

I would put some stock components back in the driveline,

upgrading everything but the stub axles left them as the weakest part, making something else that's easier to replace the weak link (or maybe loosening the slipper would help)
Old 09-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

I would use the stripped metal axles and buy 2 Traxxas steel output yokes. Bolt the output yokes onto the stripped shafts and ditch the plastic yokes.
People have used it w/o issues...
Old 09-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Always Dreamin

i will try adding some stock parts... that's a shame. [:@]
Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Fr33ze

Thats exactly what you do. Replace the outdrives with the traxxas steel ones, using the stubs that have come out of the plactic yokes. If I remember correctly, the hole in the stubz will be a tiny bit smaller then the set screw you will use, so drilling it out might be needed... I havent had to service my driveline for quite some time. All the traxxas RC's we have are done this way.

That and your slipper is probibly too tight. Oh, and let off the throttle JUST as your about to hit the ground, lol.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Gado

It's not just you, a lot of people are breaking stub axles. After I broke 2 I had enough with it(I don't even jump my pede). I drilled a bigger hole and used a thicker rod to beef up the stub axle. There's also the MIP CVD conversion and a dog bone conversion to fix the problems with the stub axle. There is a how-to on the steel outputs on the traxxas forum, search up "indestructible stub axle"
Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Always Dreamin

I'm willing to try the conversion, but it's not cheap... For like $20 more I could get a hole CVD set, what do you guys think? FLM makes some. And MIP.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:30 AM
MONSTARUSTA

mips just make sure to follow misbehavin-rc's bullet proofing method. And keep in mind that they need to be taken apart, greased,cleaned, and relocktighted every so often. Depending on driving condititions, and power levels. like I have a mm7700 system and my favorit spot to bash is a sand lot with several jumps so I rebuild them after every 15-20 packs.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

I'm willing to try the conversion, but it's not cheap... For like $20 more I could get a hole CVD set, what do you guys think? FLM makes some. And MIP.
Do not use MIP's cvd's for the pede and rustler. The stub axles on them snap like twigs. Ive broke one and my friend "pedebeater" has broken one aswell...