Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What to buy for Slash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 PM
HPIownage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy for Slash?

Alright so i'm kinda on a budget, but i really want a brushless/lipo slash. I want to go as fast i can go without spending too much money and causing too much heat to the motor/esc and stress on the driveline aswell. pretty much i want a pretty fast slash, that i wont have to be replacing spur gears every day let alone other parts. I will be running this on my street, and at a local park which has a baseball field and lots of open grass. I watch videos of mambas and 3s lipo setups and thats something i want, but will that setup last? as far as the esc and motor being able to handle that? im totally new to 1/10 scale brushless, but im very familiar with 1/18 brushless. i'd really like to get this project started up soon, so any help advice or input from any of you would be great! and like i said i dont have lots of money, so i probably wont be getting all this at once. Thanks in advance!

So far im looking at:
Traxxas Slash RTR
Mamba 5700 system
3s Lipo
Lipo Charger
Balancer
LVC
steel idler gear
Old 10-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Frozen72

Default RE: What to buy for Slash?

The slash already has a Steel Idler so you don't have to buy a new one. I would make sure that you have plenty of spur gears though.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Always Dreamin

everything looks good. all except the MM and 3s. it will burn up. you might want to look at either a Mamba esc with VXL motor, or VXL system. the vxl system will not have the features the Mamba will, but it will run cooler overall, and produce loads of power.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:47 PM
HPIownage

Alright so i'll get the vileneon, will it run as fast as the mamba?
Also do you guys have any recommendations on a good 3s lipo/charger?
on ebay i can get the slash and the vileneon for $365 +ship, is that a good deal?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

everything looks good. all except the MM and 3s. it will burn up. you might want to look at either a Mamba esc with VXL motor, or VXL system. the vxl system will not have the features the Mamba will, but it will run cooler overall, and produce loads of power.
the mamba system will be fine for 3 cells, im pretty sure he is talking about the mamba max,
Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Stampede Killer

ORIGINAL: Always Dreamin

the mamba system will be fine for 3 cells, im pretty sure he is talking about the mamba max,
i was talking about the Mamba max aswell. most people have heat problems running it on 2s. just as fusebmx or his brother. 3s on a 5700kv in a truck as heavy is the slash is just going to get you extremely high temps and basically wasted power.

Alright so i'll get the vileneon, will it run as fast as the mamba?
Also do you guys have any recommendations on a good 3s lipo/charger?
on ebay i can get the slash and the vileneon for $365 +ship, is that a good deal?
it will run a little slower, unless you want to gear up. a geared up vxl will run very close to a 5700kv mamba, but the vxl motors are better quality. that's not quite what i'd call a "good deal" as it's about what you'd pay if you walked into your LHS and bought one.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:49 PM
fusebmx13

RUN THE MAMBA MAX!!! The mamba max is the best esc i have ever used. The mamba max and a vxl motor is the best combo. I also have a sidewinder and a vxl motor combo. My sidewinder never gets over 125. The MM is even better, we have 2 of them and run 3s on both, we also run 3s on the sidewinder. I run 2s as well with same the same temps. On 3s and sidewinder esc geared 23/86 running on and off road after about 15-20 minutes the motor was at 150 and the esc was at 118. After another 8 minutes the motor was the same and so was the esc. If this is not good enough for you, we also run the MM in an e maxx with a faigio 2779 motor on 3s. The motor heats up real nice due to the high kv and being in such a large truck. Also it is a 50 volt motor so it did not have enough power to get moving. But the MM esc was fine, no heat issues.

If this is not good enough of proof for you then this is. We have driven the MM so hard, we have had a 7700 on 3s fall out of the truck and scrap along the ground upside down. The capacators were mangled but the esc works fine. Once while doing speed runs, with the esc on highest and start power, everything on highest. We geared way up (28/86) and were doing speed runs. Well there was a baseball diamond and tall grass around and we were driving in that to. Well after about 10 minutes of all this the esc shut down. It thermaled on us and we thought that we fried it. My temp gun did not even register the heat, it said error. So after about 3 minutes of trying to get a reading it finally said 351 haha you could bake cookies on that esc. It was so hot, let it cool and drove the rest of the pack later that day. Esc still works fine. No matter what people say, the MM is a great system, maybe not the motor but the esc is. I have played with a vxl esc and all he is ever doing is trying to program the damn thing. The button is always getting stuck down and you never know when you are in lipo mode or not. Thats not good if you have 200+ dollar batteries getting ruined by a stupid esc. Then if you try to return it to traxxas to tell them that it screwed your battery, they arent going to care, they are just going to tell you to register it. They are no help what so ever. Ask my brother (flmrustler25) we tried it with a motor its tough.

Actually i will be buying a slash by Christmas time, if the vxl slash comes out i will be selling a vxl esc to raise money to get a MM. So just keep that in mind anyone. I will be running the slash on 3s with mamba max esc and vxl motor with stock gearing to start.

Good luck with your slash, hope it works out for you.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 PM
fusebmx13

good cheap charger
[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTCK1&P=ML[/link]

balancer
[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMGS7&P=ML[/link]

As for the lipo i use maxamps ones. But you can get cheaper ones. Just make sure the C rating is high enough and the mah is more than 4000 or so. 2s is controlable and 3s is silly fast.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:17 AM
HPIownage

Alright so i'll be going with the MM/VXL motor combo. also the charger and balancer fusebmx13 mentioned.

whats a good 3s lipo that can compete with the MaxAmps products? that can give me atleast 30 minute run times if not more?

thanks again to everyones replies, you all have been very helpful!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:12 AM
VVRC

15C
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=6501

or bigger 20-30C
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=6350

Best Bang for buck! 25C
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=7240

Old 10-16-2008, 03:14 AM
VVRC

Excellent Charger/Balancer $50
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...rger_1-5_Cells
Old 10-16-2008, 05:35 PM
DrakeRemoray

Might want to give this guy a try for batteries. I can not say enough on the quality of service he has given me. I am over in Iraq and he offered ( I did not even ask) to go to the hobby shop he deals with (for items other than batteries) and pick up my Slash and get all the spare parts I needed. He is going to be getting my business from now on. He also has a lot of chargers for sale as well. I just wanted to put his company out there as one that supports the troops and hopefully be able to steer some business his way...because he deserves it. This is his website: http://home.comcast.net/~truerc/
Old 10-17-2008, 12:34 PM
J.D.T

I personally don't think the vxl motors are any better quality than the feigaos or mamba cm 36 motors but with that said 3s is going to be stupid power especially in a 2wd truck. If you got the cash go for a lehner or neu motor, they are at least twice as good as any other brands, the lehner basic xl 3100 will straight up embarass a vxl motor, the 1509 is a little stronger than the xl series from lehner but right on par with the 19 series lehner motors.