Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Firestorm Flux vs. Rustler VXL

Old 10-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Rody63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestorm Flux vs. Rustler VXL

Hi everyone, I'm looking to move up in scale. I have a bunch of 1/18th electrics, and want to go a bit bigger. I've narrowed the field to either the e-firestorm flux or the rustler VXL. I mostly bash on the street, and a nearby bmx park. Both of these trucks are fairly comparable in price, and from what I've read are pretty durable. What I want to know is what are the weak points in these trucks, and are there solutions that address these weak points.

From what I've been reading on these forums, most people that own them are pretty happy with them, so there is probably no bad choice between them. Let me know what you like and dislike about the trucks. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: Firestorm Flux vs. Rustler VXL

I would get the E Firestorm flux. It has a rebadged sidewinder 5700 and sidewinder esc and it handles better than the rustler.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:16 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

yeah the flux will go faster and it has all the stuff to become a sweet racer i'ld be the proud owner of a e firestorm with a sidewinder 4600 now but $ got in the way, my point being, it's way better than the rustler, tho the ruster may be a bit more durable, and have a few more hop ups availible... i'ld still go flux

the lug
Old 10-13-2008, 04:55 PM
fusebmx13

I dont know what you guys are talking about, the flux is no way faster. You can run 3s on the rustler making it do over 70. The flux can not do this because of the motor/esc combo. I had the sidewidner with 5700 motor and it sucked. No offense to anyone that uses it but the motors are cheapo quality compared to the vxl system. I do not use the vxl esc though, i use the sidewinder esc with vxl motor. In my opinion the best combo for these 1/10 scale trucks is a castle esc and vxl motor. So really i am half way agreeing with you on this because i like the castle esc's. But also just because the kv is higher doesnt mean that you can go faster, you could gear the vxl motor to go just as fast as the 5700 with maintaining the same heat.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Always Dreamin

Flux hands down. Better built IMO, better quality. The Rustlers are great for bashers, but as far as an overall truck, the e-firestorm. However, if your a basher, the Rustler has better parts support and better aftermarket. Rpm is your friend, and they don't even make parts for the Flux. Maybe after the Flux has been out for a while they will, but for a basher you need parts support and upgrades which the Flux doesn't have. I'm not doubting it's durability RTR, but if it were to break, really all you could replace it with is stock. If you LHS has it.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Chris_RC

Why would you even want to go 70+ mph? I would rather have programming over speeed. I mean I am happy with a stock motor which goes 23mpg, and if I feel like a speed demon i would get my 19t which goes 28mph.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:12 PM
camaross427

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Why would you even want to go 70+ mph? I would rather have programming over speeed. I mean I am happy with a stock motor which goes 23mpg, and if I feel like a speed demon i would get my 19t which goes 28mph.
try 70+mph..then i am sure you will want to go that fast again..im sorry but 28mph is nothing compared to 70mph
Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Rody63

This is good information to know. From what I'm getting from this discussion is that the VXL maybe a bit more durable, and has better aftermarket product support. (Thanks for the info about RPM. I love their stuff) But the Flux is a more driveable truck that handles better. Speed is an issue, but I think the difference between 65 to 70mph max is negligible. I probably won't hit max speeds a whole lot with these trucks, but it's nice to know you can. This is a big help.

The best prices I've found so far on these trucks are 299.99 at ehobbies for the Flux, and 259.00 at Stormer for the VXL. So there is about a 40.00 spread, but that's not that much.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Krazy Chicken

lol 23 mpg, my truck gets that
Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Always Dreamin

i'm not that big on speed either. I'm happy with 45. Which is rather slow considering the amount of money i have into my truck. 45 mph is fast enough, and it's enough to get me into trouble, HEHE. [>:]
Old 10-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Frozen72

Don't you want to recommend a Losi because they have a Ball Diff and best of all it's plastic. I would get the Rustler for all of the Aftermaket support.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:42 PM
04DarkShadowGT

I think the firestorm is great but you cant seriously be saying one car is better because its not as fast can you? You do know that the rustler VXL doesnt have to do 70. Isnt it nice to be able to go slow or fast? Im not even sure if the castle link will work with the firestorm esc so really how programmable is it. But the VXL is nice because you can switch from lipo cutoff on and off by pressing the button for 15 seconds, no need to hook it to a computer or go through a sequence like the mamba. Its very user friendly, is just as nice, is just as fast, and runs much cooler in my experience.

