Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is the V3 out yet?

Old 10-24-2008, 12:11 AM
fusebmx13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is the V3 out yet?

ORIGINAL: Access

I love it how everyone is an expert in their own mind... seriously we don't know what went wrong or why things turned out the way they did. All we can do is hope this "V3" is 'it'.
im just saying what the dude from castle told me in an e mail. Im no expert.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:20 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: SD2006
Access - It seems to me you're bothered when people might know a little more about some of this than you do. Is it mostly because you think they're just speculative techno posers? If you don't mind me asking, what do you do in real life?
I just get a bit concerned when people start to speculate and then convince themselves it must be, or most likely is, true.
Look at this.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7994121/tm.htm
That's a true example of failure irl.
Failures irl are very complicated and often detailed things. Interconnected and not something that can be explained in three simple words (ie. "not tested enough" ).

Snipin_Willy posts are an example of something based on fact (vs. conjecture).

Now if someone says "Did they test it enough? There were failures, too many failures, so evidently not." It becomes a circular argument.

I've posted about my own talks with Patrick (at industry trade shows, etc.) but that's not pure fact and I always understood that. It's just what one person has to say.

Irl, I've always worked in the engineering world, so I've seen my share of failures. Most of them weren't based on simple three-word reasons.

If you make three statements that are true 67% of the time, all three end up being true only about 30% of the time. That's the problem with conjecture. One can reason each individual part is true 'more often than not', but even with 80% certainty, making three jumps based on 80% brings you down to 50% certainty.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:15 AM
rhylsadar

thats how i tried to "fix" my V2.

- i sawed off the motorbullets very very carefully
- ream them so that there is no contact with the heatsink anymore
- removed the whole hardcase and small fan.
- put a bigger foam under the esc and a 40*40*20mm fan (feed in by the batteries not the bec) on the heastsink
- soldered the motorwires directly on the board
- disable the esc bec
- and shrunk the whole thing with a big heat shrink tube.

some pics. i still haven't used it yet. however programming and software upgrade with the castle link functioned ok.

i'll use a receiver battery or a UBEC. not sure yet.

bye
rhylsadar
Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 AM
The Hedgehog

Looks good, rhylsadar.

Hope it works out for you, even if it fails down the line, you can just send it in for a Versionn 3 upgrade for free.

I am going to wait a month after the V3 is more readily avaliable and if all looks well I will be getting the combo with the motor for my E-buggy for racing next year. I'll use my nitro as a backup buggy because nitros are more reliable at the tracks funny enough with all these failures.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Eman77

Access - so are we not allowed to hypothesize what happened to software/hardware/anything if a given release has well publicized issues? I am simply honestly wondering what might have gone wrong for Castle (a company I respect and like) to put out a delayed product that has issues.

I apologize if my oversimplified question offended you, although I cannot understand why it would (short of you being on the engineering and/or QA team for Castle Creations).

Not Tested Enough may be 3 simple words, but can also point to deeper things other than "testers blew it". Time constraints on the test cycle, money, scope creep, etc all can play into those 3 simple words.

Regardless, I was just wondering out loud in a post. Don't understand why that got you miffed.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Access

Not miffed, ultimately people will post and believe what they want and that's that. I'm just saying, be skeptical of the short answers that equate with 'it was their fault' or 'they must have done something wrong here'. Sometimes, bad stuff happens, and it wasn't anyone's fault. It just happens, and Castle is doing the honorable thing in our time, trying to make it right (by modern standards). They're taking them all back and sending out new ones. Even in units where the problem hasn't, or is yet to manifest.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Eman77

Not miffed, ultimately people will post and believe what they want and that's that. I'm just saying, be skeptical of the short answers that equate with 'it was their fault' or 'they must have done something wrong here'. Sometimes, bad stuff happens, and it wasn't anyone's fault. It just happens, and Castle is doing the honorable thing in our time, trying to make it right (by modern standards). They're taking them all back and sending out new ones. Even in units where the problem hasn't, or is yet to manifest.
Understood. I hope the V3 has much success!
Old 10-24-2008, 02:26 PM
The Hedgehog

They pretty much have too, being packaged in the new Traxxas E-revo and all, they cannot have those failing on them. It's a make or break deal.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
phatmonk

impakt rc has the MMMV3 instock.The software update will solve alot of the problem though
Old 10-24-2008, 07:39 PM
SD2006

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7994121/tm.htm
That's a true example of failure irl.
That was a really interesting read, it brought back memories of the summer I worked for EMCO High Voltage. The owner had similar peculiarities.

Irl, I've always worked in the engineering world
In what capacity? I'm not trying to discredit you or anything, I'm just wondering what you do for a living.

My day job is quite unspectacular, I work for an engineering and architecture consulting firm as an electrical engineer. Most of the time there's very little science in what I do, it's mostly just product application, codes and construction methods. In my free time I enjoy a broad range of electrical tinkering and nerdery. I've really taken a liking to Microchip's PIC 18 series microcontrollers, makes me wish I'd have taken an embedded systems course when I was in school.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Snipin_Willy

Can you all please grow up. Serious case of Epeen in here.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 PM
SD2006

ORIGINAL: Snipin_Willy

Can you all please grow up. Serious case of Epeen in here.
Grow up? This is a toy car forum. And what brought on the Epeen comment? This tread is pretty tame.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Snaut Rocket

Okay so impakt already has them in.
still trying to decide if i should save my money and get the mm and disable the bec.
I'll wait when more people get it.