For bashing both are great, go with whichever your local shop supports the best or which is easier to get parts. If you are going to get into racing the firestorm is probably a better bet but neither is going to be great with gear diffs.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Chris_RC

I have a xxxnt which goes about 45mph but I am borrowing a XTM Mammoth MT which goes is advertized to go 55mph (only goes 45 and I dont like it) so I know going fast is good but if you wanted to go that fast wouldnt you get an onroad car? [&:]
Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

what i like about the rustler - durable, easy parts availability, cheap parts, variety of parts
what I do not like about the rustler - its heavy.
I have similar to fusebmx13 - sidewinder with vxl motor, mine is an upgraded xl5
would i buy another, probably, overall it has been a fun reliable rc

no comments on the other, never had one
Old 10-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Always Dreamin

the rustler is a wonderful truck, you can't ask for a better basher. the bodies seem to last a while, good mounting system, good parts support (amazing actually..), good aftermarket. well known, easy to upgrade, easy to work on, little maintenance, and it's a beast. i got a video of mine out in Az and the rocks there would easily trip up a e-maxx. a e-maxx would go over them, but lets just say that they wouldn't go unnoticed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCawOSqis9s

this is about the roughest terrain i ever go on. the rustler get's a little scraped up on the bottom, but nothing broken, just flies through the stuff. it's no 4wd, but i would give this car a 10/10 as far as a reliable bashing truck goes. nothing against the e-firestorm, but it sits a little lower to the ground, and the aftermarket and parts support is horrible. the only reason the car is really even upgradable is because it can use most 1/10 scale wheels/bodies. even so, FLM, RPM, and most other big brands don't make parts for them. if it weren't for the e-firestorms rather impressive out of the box durability, the truck wouldn't be a consideration as a basher in my eyes.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:22 PM
fusebmx13

If you were a man you would understand.

Its just fun.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:51 AM
VVRC

I have an E-Firestorm and I love it! I do not have the Flux and I'll tell you why.

Here is my advice....Do not buy a truck based solely on it's motor and ESC...these are replaceable parts. Instead buy a stock Rusty or E-Fire and then you can do more research and try to get the motor and ESC combo you want instead of what some manufacturer has put in their RTR. I bought an E-Firestorm (non Flux version) so I could do just that....get what I want instead of what I'm given!

I am undecided still between a MM 4600 or VXL....but I won't be getting a 5700....or even a Sidewinder for that matter....which the Flux is both.

As far as Rusty or E-Fire...You know what I chose....And I do not agree that the Rusty is a better basher....I have three E-Fire's that come to my track and skate park....those guys beat the living snot out of them!!! And they have broken very little...

E-Firestorm gives you the ability to bash and to someday race...Rusty, not so much on the racing side!![&:]
Old 10-14-2008, 06:20 AM
electricrcdude

Completely agree with him^^^^^ The Rusty DOES have better after-market support, but the 'Storm is an incredibly built truck. It handles like a beast compared to the Rusty. AND you can take the 'Storm for weekend racing...and win something while you're at it.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 AM
electricrcdude

Completely agree with him^^^^^ The Rusty DOES have better after-market support, but the 'Storm is an incredibly built truck. It handles like a beast compared to the Rusty. AND you can take the 'Storm for weekend racing...and win something while you're at it.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Always Dreamin

I think most bashers will agree that no truck is really bulletproof, they all break. I also think most bashers can agree that parts support and aftermarket support especially are big things. I'm not taking anything away from the Rustler, I think it's a pretty solid truck. Just saying, slap on some RPM and the thing will be a beast.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Rody63

This is great advice from all of you. Thanks. I'm kind of leaning towards the VXL, because of the aftermarket support, durability, price, and the fact that I have never tried a Traxxas product. I already have an E-savage, an RS4, and a Micro RS4. I'm mostly interested in bashing the truck, so racing won't be part of its destiny. Thanks for the video Always Dreaming. That's the kind of driving I mostly do, plus I run on a local bmx track to do jumps.

DarkShadow, I know HPI has a version of the Castle Link for the Flux, so I'd imagine the regular Castlelink would work. Can anyone verify that?

How do either of these truck handle jumping. Are there things to watch out for....any weak links? I appreciate all the help and insight on these trucks.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 PM
TIGER76

I have never tried a Traxxas product
Nor did i til i got my vxl and i was impressed lol always thought of them as kids RCs (yeh i know[:-])
I ran a flux firestorm too and i would say its better balanced for jumping and racing upto the rustler but the rustler has GREAT parts support even the chassis replacement is so cheap
Old 10-14-2008, 01:07 PM
glazedring

My son and I have a rustler xl5 with a vilenion system and a flux. The flux is a more stable better handling car IMO, it drives much better at speed. I'd also say they are of equal bashing ability but both hobby shops close by carry tons of traxxas dodads with very few hpi parts.

fwiw, I'm trying to get the rusty to drive like the flux.

fwiw, Santa is bringing some new trucks this xmas, they will most likely be traxxas, my daughter wants a monster truck and will probably get a stampede vxl....from santa of coarse.

david
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
grimgard

Hands down the Flux. I own one its fast..Super fast. 8.4v 4200mAh 45-50mph. This truck does wheelies. My avitar is a pic of mine
Old 10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
shaunmichaeljohnson

it's such a pain the rustler dosent have a sealed diff
i tried sealing mine and it was great till it leaked out again lol.

and that must be one of the reasons why the firestorm is heaps better in handling.

the rustler has WEAK CASTOR BLOCKS!!!!
and after youve got the castors from RPM go ahead and get everything else from RPM and then is is pretty damn hard to break.

shaun

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.